DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

I assume Roman is working, but man, if he jets after they finally threw the kitchen sink at it to get him over at that top level, that will be straight hilarious. I hope he does it because 

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

A kid jumped the rail to get a picture with him after the SmackDown dark match. Top babyface material! 

I WANNA SEE THIS. Well, not SEE it. But I want to read about it here at good old DVDVR. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Swift said:

There's an article in the Guardian today interviewing collectors, one of whom is Peter Blake, cover artist for Sgt. Pepper's. Which wrestler does he have here? Kinda looks like CM Punk.

4134.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=forma

Peter Blake is a Wrestling fan, you know:

5034442-6274395-image-a-27_1539517186618

That's him and Kendo Nagasaki, with his Kendo portrait. There's a whole documentary on the BBC iPlayer.

• Like 3

Roman has accomplished just about all you can in WWE and doesn't strike me as someone who would want to work in Japan or has a bucket list of guys he wants to wrestle elsewhere. Being a top guy he no doubt has an insane schedule, plus he's had a number of chronic health issues and scares from covid. He has five young kids and if he wanted to retire to spend time with his family once his contract is up I wouldn't blame him at all. If he wanted to be in more movies or do a Rock/Cena/Goldberg and collect the occasional one-off paycheck I'm sure that option would be available.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AxB said:

There is a theory that he already has. There's been a new ringside cameraman on AEW who is completely covered up head to toe and is suspiciously well muscled, and some people reckon that's Claudio, hiding in plain sight.

1d459af968af4874-600x338.jpg

I noticed that guy a few months ago. I think he’s a real camera guy. They use his shot quite a bit. Claudio’s great and all, but I doubt he could shoot wrestling all that well. 

Now, they may use his being all covered up to do some kind of angle later, but right now, he’s an actual camera op. 

16 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I assume Roman is working, but man, if he jets after they finally threw the kitchen sink at it to get him over at that top level, that will be straight hilarious. I hope he does it because 

I WANNA SEE THIS. Well, not SEE it. But I want to read about it here at good old DVDVR. 

Meltzer is saying that Roman is not leaving WWE but did just sign a new contract that requires far fewer appearances.  Basically, Roman has a Brock Lesnar-type deal and is going to stop working house shows.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Meltzer is saying that Roman is not leaving WWE but did just sign a new contract that requires far fewer appearances.  Basically, Roman has a Brock Lesnar-type deal and is going to stop working house shows.

That makes a lot more sense and is a lot less interesting.

• Like 3

Apparently, Nick Khan was on a podcast saying WWE has big plans for Roman in Hollywood.  I'm loooooolin about that like, "okay, does Hollywood know?"  That's like me saying I have big plans for the NBA despite being middle aged, slightly overweight, and never having had any basketball talent.  I don't think Hollywood is falling all over themselves thinking they need Great Value Jason Mamoa.  

But that's not even the best part.  No, that's reserved for the part where The Rock went to Vince for advice to get on the right track after a few flops asking to "reattach to the WWE."  

“I think he was given advice early on to, ‘Hey, get rid of the muscles. Don’t be a handsome leading man. Distance yourself from WWE.’ You saw the result was like the Tooth Fairy movie,” Khan said. “He, to his credit, like Vince and like other people, has the unique ability to see things clearly. Instead of saying, ‘Hey, this Tooth Fairy thing was great! I made X number of millions of dollars on it!’ It was more, ‘This is not what I want this to be.’ It wasn’t authentic.”

Nick Khan revealed that WWE Chairman Vince McMahon played a crucial role in course-correcting Rock’s acting career, one which included his famous return to wrestling in 2011.

“One of the people, Rock has shared with me and Vince has shared with me, Rock called was Vince,” Khan continued. “Rock called Vince and said, ‘Hey, this is not working the way I think it should be working. I think I want to reattach to WWE and I think I need to get a new agent.’ Vince helped him do that, and Rock was on his path that he’s on now.

Ignore the fact that Fast Five started filming a year prior.  The guy who wrote No Holds Barred (with Hulk Hogan and cocaine) and wanted Kane's movie character to have a six foot dick gave Dwayne Johnson sound advice on his film career that led to the megastar we see today.

Oh these carny motherfuckers.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 8

To be fair, Nick Khan probably still has a very good feel for Hollywood and is probably confident he can use contacts he still has to get Roman some high profile work.

