DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing IV - 5/29/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Oddly enough I was leaning on skipping but now I kind of want to see what happens live. The option of following along on TDE twitter is always there for neat spots.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

except for @Jiji who thinks an MJF match alone is worth $50 ??

Quit teasing my buddy, @Jiji. He is the Hook to my Danhausen. Where I meme, he disapproves. Together we eat chips. Together we friendship. Together we are JiPus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

From the WON EMERGENCY~! radio show last night

- It is not a work. AEW (or more specifically TK) wouldn't risk completely alienating the fans who are already pissed about MJF now showing at the Fan Fest (who are more valuable then folks who might buy the PPV at the last minute.) Dave and Bryan are in Vegas so have been hearing from plenty of folks not happy with the situation.

- Dave acknowledges that if everything gets worked out and MJF is on the PPV, fans will scream SEE! I KNEW IT WAS A WORK!!!

- TK could definitely say "fine we aren't using you again" and just icing MJF for two years

- In terms of solutions if MJF doesn't show - Dave's top solution is to put Wardlow in the main event and put the title on him. The other idea, which Dave said will almost never happen, is have Wardlow face Bill Goldberg (just because he is a FA, probably the only "name" who could make good, and is in town)

- Joe was double booked so apparently he we never told he was supposed to be at the Fan Fest. But apparently he is now pissed off and is not returning any phone calls

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

From the WON EMERGENCY~! radio show last night

- It is not a work. AEW (or more specifically TK) wouldn't risk completely alienating the fans who are already pissed about MJF now showing at the Fan Fest (who are more valuable then folks who might buy the PPV at the last minute.) Dave and Bryan are in Vegas so have been hearing from plenty of folks not happy with the situation.

- Dave acknowledges that if everything gets worked out and MJF is on the PPV, fans will scream SEE! I KNEW IT WAS A WORK!!!

- TK could definitely say "fine we aren't using you again" and just icing MJF for two years

- In terms of solutions if MJF doesn't show - Dave's top solution is to put Wardlow in the main event and put the title on him. The other idea, which Dave said will almost never happen, is have Wardlow face Bill Goldberg (just because he is a FA, probably the only "name" who could make good, and is in town)

- Joe was double booked so apparently he we never told he was supposed to be at the Fan Fest. But apparently he is now pissed off and is not returning any phone calls

Yeah, MJF no showing the Fan Fest for a work would rightly piss your loyal customers big time. Never struck as a work for that reason.

If TK/MJF come to an agreement for MJF/Wardlow, you'll get those allegations it was a work all along.

Hard pass on putting the AEW World Championship on Wardlow and bringing Goldberg in. Former may happen, latter won't. Gamble putting the big belt on somebody new in Wardlow. In wrestling history, there are those who stepped up when made world champion and those that were busts.

Going to be tough putting future programs together after this between MJF/TK. Trust has to have been eroded here.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

I don’t see how doing business this way is going to give Max an advantage with WWE. I doubt they absolutely wouldn’t hire him, but after the last couple weeks who knows where Vince’s head is about “professionalism.” They screw with people just to see how they react all of the time anyway; I’d imagine he’d be booked like shit and frozen out of some of the backstage culture for the first year so they know how he’ll handle it.

Anyway, TK needs to look in his couch cushions for some Jarrett payoff money so Wardlow can steamroll Max, then they can say Wardlow bribed Sterling to put a loser leaves town clause in the contract. I can’t think of a single substitute that would smooth any of this over (maybe I’ll be wrong by the end of the day.)

I would like to know how much money Goldberg would want for taking a power bomb on no notice. The best part of using him to sub for Max would be a Sterling promo about how MJF couldn’t make it but he ran into a distant cousin at Shabbat services. 

• Like 7

Good lord this is dumb. How are you going to let your most important long-term piece that you've invested so much time and energy in, particularly at this moment, get so low in morale that this happens? And then you piss off consummate professional Samoa Joe at the same time. TK most definitely in his flop era. 

From what we've been told by the person with the most consistency on the situation is that the whole falling out started over an interview with Ariel Helwani that wasn't cleared. Why does an independent contractor have to clear such a thing? Fuck off. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 3

Carny Dave in his absolute carny element. Run "emergency" podcasts where you admit you know absolutely nothing about the situation, but come up with fantastical hypotheses like Wardlow winning the world title in a 3 way dance (??) or Bill Goldberg being hired at 24 hours notice to job to Wardlow (??!!) with less-than-nothing to them. Who pays for this stuff.

