DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing IV - 5/29/2022

Dolfan in NYC

I haven’t read most of the thread but of MJF wants to go then leave him go, there’s like 10-15 guys on the AEW roster that deserve a big time push instead of him. 

Edited by peterien

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Greg vs Tito

Appreciate the effort in uploading that for me. I did watch the whole match and I was pleasantly surprised. No matter anyone's opinions you certainly can't call Valentine lazy here. He puts a shift in with his selling. I do not remember him being this high level with selling. So maybe I have just been letting childhood bias cloud my judgement. Good pick having a Tito match too because I have plenty Tito vs Greg matches in my memory bank. And love me some prime Tito. The overall presentation here is such a breath of fresh air too vs the modern presentation.

This was a good choice to start moving my opinion. It was mostly all Tito on offense, but that let what Valentine did on the sell and between spots really shine. Couple weird things like when Tito caught the foot and went to spin him Greg just didn't spin lol. Going into this I thought I'd be like the older lady in the front row with her arms crossed bored out of my mind. But I came away with a new appreciation for what I may have been missing. So thank you. This may have just been a good choice, or it might be closer to what Valentine really was. Either way I at the very least take back my lazy & creatively bankrupt comments for sure.

I'm going to have to take some time and track down a few more PTW matches of his to see if I was really that far off about him, or if this was just one of his higher end tv matches.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I'm going to have to take some time and track down a few more PTW matches of his to see if I was really that far off about him, or if this was just one of his higher end tv matches.

Like others, I suggest the Garvin feud. And in general, I am never going to take a guy on his rep alone. I have big issues when it comes to Brody and when it comes to the footage we have of Ray Stevens, for instance, relative to their rep. And obviously your memories do come into play, though in 09 when I was getting back into wrestling, I went back into a lot of this stuff with a different set of eyes which is where I developed much of my current mindset on wrestling, between that and the AWA set. I wasn't expecting to come out of it thinking so highly of late era Andre or Demolition Ax, but there you are. I had no idea what i was going to find when I turned on that Greg vs Tito match. I suspected something but you never know for certain if it'll bear out until you actually watch. So yeah, never feel bad about going against certain norms, so long as you're willing to watch the footage and back up your opinion and be open one way or another.

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 minute ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Which match has the unique Atomic drop selling from Valentine? Nobody will ever be as good as that. Was that against Beefcake? 

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Meltzer is reporting that as of a few minutes ago, MJF wasn't at the building.

Because there's never been a situation in wrestling where someone got to the arena as a surprise just before their match. *jack-off motions*

My prediction: they bring out Wardlow with the ref. Bell rings, they start the 10-count and show the entranceway, only for MJF to run through the crowd and jump Wardlow while he's looking in that direction. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

While we are fantasy booking crazy things, I'd love for the end result of this to be the first ever trade between major promotions (I know WWE/TNA did a trade once but it was for just one night, not permanent). Is MJF equal value for Sasha, Naomi, and Ali? That would actually be fun, wrestling twitter would melt.

WWE would have to throw in a jobber to be named later and cash cosnsiderations

• Haha 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
7 minutes ago, porksweats said:

A master at his craft.

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

Because there's never been a situation in wrestling where someone got to the arena as a surprise just before their match. *jack-off motions*

My prediction: they bring out Wardlow with the ref. Bell rings, they start the 10-count and show the entranceway, only for MJF to run through the crowd and jump Wardlow while he's looking in that direction. 

This is what I was figuring as well, though I assume Spears or some other MJF stooge gets in the ring to confront Wardlow and MJF makes his run in while Wardlow is tuning them up.

MJF will make his normal entrance, but he'll be wearing an airline pilot's hat.

That's when Wardlow busts out the rare F10, beats MJF, and he fucks off to WWE hopefully.

• Haha 1

Latest from Fightful (mostly filling in details, not much new still):

Talent reaction to MJF situation in AEW, more news

As Double or Nothing approaches, MJF's status has been a huge question mark and a point of discussion in AEW.

Talent have speculated over the last day as to the situation and whether it's a work, whether MJF would be at the venue or the like. One person close to MJF assured us they didn't believe he'd be boarding a flight to leave Las Vegas Saturday, which ended up being accurate. It's important to note, we confirmed the flight booking to be real (which was confirmed by multiple outlets), and it was finalized less than a half hour before the meet & greet no show, and at an incredibly high cost. Fightful intentionally did not disclose the destination of the flight publicly, which was accurately confirmed by PWInsider to be Newark. We've not reported anything else in regards to his status for tonight's PPV.

AEW talent that Fightful have spoken to have been in the "I don't know, this is crazy" camp, to speculating that they think it could be an elaborate plan from MJF himself. However, when pressed on if they thought Tony Khan and AEW would join on such a plan, talent were more than non-committal on that. Khan has never been known to work his locker room, and will often choose to not discuss matters as opposed to lying to talent.

The issues with MJF and Tony Khan were very real as of two months, ago, and even though Khan seemed receptive to talking about a new contract, MJF did not seem interested in those talks by that point. However it was reiterated to Fightful that MJF told several people that he knew that something would likely have to break the weekend in Las Vegas, considering the two would be around one another for nearly a week straight. We have not been told if that meeting ended up happening, but MJF had expected it to as of weeks ago. One talent was convinced it was a masterminded effort from MJF at some point after the issues became public.

One talent told Fightful yesterday afternoon before we reported the flight booking that they were told MJF was trying to leave Las Vegas. Numerous talent tried to reach out to MJF on Saturday, but we're not told if any reached him.

Some AEW wrestlers didn't know about the situation until word of the flight being booked for MJF was made public.

We can confirm that AEW talent that asked were requested that they didn't comment on the matter publicly. We reached out to Tony Khan and AEW directly but didn't get a response.

• Thanks 2