DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

To continue @The Natural’s question from the April thread: No, I haven’t read the Danielson book yet. I feel like I will eventually but it’ll probably be a while. 
I haven’t seen his ROH 06 match, but I loved the PWG 09 match they had together. One of my favorites.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Octopus said:

To continue @The Natural’s question from the April thread: No, I haven’t read the Danielson book yet. I feel like I will eventually but it’ll probably be a while. 
I haven’t seen his ROH 06 match, but I loved the PWG 09 match they had together. One of my favorites.

@Octopus: You won't regret it fellow member of the Bryan Danielson is the GOAT group.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nate said:

Man, last month ended on a real bummer.  Chris Dickinson sounds like a real shit bag.

He's one of the reasons I'm squeamish about intergender wrestling. When he does it, it looks like he lays it in a little too much, and almost gleefully so.

• Like 3

Dark Side of the Ring isn't renewed.

Seems the Dark Side team will work with WWE on a new series for Vice that will focus on the history of wrestling's territories.

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Dark Side of the Ring isn't renewed.

Seems the Dark Side team will work with WWE on a new series for Vice that will focus on the history of wrestling's territories.

That socks that the series won't continue but hopefully they are getting good money if they are working with WWE. I'm not anti WWE but I liked the fact that they were able to have a series independent of that got a really good level of viewership. I'm sure once this deal is up they'll continue the series if these guys don't get decent long term positions in WWE

This gets the most views so I'll ask this here.

What happened to Dick Slater? From what I've seen and read he was a pretty great worker. Then he went to the WWF as "The Rebel" and he was never the same. He wasn't the same worker after the WWF stint. 

So what happened to him?

47 minutes ago, Infinit said:

This gets the most views so I'll ask this here.

What happened to Dick Slater? From what I've seen and read he was a pretty great worker. Then he went to the WWF as "The Rebel" and he was never the same. He wasn't the same worker after the WWF stint. 

So what happened to him?

Last I heard there was a pretty ugly domestic violence arrest a few years back.

Just now, The Great ML said:

Last I heard there was a pretty ugly domestic violence arrest a few years back.

I meant more about why he declined so quickly as a worker...sorry I should have been more specific about what I was asking about.

3 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I meant more about why he declined so quickly as a worker...sorry I should have been more specific about what I was asking about.

Gotcha. Slater was a world class worker in the 1970s and early 80s who was viewed as the best Terry Funk not named Terry Funk. He had a serious car accident at some point that has been brought up in several shoots I’ve seen when his name comes up. Could be around that time frame you referenced.

Edited by The Great ML
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If WWE puts their stranglehold on production it won't be any better than their own DVDs, though. A sanitized tale of the territories isn't worth much. 

Also, it's funny that two guys that exposed the Snuka murder on national television would be touched with a ten foot pole by them

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, The Great ML said:

Gotcha. Slater was a world class worker in the 1970s and early 80s who was viewed as the best Terry Funk not named Terry Funk. He had a serious car accident at some point that has been brought up in several shoots I’ve seen when his name comes up. Could be around that time frame you referenced.

He was also just banged up in general by that point and was on the decline in Mid South just before the ill-fated WWF run, IIRC.

• Like 1

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

Who do we have for Wrestler of the Year, Match of the Year and Show of the Year so far?

WOTY I'd currently have CM Punk for his two ***** matches with MJF on AEW Dynamite, 2nd February and at AEW Revolution, 6th March. MJF gets a honourable mention for that joining Bryan Danielson, Dax Harwood, Jon Moxley and Kazuchika Okada.

March of the Year is still Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson on AEW Dynamite way back on the 6th January. Honourable mentions: The two MJF/CM Punk matches I referred to, #FTR vs. Young Bucks on AEW Dynamite (6th April), Briscoe Brothers vs. #FTR at ROH Supercard of Honour and Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tomohiro Ishii at NJPW Wrestle Dontaku. Gave all *****.

Show of the Year is definitely AEW Revolution thanks to CM Punk vs. MJF, Jon Moxley vs. Bryan Danielson and Eddie Kingston vs. Chris Jericho.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

Hard to pick a favorite Rock moment but trolling the maple syrup out of Toronto like this was pretty incredible.

"68,000 Mother Canuckers booing The Rock out of the building!"

Happy birthday to the great one

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nineteen said:

Hard to pick a favorite Rock moment but trolling the maple syrup out of Toronto like this was pretty incredible.

"68,000 Mother Canuckers booing The Rock out of the building!"

Happy birthday to the great one

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I know all the words to every song The Rock sang and I'm not ashamed. One of the funniest wrestling moments ever.

Proof that Hollywood Rock is by far the best incarnation of the Rock. Ditto his entrance theme:

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

the Rock casually destroying Billy Gunn in a promo will always be one of my favorite Rock moments (i don't know how to timestamp but it starts at 2:16):

...Of The Year (fair warning, i only watch AEW as for current stuff):

Wrestler of the Year:
man, i don't have a clear #1 here. so much good wrestling happening. Danielson is probably leading the pack, but i almost want to go with like Wheeler Yuta for all he's shown and grown. FTR is easily the best tag team going. 

Match of the Year:
1. FTR/Briscoes, ROH Supercard of Honor
2. Hangman/Danielson, AEW Dynamite (1/6)
3. CM Punk/MJF, AEW Revolution

Show of the Year:
AEW Revolution

• Like 1

We probably should include the RIP thread but apparently Dark Side of the Ring is officially dead.  Supposedly it will be re-branded as a show about the history of the territories. 

Yeah an entire season where the final clip of every show is Gerald Brisco telling everyone how Vince kicked their ass.  Sure that will be objective