DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing IV - 5/29/2022

Dolfan in NYC

10 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Is he though? I find him lacking in the ring to be The Guy and in a company like AEW that matters. I just think back to his run as champ and I barely remember any of his matches. Great character, believable on the mic, one of the best promos, but I always found him to struggle to carry that believability over when the bell rang. Like those shit ass knees he throws. I don't know. He'd be my Undertaker type of guy that people love and can float in and out of the title scene, solidify the upper midcard and prep younger guys for big runs. 

His title run was during the pandemic so you’d have to think real hard to remember a lot of matches from that time, but his matches against Brodie, Eddie, and Darby stand out. 

Agree to disagree on his abilities, but in my opinion, Moxley is their top guy and he can go. Once Moxley is done with this BCC stuff, everyone is going to have their forgot about Dre moment.

• Like 2

So the situation at the moment is…

MJF is somewhere, but nobody is reporting him as having taken the flight he allegedly booked.

Also some people are talking about Cody like he’s Snowball from Animal Farm.

Anyways, if it turned out that Tony accidentally burned relationships or went way over his head, it’s probably not gonna get reported as long as he remains friendly with some of the wrestling news media.

This never happened to Tony when he was booking TNM7 cards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

God, I will be so very deep in the mud if MJF turns into the next big WWE star with Roman on his way to Hollywood. He is exactly what they need. Withered Wojak. 

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
6 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Apologies. The thread is moving fast and I'm mixing up some posts and the context behind them lol.

To the point of what I said tho, I disagree. Because if given the same push Caster couldn't back it up in the ring like MJF can. And I believe that to be one reason he's so over. He has these money promos that make people want to hate him. Then when it's time for him to get his ass kicked, he pulls out a great match and gets everyone to respect him all over again. He's the closest thing to peak Ric Flair that exists in the modern day environment. Even with a sustained similar push Caster isn't hitting those heights.

He strikes me more as 1998 Shane Douglas, but different tastes and whatnot.

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Shane Douglas never had a match like the Darby one or the Punk tv match and I like the Fraaaaanchise. 

Like the Punk TV match? Sure he did. The Tully draw.

(I didn't like the Punk TV match. lol)

Also, for the “this makes MJF less appealing to WWE” argument…

Wasn’t the 80s WWF kinda built on guys leaving their previous promotion without giving notice or fulfilling bookings?

Obviously the contract structure is a bit different right now but the top example of Vince passing on a guy for bad business ethics is that Brian Lee was an idiot talking about bailing on Cornette while Vince was working with Cornette.

Unrelated to MJF, the "closest thing to a peak Ric Flair" point made me wonder something.

Do we need a new Ric Flair?

Maybe what we really need is a new Greg Valentine and nobody's actually been willing to try it because everyone wants to be Flair, or Bret Hart, or Shawn Michaels.

Couldn't hurt. Certainly hasn't been tried before, at least not that I'm aware of.

Ok, here's another wrinkle. Some people think that even if MJF is there (whether things were overblown or they just come to a deal), they can't just do a straight match because this is all out there now, which is why I've been seeing things like this:

But that feels way too shooty to me, even if you have to do something, which I'm not sure you do. But I get that it's out there but you can thread the needle if you really, really feel like you have to in a way that doesn't feel like the worst Russo stuff.

Have MJF come out and stay on the stage and say Khan can't pay him enough to wrestle, that that he'd rather get sued for millions of dollars than give Wardlow the satisfaction of getting his hands on him, and that he had a flight ready, and then have some range between just FTR and the entire locker room come out to drive him to the ring.

Handled.

• Like 4

Once again, proposing ideas from 2000 WCW doesn’t seem like a solution to this situation.

Is it possible there’s sort of an identity crisis going on with AEW between all the 2019 NXT guys on the roster, the ROH purchase, and everybody else that was around AEW in 2019? Sorta like TK is being pulled in multiple directions with recent signings/purchases.

I read multiple “Wardlow/MJF feud should have ended the show” takes after Dynamite. I guess that feud opening Dynamite instead of closing it plays a little different after the rumors this weekend.

• Like 4

Maybe no one is trying to be the next Greg Valentine because Greg Valentine fucking sucked. Brother was go away heat before I even knew what heat was. Watching paint dry feels like a wild 3 day bender in Vegas vs watching a boring ass Greg Valentine match. I was born the year after the dog collar match. So his peak was behind him by the time I was seeing him. By that point he was like watching molasses dry out in a hot desert.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Like the Punk TV match? Sure he did. The Tully draw.

(I didn't like the Punk TV match. lol)

MintyDisguisedAbyssiniangroundhornbill-s

Whoa. Holy. Fair but wowzers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Maybe no one is trying to be the next Greg Valentine because Greg Valentine fucking sucked. Brother was go away heat before I even knew what heat was. Watching paint dry feels like a wild 3 day bender in Vegas vs watching a boring ass Greg Valentine match. I was born the year after the dog collar match. So his peak was behind him by the time I was seeing him. By that point he was like watching molasses dry out in a hot desert.

Let us not disrespect the stellar slugfest between Hammer and Garvin at the 90 Rumble. Otherwise, yeah Valentine wasn't particularly much fun to watch in the late 80s and onward from what I've seen. 

2 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Look, pal, when people say "Greg Valentine," they usually don't mean 1991 babyface Greg Valentine or 1997 WCW SN enhancement talent Greg Valentine.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

There’s probably some dudes working now who would take the pre-WWF Greg Valentine mantle of beating the shit out of another dude in a worked sport. Like dye Walter’s hair blonde and put him in a place where he could club the shit out of dudes while the match is in Picture-In-Picture and you just created Austrian Greg Valentine

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Look, pal, when people say "Greg Valentine," they usually don't mean 1991 babyface Greg Valentine or 1997 WCW SN enhancement talent Greg Valentine.

While I have some fondness in my heart for the 1992 WCW run, yes, I was thinking about his career up to and including the absolutely delightful Valentine/Garvin match from the 1990 Rumble that @Jijimentioned.

1 hour ago, hobo joe said:

If I'm TK, I do whatever I have to do to get MJF at the show tonight, then either:

A) Freeze his ass out for two years

B) Release him

Good for MJF though, he obviously wants more money without adding time to his contract and this is his leverage to get it, but Tony's gotta call his bluff. 

c) relegate him to Dark and the occasional Rampage match. make him wrestle regularly but little/no mic time.

• Like 1

The buzzy term ‘generational talent’ applies to ppl like Danielson who could get over and succeed no matter what horseshit he was fed. Max Friedman has hardly had to overcome the odds in his overly protected push. Far too early to say what his legacy will look like. Shane Douglas is an apt comparison, but no way does his promo output meet that of Franchise 95-96. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Completely agree. I was thinking Ethan Page, but Max Caster is a nice thought too.

The right answer is Ricky Starks, but either of those guys would work too…

• Like 2