• Like 1

Funny thing is, don't they (Khan and Vince) realize that as soon as Roman can make regular money in Hollywood, he is gone for good and the best they can hope for is a Mania guest appearance or two?

30 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Ignore the fact that Fast Five started filming a year prior.  The guy who wrote No Holds Barred (with Hulk Hogan and cocaine) and wanted Kane's movie character to have a six foot dick gave Dwayne Johnson sound advice on his film career that led to the megastar we see today.

Oh these carny motherfuckers

Keep in mind Nick Khan is friends with the Rock and wasn't working for WWE at the time. He actually might not be bullshiting this part however ridiculous it sounds to us. Rock has plenty of respect for Vince so his thoughts probably did matter to him.

Yeah I think there's a lot truth there actually with Nick Khan's quote. Mummy Returns, The Game Plan, The Tooth Fairy, Scorpion King , The Gridiron Gang, & The Game Plan were not playing to his strengths. He was working down to the material. Walking Tall & The Rundown were decent movies. But he wasn't putting his over the top personality into it. He was being kind of generic.

So it's entirely possible he talked to Vince and things clicked. Start being that over the top charisma machine you are / don't play the role as generic guys. Play every role as The Rock. That's a totally plausible conversation. And that's when things started to click for him. He juiced back up and became The Rock in most of his roles and people dig it. Hobbs is basically just The Rock in all the F&F stuff. Central intelligence, Rampage, Baywatch, & Jumanji are all just variations of The Rock.

I think the reattaching to WWE is taking the truth and stretching it to it's limit tho. It wasn't so much he wanted to reattach, it was he needed to go back to what brought him to the dance. But Khan is going to spin it in a pro WWE way because that's where he works and that's his job.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Robert s said:

Funny thing is, don't they (Khan and Vince) realize that as soon as Roman can make regular money in Hollywood, he is gone for good and the best they can hope for is a Mania guest appearance or two?

The irony of them being all “the brand is the star [and no one is over]” in a trauma reaction to Brock Lesnar jilting them at the altar in the first place back in 04 and yet here they are paving the way for their one permitted exception to that to do exactly what they’re afraid of everyone doing

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

The "Angry Wrestling Vet" shared a Google doc of @Rev Ray's Big Book of Wrestling Moves on Facebook and I'm just feeling waves of nostalgia.

And I'm days away from updating it....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The "Angry Wrestling Vet" shared a Google doc of @Rev Ray's Big Book of Wrestling Moves on Facebook and I'm just feeling waves of nostalgia.

Are we talking about this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20110614012559/http://www.deathvalleydriver.com/bbbowm/bbbowm.htm

Wait, Rev's gonna do an updated one? Sweet...

• Like 2

Not exactly new news or a surprise but..

Brett Favre, 'Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase among those sued by Mississippi over welfare misspending

The Mississippi Department of Human Services on Monday sued retired NFL quarterback Brett Favre and three former pro wrestlers along with several other people and businesses to try to recover millions of misspent welfare dollars that were intended to help some of the poorest people in the U.S.

The lawsuit says the defendants “squandered” more than $20 million in money from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families anti-poverty program.

The suit was filed less than two weeks after a mother and son who ran a nonprofit group and an education company in Mississippi pleaded guilty to state criminal charges tied to the misspending. Nancy New, 69, and Zachary New, 39, agreed to testify against others in what state Auditor Shad White has called Mississippi’s largest public corruption case in the past two decades.

In early 2020, Nancy New, Zachary New, former Mississippi Department of Human Services executive director John Davis and three other people were charged in state court, with prosecutors saying welfare money had been misspent on items such as drug rehabilitation in Malibu, California, for former pro wrestler Brett DiBiase.

DiBiase is a defendant in the lawsuit filed Monday in Hinds County Circuit Court, as are his father and brother who were also pro wrestlers, Ted DiBiase Sr. and Ted “Teddy” DiBiase Jr.

18 hours ago, The Natural said:

I never knew this.

I had this match on my coliseum video release (of IYH 2). Also, Undertaker vs Kama and Bigelow vs Tatanka (although one of those may have been a bonus match on IYH 1). The IYH 3 match was better, but that doesn't mean that this one wasn't really damn good, as well!