DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

Bullet_Club_logo.jpg

Thinking about the Bullet Club turning nine over the weekend, which five names come to your mind when you think of the stable? To me the five biggest are:

• Prince Devitt who came up with the name and was the first leader.
  • AJ Styles who became the new leader when Devitt joined WWE.
  • Kenny Omega who led the group when Styles left for WWE. 
  • The Young Bucks. I'd say the Bullet Club was at its peak critically and commercially with Omega/Young Bucks as the Elite.
  • Like 1

Speaking of rosters, I decided to see how the numbers compared between AEW and WWE. I'm basing this on wikipedia so it may not be accurate, and includes people who are injured or barely work.

WWE main roster - 62 men, 24 women

AEW - 98 men, 25 women

29 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Drunk Jeff Jarrett was still not as awkward moving around the ring as Cody Hall

Jeff Jarrett is like a fine wine. Better with age and a higher alcohol content.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

Speaking of rosters, I decided to see how the numbers compared between AEW and WWE. I'm basing this on wikipedia so it may not be accurate, and includes people who are injured or barely work.

WWE main roster - 62 men, 24 women

AEW - 98 men, 25 women

WHY DOES WWE HOARD ALL THE WRESTLERS?~!

Joking aside - at least the AEW number is close to accurate. On their website - I think it lists 98-100 folks for the men but they also include Brodie Lee, Brodie Lee Jr, folks injured (Kenny Omega, Miro) and folks like Mark Henry and Paul Wight.

The WWE number obviously grows if you include, at a minimum, the NXT 2.0 roster

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Bullet_Club_logo.jpg

Thinking about the Bullet Club turning nine over the weekend, which five names come to your mind when you think of the stable? To me the five biggest are:

• Prince Devitt who came up with the name and was the first leader.
  • AJ Styles who became the new leader when Devitt joined WWE.
  • Kenny Omega who led the group when Styles left for WWE. 
  • The Young Bucks. I'd say the Bullet Club was at its peak critically and commercially with Omega/Young Bucks as the Elite.

Devitt
Styles
Omega
KENTA
Karl Anderson

I also think of GoD before the Bucks.

Where do Bullet Club rank in terms of all time stables though? They have to be right up there given the longevity and borderline mainstream crossover. If you wear a Bullet Club shirt there's a chance non wrestling fans will at least recognize it.

• Like 2

I can’t be the only one who took advantage of the Pro Wrestling Tees Bullet Club sale? I bought 4 damn shirts today and that’s with already having the original shirt, KENTA’s Orlando Go2Sleep Club, Stephen Amell’s Vigilante Club, & the Jay White shirt that says KING with images inside the letters. 

• Like 1

We've had the 20th anniversary of the main roster debut of Brock Lesnar, Randy Orton and Batista's is upcoming next week. Batista's best match was vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania 23, it should have gone on last and I felt that way before the show. 'Taker going for his second world title at a WrestleMania 10 years after his first. The MOTN and one of the best feuds ever in 2007 at WrestleMania 23, Backlash, Post Backlash Smackdown, Cyber Sunday and Survivor Series.

After that, Batista's heel work in 2010, still remember this line:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dog said:

8eed0454066a737c18ff647894f97a91.gif

Nick Comoroto was in Spider Man too!?!?

PUSH THIS MAN COACH TONY!!!

Give us our "Mr Brodie Lee Memorial Hoss Trophy"

Comoroto
Lee
Hobbs
Wardlow
Archer
Brodie King
Miro
Butcher
Hager
Redbeard
Bear Country #1
Bear Country #2
Special Appearance: Brian Cage
Token 'flippy guy': Luchasaurus
Shock Debut: Parker Boudreaux

That's 16.

Maybe drop the Bear Country guys for a couple of one shot matches from Paul Wight and Mark Henry?

Either way, I'm wishing it into existence Coach Tony!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Nah I wanna know who's the worst member. It's gotta be Cody Hall, right?

Cody Hall, a man so untalented AND unpleasant to work with he's burned bridges with New Japan, NOAH & DDT. God knows he kept getting chances and simply was not worth them. But I guess that name & a decent look buy you more chances than if you're just a bloke.

On 5/2/2022 at 3:32 PM, The Natural said:

Who do we have for Wrestler of the Year, Match of the Year and Show of the Year so far?

WOTY I'd currently have CM Punk for his two ***** matches with MJF on AEW Dynamite, 2nd February and at AEW Revolution, 6th March. MJF gets a honourable mention for that joining Bryan Danielson, Dax Harwood, Jon Moxley and Kazuchika Okada.

March of the Year is still Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson on AEW Dynamite way back on the 6th January. Honourable mentions: The two MJF/CM Punk matches I referred to, #FTR vs. Young Bucks on AEW Dynamite (6th April), Briscoe Brothers vs. #FTR at ROH Supercard of Honour and Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tomohiro Ishii at NJPW Wrestle Dontaku. Gave all *****.

Show of the Year is definitely AEW Revolution thanks to CM Punk vs. MJF, Jon Moxley vs. Bryan Danielson and Eddie Kingston vs. Chris Jericho.

