DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

Glenn Jacobs, one of the smartest guys in the biz...

Here's my Englishman living in America story. I happened to mention to my dad that I really loved Jaffa cakes, and ever since then I would periodically get sent care packages packed with packets of Jaffa cakes. Only they were off-brand Jaffas, from Aldi I believe (when you know your dad is working class). Not a big deal anyway- not as good as the originals but still not bad. Anyway, my sister somehow found out that he was sending me these cheap Jaffas and scolded him about it, and me and her kind of had a laugh about it. Next care package I got there was one packet of original Jaffas in amongst the knock-offs. Old habits and all that.

• Like 5

Watched a few minutes of wrestling last night for the first time in months.  Unfortunately, it was the Hollywood Blondes-House of Black segment from dynamite.  Glad to see that AEW brought in Brody King and Buddy Murphy, but the segment was terrible and Black’s hocus-pocus gimmick doesn’t do a lot for me.  Lol, of all the segments to randomly tune in for…..

I feel like I’m done with wrestling.  I’ve been watching less and less of it since about 2010.  It’s been years since I watched Japan, Mexico, or an indy without a national tv contract.  It’s been over a decade since I went to a live show or bought a full show.  At the moment. I feel like it will be after football season before I try out WWE or AEW again.

Truthfully, I feel like I would have lost interest entirely back around 2010 or 2012 if I hadn’t been active here at the time.

Anyway, if I quit posting here, that’s the explanation.  Nothing mysterious.  Doubt this is my last post but it’s not out of the question.  I haven’t been reading topics like I used to.

• Sad 2

I was watching the final Guerrero/Malenko match from ECW on the WWE Network last night and then a tree in the neighborhood was struck by lightning, fell over onto power lines, and that blipped the power and took out the cable internet.

So I’m gonna try watching that todayish after getting a haircut since they can’t happen twice, right?

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

I've never tried Nando's even though chicken is my favourite meat. I haven't tried Taco Bell, Five Guys, Chinese or Sushi either. There's a Pizza Express where I live but five minutes away is Pizza Pieces, my favourite place to eat run by a welcoming Italian family. The pizza is so fresh and tasty. 1/4 of a 16" pizza with chips and a drink for just over a fiver. Go every chance I get. Have to time it right as they're so busy. 

Second the suggestions by @SirSmellingtonofCascadia. Need to get some Jaffa Cakes again.

They use inches for pizza sizes in the UK?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Also more cuts were confirmed by Zarian.

I read this initially as "confirmed by Zlatan" and thought that WWE had bought in Ibra to shit on wayward trainees and dudes stuck in catering who are getting cut. 

I was like, what the fuck, did they have Zlatan come to the PC and tell some of these dudes that they didn't have greatness within them and needed to find somewhere else to be or something?

• Haha 4

https://corporate.wwe.com/news/company-news/2022/05-05-2022

https://www.pwinsider.com/article/158574/wwe-announces-record-first-quarter-2022-earnings.html?p=1

Revenue increased 27% to $333.4 million.

The new game was a success. 

The rest of the info are in the links.

The WWE’s Q1 earnings call will be up later. Vince doesn't tend to really do any of the calls anymore.

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I read this initially as "confirmed by Zlatan" and thought that WWE had bought in Ibra to shit on wayward trainees and dudes stuck in catering who are getting cut. 

I was like, what the fuck, did they have Zlatan come to the PC and tell some of these dudes that they didn't have greatness within them and needed to find somewhere else to be or something?

Could be worse. could have been Zartan.

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Could be worse. could have been Zartan.

I had to Google Zartan, and honestly, I'm not sure that is worse. 

4 minutes ago, Swift said:

Canada too. I'm curious what you guys use down south now.

Surprise is that that countries that use the metric system makes an exception for pizza apparently. I guess having a large pizza be advertised as 35.56 cm would be weird.

(disclaimer: I'm not mocking the metric system, in my line of work we use it for all of our scientific measurements)

Edited by JLowe

On 5/4/2022 at 2:46 PM, RIPPA said:

Freddie Prinze Jr says he will be starting a wrestling promotion in the next 18 months

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/other-wrestling/freddie-prinze-jr-reveals-plan-to-start-wrestling-promotion-in-next-18-months

Some notes

- Goal is starting with the next 18 months. Could be sooner but said that we require him to move to Australia for 3 months (it sounds like if he accepted a specific role being filmed in Australia it would really boost the available money for the project)

- The company could theoretically run for up to 3 years without making a profit. (Ideally he wants to be making a profit within 2 but Scooby Doo made him a lot of money)

- It looking for a full time location that the promotion would run out of

- Wants it to be a 2 hour TV show but knows he probably won't get a TV deal at the start

- Wants all the wrestlers to join SAG so they would get benefits that way

I'm guessing Macaulay and Kieran would be involved as well since those three have talked about wanting to do their own promotion for awhile now. It would be almost weird for Freddie to go forward with this without at least one of Mac or Kieran.

Ah gotcha. The imperial system is still used in metric system countries - pints being the obvious one, but also feet for height, yards in football and, in the British Isles, stone for weight, for example.

• Like 2

I'm posting WrestlingInc because PWInsiders ads are more annoying

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2022/05/live-coverage-of-the-wwe-2022-q1-earnings-call-with-vince-mcmahon-and-top-company-executives/

New WWE RPG.

At some point in the future streaming rights will come up. Part of me thinks Raw will be on some streaming service only in the future or they axe it and replace it with new two hour show. It's the USA network that insists Raw be 3 hours to this day. People who work for WWE criticized the 3 hours before, even Seth.

Anyway I measure everyone by feet. 6 foot 4 and stuff.

Edited by Blue Dragon

1 hour ago, Swift said:

Canada too. I'm curious what you guys use down south now.

A large pie is 18” (8 slices) and if you’re not getting a whole pie we order in slices. I’ll have a slice of regular, a white slice, a slice of Sicilian, etc.

Native New Yorker of Neapolitan decent here. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I'm guessing Macaulay and Kieran would be involved as well since those three have talked about wanting to do their own promotion for awhile now. It would be almost weird for Freddie to go forward with this without at least one of Mac or Kieran.

Great, another promotion where everyone's gotta make Roman look strong. 

• Like 1