DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

What WWF PPVs were  blacked out in the city they took place? I know for sure that WM3 was, I'm fairly sure WM6 was too. Was WM8 blacked out in Indianapolis? Given they were running a huge stadium at a time the business was down, I suspect it would have been.

SummerSlam '92 was effectively blacked out in the UK, not being shown on Sky Sports until a couple of days later (it aired 1 day later in the US).

I don't know about Royal Rumble '97, I know they had to paper the hell out of the Alamodome to draw a respectable crowd.

WWE's "roster churn" strategy is certainly something. I'm not sure that I'd want to sign with them unless I were already a big name and therefore were able to command a big contract.

I feel like I'd rather learn from an independent trainer/on the indies than to move down to Florida with my fingers crossed that I progress at whatever pace the increasingly-erratic boss thinks I should be progressing at.

Give me a few months with Curtis Hughes and let me bounce around on the indies eating canned tuna and beans and rice for a few years while I learn my trade organically. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GodzillaPerez said:

According to SRS, Roderick Strong has asked for his release. 

It's a good time for Roderick Strong to move on. He's reached his ceiling in WWE NXT. He was never going to be a main roster product. Hoped he's made some decent money while he was there and can live reasonably well.

• Like 1

Seen on Reddit, AEW removed a few names from their roster page. As expected, Evans, Stunt, and Janela are gone, but apparently so is Stu Grayson. I just took a gander, didn't notice any other names gone. 

2 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Seen on Reddit, AEW removed a few names from their roster page. As expected, Evans, Stunt, and Janela are gone, but apparently so is Stu Grayson. I just took a gander, didn't notice any other names gone. 

Stu Grayson? Fuck 

• Sad 6

Stu *shot* on his place on the card a few BTE's back. He also hasn't been taking any US indie booking for quite a bit, while Uno has been taking solo bookings. The two of them run a school in Gatineau called The Keep and Stu looks a lot more involved with it. Not sure if he's been planning on leaving for months but it wouldn't shock me.

• Thanks 1

WWE released Roderick Strong's wife months ago. And they asked him to change his name, which he refused to do so multiple times. So add all that up and that's why he wants to leave.

2 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

WWE's "roster churn" strategy is certainly something. I'm not sure that I'd want to sign with them unless I were already a big name and therefore were able to command a big contract.

I feel like I'd rather learn from an independent trainer/on the indies than to move down to Florida with my fingers crossed that I progress at whatever pace the increasingly-erratic boss thinks I should be progressing at.

Give me a few months with Curtis Hughes and let me bounce around on the indies eating canned tuna and beans and rice for a few years while I learn my trade organically. 

Alot of guys wasted 3 to 5 plus years in a brand that should have been what AEW is now. Like if the NXT original was a true success AEW probably wouldn't be a thing. Not to say that AEW is doing early WCW Nitro Era success but in some metrics they've shown that they're successful.  I get that when you got a roster full of guys only a few a going to be a success but WWE have had stars handed to them on a silver plater and they dropped the ball because Vince didn't see anything in them. It's one thing for a few guys to be unhappy and ready to go but it's ridiculous how many people were ready to go.

It's a good thing actually that alot of these guys aren't marks anymore for WWE to the point that they are ok with just being under contract but that's the environment the company created.

I'm sure we will be seeing more interviews like Ember Moons with guys just talking about how they were just ready go. I mean it's one thing when like Moxley left and did that podcast about how unhappy and ready to leave was. It's something else when you start getting a number of them which I expect in the next few months.

• Like 3

Roderick Strong remains the final unattainable checkmark on the original List of Cody.

When Cody left, Strong signed. When Cody returns, Strong wants out. Though reports do say WWE have no plans to grant the release and that he's "factored in to upcoming creative plans".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Only a small amount of the names they can stand to lose right now. They over-packed their roster.

• Like 1

When Vince changed the vision of NXT to “no Indy guys, nobody over 30, nobody under 6’2” 235, Strong was the first guy I thought of.  Like damn, how does this guy feel now, with the company pretty much saying they see no value in him at all?

Edited by Technico Support

Remember a few years ago everyone was mad at how Ricochet was on Main Event every week assuming he wanted out of WWE then he basically let everyone know that he wasn't really worried about how he was used and he was happy with his WWE money and he still had some of his best friends on the road with him. There are probably less of people with that mindset right now.

so i'm watching an old episode of WCW Worldwide (3/19/94) and Tony Schiavone makes some (tongue-in-cheek?) reference to "Cigar Sam", an old promoter from the Dallas area. Jesse Ventura doesn't have any idea who he's talking about, and Tony says something like "i'll tell you later" but it's never mentioned again. 

anybody know who/what he could be talking about?

Long shot I know, but does anyone know what American Kickboxer is up to nowadays? I mean, I'm assuming he's retired from actual professional wrestling, but is he affiliated with any schools or promotions at all?

Someone on Kidd Bandit's Discord was asking about him.

Kick, if you're reading this, at least one young fan (I think he's early 20s) looked up your old matches and thinks you're awesome.

7 hours ago, hammerva said:

We probably should include the RIP thread but apparently Dark Side of the Ring is officially dead.  Supposedly it will be re-branded as a show about the history of the territories. 

Yeah an entire season where the final clip of every show is Gerald Brisco telling everyone how Vince kicked their ass.  Sure that will be objective

For what its worth: 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

What WWF PPVs were  blacked out in the city they took place? I know for sure that WM3 was, I'm fairly sure WM6 was too. Was WM8 blacked out in Indianapolis? Given they were running a huge stadium at a time the business was down, I suspect it would have been.

SummerSlam '92 was effectively blacked out in the UK, not being shown on Sky Sports until a couple of days later (it aired 1 day later in the US).

I don't know about Royal Rumble '97, I know they had to paper the hell out of the Alamodome to draw a respectable crowd.

WM3 was actually blacked out in the entire state of Michigan, even the Upper Peninsula. 

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Buddha damn it, I covet that hat so much that I will be forced to remain on this material plane for many generations. It was made at Alcala's in Chicago, and they had a prototype/extra on display there for years until it was misplaced in a remodeling. I did get to shake the hand of the master that made it, however. Lots of sports players shopped there, especially in the late '80s when cowboy hats and dusters were an unfortunate style option for menfolk (not everybody can pull it off). They also had a pair of Andre The Giant's boots nailed to a beam.

Bunkhouse Stampede hat:

the ur-chapeau of all lids.

Big Dust did it right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1