Wrestler of the Year so far is probably Kazuchika Okada. He's had more matches over **** than anyone else on my spreadsheet, although Go Shiozaki is 1 behind and has more highs. So it's very close between them as my #1 & #2, with a group of guys breathing down their neck including Shingo, ZSJ, Takuya Nomura & Katsuhiko Nakajima. And Arisa Nakajima is in the conversation, less on quantity than on hit-rate. Cagematch has her wrestling 19 times this year, I've seen just her SEAdLINNNG stuff but that's 6 matches and the lowest rated is still "this is real good and more than worth your time". Have to love that consistency. Honourable mention to T-Hawk too who is rarely doing matches I have below ***½. Danielson obviously rules but a) I'm a month behind on AEW right now because there is too much wrestling I want to watch & b) he doesn't have quite the same volume as the names I've mentioned before. Still a great year.

Match of the Year is still Go vs Nakajima from NOAH 1/1. I love both guys, I love the current big match NOAH Heavyweight style when old immobile dudes aren't involved, it's made for me. The other ***** match I have this year is the Tsukasa Fujimoto vs Arisa Nakajima match from SEAdLINNNG 29/4, Tag partners, friends, go to war in their last SEAd outing before Fujimoto goes on hiatus to enjoy her recent marriage. Beyond that I've 8 matches at ****¾, Mike Bailey vs Bandido from Wrestlecon is top of those as a near perfect example of current absolutely over the top indy high flying nonsense. But Kenoh vs Kiyomiya, Muscle Venus vs Hoshi & Makoto, Takagi vs ZSJ, Page vs Danielson, Jericho vs Kingston, Takagi vs Ishii & Syuri vs Giulia are the others. And honourable mentions to Takuya Nomura vs Yuma Aoyagi, my fave sub 10 minute match, and Jun Kasai vs Daisuke Masaoka, Deathmatch of the Year to date.

Show of the Year is NOAH's The New Year 2022 from 1/1, Go vs Nak, Kenoh vs Kaito, Mutoh & Marufuji vs Masaaki Mochizuki & Masato Tanaka, and Inaba, Kitamiya & Inamura vs KENTA, Sugiura & Sakuraba were all great, and the Junior Tag with Aleja & Haoh vs Yoshioka & Susumu was very enjoyable too.

Have to shout out SEAdLINNNG as promotion of the year, 6 shows, 1 *****, 1 ****½, 5 ****¼, 3 ****, 5 ***¾. No one else is that consistently great among the promotions I watch regularly. Though All Japan have had an under-rated year, and NJPW have the volume but also have some of the worst matches from this year I've seen.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

Cody Hall, a man so untalented AND unpleasant to work with he's burned bridges with New Japan, NOAH & DDT. God knows he kept getting chances and simply was not worth them. But I guess that name & a decent look buy you more chances than if you're just a bloke.

Wrestler of the Year so far is probably Kazuchika Okada. He's had more matches over **** than anyone else on my spreadsheet, although Go Shiozaki is 1 behind and has more highs. So it's very close between them as my #1 & #2, with a group of guys breathing down their neck including Shingo, ZSJ, Takuya Nomura & Katsuhiko Nakajima. And Arisa Nakajima is in the conversation, less on quantity than on hit-rate. Cagematch has her wrestling 19 times this year, I've seen just her SEAdLINNNG stuff but that's 6 matches and the lowest rated is still "this is real good and more than worth your time". Have to love that consistency. Honourable mention to T-Hawk too who is rarely doing matches I have below ***½. Danielson obviously rules but a) I'm a month behind on AEW right now because there is too much wrestling I want to watch & b) he doesn't have quite the same volume as the names I've mentioned before. Still a great year.

Match of the Year is still Go vs Nakajima from NOAH 1/1. I love both guys, I love the current big match NOAH Heavyweight style when old immobile dudes aren't involved, it's made for me. The other ***** match I have this year is the Tsukasa Fujimoto vs Arisa Nakajima match from SEAdLINNNG 29/4, Tag partners, friends, go to war in their last SEAd outing before Fujimoto goes on hiatus to enjoy her recent marriage. Beyond that I've 8 matches at ****¾, Mike Bailey vs Bandido from Wrestlecon is top of those as a near perfect example of current absolutely over the top indy high flying nonsense. But Kenoh vs Kiyomiya, Muscle Venus vs Hoshi & Makoto, Takagi vs ZSJ, Page vs Danielson, Jericho vs Kingston, Takagi vs Ishii & Syuri vs Giulia are the others. And honourable mentions to Takuya Nomura vs Yuma Aoyagi, my fave sub 10 minute match, and Jun Kasai vs Daisuke Masaoka, Deathmatch of the Year to date.

Show of the Year is NOAH's The New Year 2022 from 1/1, Go vs Nak, Kenoh vs Kaito, Mutoh & Marufuji vs Masaaki Mochizuki & Masato Tanaka, and Inaba, Kitamiya & Inamura vs KENTA, Sugiura & Sakuraba were all great, and the Junior Tag with Aleja & Haoh vs Yoshioka & Susumu was very enjoyable too.

Have to shout out SEAdLINNNG as promotion of the year, 6 shows, 1 *****, 1 ****½, 5 ****¼, 3 ****, 5 ***¾. No one else is that consistently great among the promotions I watch regularly. Though All Japan have had an under-rated year, and NJPW have the volume but also have some of the worst matches from this year I've seen.

Cheers for the post and recommendations!