DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

13 hours ago, AxB said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I wanted to double back and say that I am entirely too credulous, one, and also that Bret should still write another book, two, and also that whomever wrote that nailed Bret's voice, three. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I wanted to double back and say that I am entirely too credulous, one, and also that Bret should still write another book, two, and also that whomever wrote that nailed Bret's voice, three. 

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/a-bret-hart-parody-reddit-account-is-the-best-thing-on-the-internet/

Sloppy piece of shit.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

Today is WWE money day. I will post the links later.

Also more cuts were confirmed by Zarian.

16 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I read this initially as "confirmed by Zlatan" and thought that WWE had bought in Ibra to shit on wayward trainees and dudes stuck in catering who are getting cut. 

I was like, what the fuck, did they have Zlatan come to the PC and tell some of these dudes that they didn't have greatness within them and needed to find somewhere else to be or something?

15 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Could be worse. could have been Zartan.

I read that as Zartan as well!  I was thinking, "poor Buzzer, Ripper, and Torch.  They no longer meet the size requirements.  Road Pig will be fine, though, and Zandar and Zarana will keep their jobs due to nepotism."

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

I legit forgot that Pillman was in WWE, I've always assumed that when he died it was not too long after "I respect you, Bookerman".

I started watching WWF maybe a month or two before Pillman passed. I remember even as a kid being uncomfortable with them posthumously acknowledging his storyline with Marlena to get to the TAFKA Goldust heel turn. Of course, that was my first wrestler death; I didn’t know then that like every couple of weeks I’d be seeing an RIP graphic at the beginning of Raw or Nitro. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I read that as Zartan as well!  I was thinking, "poor Buzzer, Ripper, and Torch.  They no longer meet the size requirements.  Road Pig will be fine, though, and Zandar and Zarana will keep their jobs due to nepotism."

Road Pig - monster heel to so many of our GI Joe wrestling feds...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JLowe said:

I legit forgot that Pillman was in WWE, I've always assumed that when he died it was not too long after "I respect you, Bookerman".

Whoa really? You never saw the gun angle on Raw? I watched that live and the Melanie interview as well. Both were a trip, especially as a kid. If it weren't for the stupid TV static cutouts on the broadcast I would have completely believed the gun angle. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

Stokely Hathaway (Malcom Bilvens) explaining his situation while playfully mocking NXT UK at the same time

That line about NXT UK had me in stitches.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Whoa really? You never saw the gun angle on Raw? I watched that live and the Melanie interview as well. Both were a trip, especially as a kid. If it weren't for the stupid TV static cutouts on the broadcast I would have completely believed the gun angle. 

I was not watching Raw at the time, but I do remember now people talking about that on RSPW. 

6 hours ago, The Comedian said:

He was the big face in my fed. Him and Croc Master would trade the belt back and forth

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, elizium said:

He was the big face in my fed. Him and Croc Master would trade the belt back and forth

Where did you guys have Big Boa on your Apter top ten for your territory?  He always hovered around 3-4; he was a good hand.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, JLowe said:

I mean, it was less than 2 years after. Probably just some time dilation, since this was *looks at calendar* 25 years ago. I mean, we're roughly as close to Pillman's WWE run as Pillman's WWE run was to Koloff beating Bruno.

Anyway, instead of feeling super old, let's reminisce on how Pillman was a low-key major player in WWE's transition to the attitude era. He was the first notable person to take the "chair folded around the leg" spot, which led to the gun segment. Then there was the edgier Hart Foundation which had that awesome 10-man headlining an IYH event.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, elizium said:

Where did you guys have Big Boa on your Apter top ten for your territory?  He always hovered around 3-4; he was a good hand.

Main things I remember:

My big faces were Tank Johnson (Roadblock), "Wildfire" Johnny Blaze (Chuckles), and Starman (Dr. Mindbender with a pink mask and a star drawn on it).

Road Pig was a monster heel. Various Vipers were a ninja clan heel faction. Croc Master and Big Boa were a Demolition/Roadies-esque monster tag team. Sgt. Slaughter, since the figure was so big, was the Andre-esque giant babyface. Shipwreck was a top guy. I think Dialtone was a devious manager.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AaronMLuke said:

As far as tag teams in the G.I. Joe fed, it was all about Tomax and Xamot.

That’s for damn sure. I think my main baby faces were Lt Falcon and Spearhead, Flint & Duke we’re up there too. Storm Shadow was always in the title hunt & Quick Kick and Tunnel Rat we’re my top babyface tag team chasing Tomax & Xamot. Big Boa was a monster heel for sure. I had Firefly mixing it up too. I loved my GI Joe wrestling federation so much.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, The Comedian said:

I'm kinda spacing out on Road Pig here! I sort of have an image in mind, but I'm not sure if it is the correct one? I do remember Sanzibar as far a Dreadknocks go and later on, there was very dreadknock-esqe guy called Gnawgahyde (sp?) who had a very wrestler-like appearance and muscularity!

9 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

I'm kinda spacing out on Road Pig here! I sort of have an image in mind, but I'm not sure if it is the correct one? I do remember Sanzibar as far a Dreadknocks go and later on, there was very dreadknock-esqe guy called Gnawgahyde (sp?) who had a very wrestler-like appearance and muscularity!

*Zanzibar, Dreadnoks

Road Pig - http://www.halfbattle.com/pics/roadpig-main.png
Gnawgahyde http://www.halfbattle.com/pics/gnawgahyde-main.png

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Damn, I corrected Zanzibar's spelling WRONG! Yeah, at least I remembered Road Pig's hair correctly. I was thinking shades like the OG DreadNOKS, but yeah, that was the image I had in my head. I forgot the Road Warrior-like shoulderpads, though, which makes the character an obvious choice for any action figure wrestling fed.

• Like 1