DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing IV - 5/29/2022

Dolfan in NYC

23 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

It's so strange to me that MJF would be turning in some of the best work of his career when he was that unhappy with his situation. How many wrestlers in that spot would just go out there and dog it? But he never did. It's like the unhappier he was, the better he performed.

Truly our new CM Punk.

• Haha 1

with the time difference, it's not midnight in Vegas for another 90 minutes or so we can do MJFWatch for a little longer

the week I spent in Pacific Time was great because over a short term, my sleep patterns were less weird in in Pacific Time than Central Time (in Central, it was 2am-10am and that's Midnight-8am in California)

wonder if there was an offer to put a title on him to keep him around and that went over really poorly (the champ after tomorrow night might not exactly like that idea either)

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Sorry, but this still all smells like a work.

Yes, running a big story on the dirt sheets about how one of your biggest matches that had been built to for over a year on a PPV might not be happening the day before the show is a really good well to get those people to shell out 50 bucks.

Maybe I'm wrong and this is a work, but if it is, it's a very fucking stupid one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Yes, running a big story on the dirt sheets about how one of your biggest matches that had been built to for over a year on a PPV might not be happening the day before the show is a really good well to get those people to shell out 50 bucks.

Maybe I'm wrong and this is a work, but if it is, it's a very fucking stupid one.

This whole thing has felt like a work. And people are buying the PPV regardless so who fucking cares?

If MJF's not going to be at Double or Nothing, I'd like to think TK would let people know. Don't do the WWE move continuing to advertise someone for a show when you know it's definitely not happening. 

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

If MJF really is walking from the show then TK should come out and give Wardlow his AEW contract and dare MJF to sue/contest it if he wants to.

Just emasculate his character out if the ring, if you can't do it in the ring.

If it's a work it's really stupid. They might be getting some social media engagement but it's going to put people off buying the show.

• Like 1

I’m all for workers standing up to their bosses if they’re unhappy or whatever, but man m, FUCK MJF if he doesn’t show up tonight for Wardlow, you’d think those two have at least some sort of friendship by being together for the past 3 years and he’d at least come in to put him over before fucking off.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This whole thing has felt like a work. And people are buying the PPV regardless so who fucking cares?

except for @Jiji who thinks an MJF match alone is worth $50 ??

16 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I was debating putting down the money for it tomorrow, and hadn't made up my mind yet. the Wardlow match was up with the Punk one for one I was most excited for. If it's announced that match isn't happening, I'm probably not gonna spend 50 dollars for the show. This idea that "People are already buying it, who cares if we try to convince people a match we've been building up to for literally over a year isn't happening!" is a late game WCW esqe move. 

Also, and the more important question: Fucking why? Why try to work your fans like this, what does it gain you? You aren't getting MORE PPV buys by hinting at a major match isn't happening. This isn't getting MJF heel heat, just "if you seriously pull this shit, fuck you, leave the company" heat. What sort of end game actually makes this valuable as a work?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

except for @Jiji who thinks an MJF match alone is worth $50 ??

aaf.png

There's one other money match on this card and I'm honestly not that invested in it despite the good back and forth Wednesday. Weak ppv. All timer feud is keeping it afloat for me. 

Fightful said he didn't get on the flight from what they've been told so far. 

• Like 2

pretty sure there's no way to really emasculate someone's character without making the promotion look kinda stupid

there's not exactly a high percentage of viewers who actually think that Wardlow's contract was with MJF

the more that an idea smells like 1999/2000 WCW, the more you should run in the other direction

• Like 1

Really the only thing I realistically wanted to see out of this PPV was Wardlow powerboming MJF 25 times in a row. I'm still gonna get and watch it, and I know all the matches will likely be good but this really sucks the joy out of it for me. I hope this isn't a work, because if it is a bunch of my good will just got burned. 

• Like 2

If this is legit, it's probably too late to get any kind of big name replacement. So you'd likely get Spears coming out, cutting a promo then getting murdalized for a bit.

My gut feeling is that Tony and MJF sat down months ago and planned out a big summer angle that Max will be at the center of and this is the start of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

All timer feud is keeping it afloat for me. 

Yeah but HOOKhausen versus Nese & Sterling is on the Buy-In and that’s free! That’s the all timer feud you’re referring to, right? Let it flow through your veins, brudda 

11 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

You guys should all move to the UK. It's run by criminal morons and the weather's bad, but we can buy two and a half AEW PPVs for the price of one.

And I can do the same from Finland, as well! I don't even need to move over, in order to do it! This is not an invitation, though. Finland is very acquired taste, shall we say!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

And I can do the same from Finland, as well! I don't even need to move over, in order to do it! This is not an invitation, though. Finland is very acquired taste, shall we say!

From the one day I spent in Helsinki five years ago, Finland would actually be pretty high on my list of alternate places to live, but then I quite like the cold, and that was a holiday, I'm sure it's not all rock churches, reindeer steaks and sex museums, all the time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SturmCRF said:

From the one day I spent in Helsinki five years ago, Finland would actually be pretty high on my list of alternate places to live, but then I quite like the cold, and that was a holiday, I'm sure it's not all rock churches, reindeer steaks and sex museums, all the time.

Not all year round, no. But yeah, this is a good place to live in atm, but our asshole neighbours to the East are trying to make sure there's no good places to live, anywhere. But yes, until recently, a good place. Will take some getting used to, but overall, not many better places that I can think of.

That being said, Britain is certainly among my top two places to visit, along with Poland. Short enough visits and you don't even have to worry so much about the crazy ways either of the countries are run, or anything!

• Like 1

I'm calling my shot and that Double Or Nothing will be MJF's last appearance in AEW. They aren't going to freeze his contract, they'll just let him go if things are this bad and neither side can come to a mutual understanding.

• Like 2