Its also comically a work, but this feud as I mentioned at the outset always created a difficult path forward for Max as he'd have had 0 gold, and have lost consecutive major feuds -- the latter of which he's been physically over-awed in. Also its worth saying that there is absolutely no knowledge of how over Wardlow will be outside of this feud -- its been pretty unique circumstances, and there is no doubt whatsoever that MJF creates the most venom-fuelled feuds that best get over faces on the roster (Cody, Punk now this).

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

If MJF's not going to be at Double or Nothing, I'd like to think TK would let people know. Don't do the WWE move continuing to advertise someone for a show when you know it's definitely not happening. 

Not just the E...Jack Victory as an Original Midnight Express or Tom Zenk as masked Dos Hombre #2 raise their hands!

• Like 1

For those saying it's a work, you believe more people are likely to buy the show than to avoid buying as a result of this? Have AEW done anything like this before? Closest thing I can think of is setting up a somewhat disappointing debut in Christian, who still rocks, at a ppv or not having the explosions properly cleared ahead of their main event. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

For those saying it's a work, you believe more people are likely to buy the show than to avoid buying as a result of this?

If it’s a work, it’s one that would have been better timed next week for sort of return match.

The thing with wrestling is that no matter how legitimately things begin, they almost always end up as a work in the end. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

Even if they can get him to the arena to do the j-o-b tonight, I think MJF is done in this company.

Wait til he comes back in 2030 for a one-hand-tied-behind-his-back match against lead heel authority figure Lord Anthony Khan.

Within the last month I commented that I think MJF is their most important guy long term and the one person they'd be hurt the most by losing. They should do everything within their power to make this work. I really enjoy watching MJF develop into one of the best on the planet and I don't watch much else current wrestling beyond AEW these days. Hoping this isn't the end of his run in the company but it sure feels like it. Sadness. ?

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

Am I missing something here? The guy has been consistently pushed, is one of the most high profile guys they have, has been clearly positioned as one of the future long term main event acts, etc. and I assume is likely paid in line with that. Has creative control, gets to be treated as a hero in his hometown despite being the biggest heel on the roster. What really has he got to take issue with?

Maybe I've missed other tidbits and pieces of drama so someone help me out, because I'm struggling to see his point of view here.

Edited by killsteve
  • Like 3

MJF is very good, but the speculation about his bright future is based on his potential and not him personally. He has plenty of time to still be the next Ken Kennedy instead of the next Flair or Rock. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Within the last month I commented that I think MJF is their most important guy long term and the one person they'd be hurt the most by losing. They should do everything within their power to make this work. I really enjoy watching MJF develop into one of the best on the planet and I don't watch much else beyond AEW these days. Hoping this isn't the end of his run in the company but it sure feels like it. Sadness. ?

I agree in principle, but the time to make this work was months ago. MJF is now holding a PPV hostage, and you don’t negotiate with terrorists. Not a workable situation moving forward.

• Like 1

It sounds like the situation was created because he wants it both ways; an improved contract without a commitment to stay with the company. 

The leverage AEW has is he is hot now and still has time left on his deal. Why would they give up that leverage?

• Like 2

Punk beats Page tomorrow night.

MJF gets a title shot on Dynamite thru last minute negotiations with TK to stay.

MJF wins after FTR turn on Punk.

MJF beats Punk at his own game. Refusing to give him a rematch or he'll leave.

Wardlow continues to chase MJF.

Punk and Page have to put their differences aside to beat FTR. FTR try and get in Page's head again but he's not having it.

1 minute ago, JohnnyJ said:

It sounds like the situation was created because he wants it both ways; an improved contract without a commitment to stay with the company. 

The leverage AEW has is he is hot now and still has time left on his deal. Why would they give up that leverage?

To his credit, TK has shown that he doesn’t want his contracts to be punitive. He could’ve rolled over Cody’s deal but didn’t when it was clear that relationship had run its course. I don’t think he would hold MJF hostage for two years if he really doesn’t want to be there.

1 minute ago, JohnnyJ said:

This is not what Fightful has consistently reported the last month plus. They've always maintained that MJF understands that if he's to get the raise he wants he would need to add years as well. "He knows that's how contracts work," or something along those lines. 

@EVAI understand that mindset and you don't want to set a bad precedent and all that. Trying to salvage a brutal situation, suspend him, see if he calms down, try to renegotiate.