DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing IV - 5/29/2022

Dolfan in NYC

8 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

MJF vs Wardlow main events, after Wardlow makes his entrance, the lights go out. End. 

Still better than most of the booking ideas I'm seeing thrown around. Meltzer's throw him in the Main Event and have win the title is worse than most. I'm partial to a spoof of the Twin Peaks Season 2 finale in which Wardlow smashes his head into a mirror, laughs, and says 'where's Maxy?'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Still better than most of the booking ideas I'm seeing thrown around. Meltzer's throw him in the Main Event and have win the title is worse than most. I'm partial to a spoof of the Twin Peaks Season 2 finale in which Wardlow smashes his head into a mirror, laughs, and says 'where's Maxy?'

This is how you bring in Bray Wyatt. Through Lynchian storytelling. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

There's nothing special or expert about Valentine's chinlocks or boot stomps. Listen I get having exceptional skills and staying in that lane because it's something you excel at. For example all of Lawler's best work are built around his incredible punches and his selling. That's only two things just like Chinlocks & boot stomps in this analogy. But Lawler was creative.. Lawler would give you interesting and new lead ins to spots around his big punches. Valentine was doing those two things not because he did them any better than anyone else, he spammed those two things because he was lazy and creatively bankrupt.

And we may just not agree on this one. That's okay. People can have different opinions and all that. But I just don't rate laziness and lack of creativity high on my scale of work.

I grabbed (and uploaded for you; but it'll probably get taken down soon) a random match with Roger Kent and Billy Graham announcing during a random Challenge taping in 88. This is nothing I think I've ever seen before as most Tito vs Valentine matches I've seen are from 87 or earlier. It's a PTW though, as it's bookended by Monsoon and Heenan. He starts the match by getting heat by jawing with the ref about his shinguard that he used to cripple Graham. Then he immediately recoils from Santana and then tries to discount it by screwing with his hair. Then it's right into an arm wringer/wristlock and right to the ropes. More heat. He makes sure to sell the hand after the fact. Tito follows up with an immediate single leg and goes for the shinguard and Valentine spasms all over the place to the ropes and complains.

Then it's time for him to get some stuff so it's a cheapshot knee out of nowhere, some great elbows to the skull and an attempt at chinlock, but it's Santana and we're still in the extended shine so he turns it into a hammerlock and it's back to the ropes for Valentine, getting more heat since he can't escape fairly. Again, he sells the arm and then begs off. He goes for a kick, Santana catches it and he eats some punches and bumps back big and rolls out to stall and get some more heat, looking this way and that to the crowd and having the ref back Tito off, before running around him like he's about to fight. Tito just demolishes him in the corner and they go to break.

We come back to Tito beating the crap out of Valentine, including with a neck whip Perfect style and then a great chinlock that they really work with Valentine flopping around like a fish and Tito gritting his teeth. This has been all Tito so far, but Valentine finally catches him off the ropes. This next section is about Tito ALMOST coming back, which we believe since he was able to during the shine. Valentine misses an axehandle off top to a grounded Tito but he's right back in with a kick. Tito reverses a whip but Valentine gets right out of the way. Then he pulls him out and lays in these great great shots and elbows on the apron. Tito fires back from the apron though and we go right into the finish with Jimmy on the apron during the figure four attempt and Valentine getting Tito from behind, but Muraco coming in to prevent Valentine from getting the figure four (with the shin guard on). Tons of creativity here. Tons of imagination. Selling both while in holds and after them. Some nasty looking shots when he did get to be on top, though it was a lot of stooging overall. He gave Tito a ton. He did a lot. Yes, this was 88 instead of 89, and yes it was Tito, but come on.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Latest Fightful update just dropped (nothing new, just some contract details):

Date MJF's Contract Is Said To Be Up.
MJF's contract is set to come up in 2024, but Fightful has specifically learned when the deal is up.

January 1, 2024 is the date of expiration for the MJF AEW contract, according to sources close to MJF himself. MJF had originally signed with the company in 2019, but signed an extension that significantly increased his salary over the amount he'd signed for. However, since then, MJF has felt like he's drastically outperformed even that deal and had expressed his frustration with his AEW contract. This led to he and Tony Khan butting heads in early April, leading to much of the drama that has unfolded this weekend.

It's worth noting that multiple times this year, talent and AEW haven't quite been on the same page as it pertains to when their deals are officially up, and this info came from people close to MJF. 

MJF has been advertised for tonight's AEW Double or Nothing against Wardlow. 

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

The standards have clearly been lowered. He's ECW level of shock on the mic. That's where he is more Shane Douglas-like. 

That’s giving him too much credit.  At least Shane Douglas had the wit to change Ric’s name to DICK Flair.  ?. MJF, meanwhile, tells Pillman that his mom should have swallowed and tells Darby he looks like a school shooter.  There’s no charisma or mic ability in that.  Anybody can go out there and recite lame edgelord material like this.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Bray doing spooky swamp BS on a wrestling show: “What year is this?” *lights flicker, high-pitch shriek*

Bray is the leader of the Black Lodge that is responsible for mind controlling Shawn Spears into disappearing MJF without him knowing. Ass Brood (legendary team of Gangrel and Billy Gun) are the leaders of the White Lodge that is giving Wardlow clues to defeat Bray. This story books itself.

• Like 2

I've whined about my PPV woes in this thread already but forgot to ask if maybe it's worth trying the stream on B/R through my PS5? I was streaming the last show through my TV's app and it was acting all jittery, don't know if the B/R app is more consistent on other platforms. I remember WWE Network being really poor a few years ago on PlayStations.

Second Edit: Silly me, B/R isn't even available on PlayStations anymore. 

Edited by StevieNippz
Forgot to name the app in question

I hate the B/R app. It won't work on my super smart TV for some reason so I have to use my xbox, but on xbox you can't actually purchase the PPV through the app so I have to do that on my computer first. No idea why its still such a third-rate app but once the event starts the stream has been solid anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

If MJF does no-show, then a ready made replacement in Disco Inferno will already be in Vegas working his day job.

Can we just get a 5 minute segment of Wardlow powerbombing Disco over and over again?

That would be Disco's biggest pay day in 20 years.

• Like 2

While we are fantasy booking crazy things, I'd love for the end result of this to be the first ever trade between major promotions (I know WWE/TNA did a trade once but it was for just one night, not permanent). Is MJF equal value for Sasha, Naomi, and Ali? That would actually be fun, wrestling twitter would melt.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

He struck me more as prime Black Bart, and I mean that as a tremendous compliment.

Goddamn do I love me some Black Bart. Now who is AEW's Sam Houston?

4 minutes ago, w. josh said:

Face Brandon Cutler would have qualified. Very early Jungle Boy, but he's progressed well beyond that.

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
12 minutes ago, w. josh said:

Fuego del Sol. Obviously this Sam Houston's a lot more spry.