DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing IV - 5/29/2022

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, Jiji said:

Hasn't this been a major problem with just about all of their PPVs though? My interest in the last one died a death after the crowd sat on their hands following Punk/MJF.

I'm trying not to worry. Not only is Punk closing this deal, but it's the least predictable main event in a while. It'll be a challenge, but I'm cautiously optimistic...But I'm 100% in the tank for Punk. 

Make the shows shorter is my eternal stance. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I mean I have a duel TV setup so I'm good lol. But that's pretty rare I would guess. 75 inch mounted on a stand, 42 inch on a floor mount right under it. How I would have killed for this setup on Mondays in the 90s...

Jeff Foxworthy quote: If your working television sits on top of your  non-working...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, L_W_P said:

In kayfabe, what happens if all the title matches go to time limits? They will run out of time ala Halloween Havoc with DDP v Goldberg.

Has that ever happened in the history of wrestling? Every title match on a card going to a time limit draw? Nope. Because that audience would be burned to the ground and never come back lol. So in kayfabe it's never happened before and no one expects it to ever happen because time limit draws are so rare to begin with. Problem solved, you're over thinking it.

Stand by matches by definition are unimportant. You're sending a signal that this match is not important enough to be on PPV / TV *unless* we go short and have to throw something extra out there. That would work if it's just a random match to pad someone's rankings or an enhancement match (like Pac vs Yuta when Danielson vs Hangman 2 didn't go the distance). But if you made an actual match with a story a standby match, you're making those wrestlers and their story look second rate. Just picking one at random but if House of Black vs Death Triangle was a "standby" match, in kayfabe you're saying this match doesn't belong on a PPV. But if we need some filler because matches went short, then we'll throw this shit out there.

If there's one thing every performer wants it's to feel important. Only one guy can be presented as champion at a time. But everyone can be presented as important if the company puts in the effort.

I really liked the seasonal PPV concept going in, but these overlong 4 hour+ PPVs have consistently left me feeling less satisfied than I ought to be. Clearly, it's not the match quality, it's completely the burnout that both I feel at home and the live audience demonstrates. A lot of huge PPV matches with less heat than a meaningless Dark Main Event. Less is more applies well here. Give me 3 solid hours monthly or bi-monthly. Anything over that is potentially and sadly heat-impaired as we've seen on most of their PPVs. I'm very much hoping a potential streaming deal pushes them in a direction of more PPVs at a more crowd-sustainable length. This current seasonal concept on top of being overlong also leads to this need of getting everybody, from a huge roster, onto the show. Kyle O'Reilly and Darby Allin sounds like a fun TV match, but less welcomed when there are already 12 matches on the card. 4 PPVs a year should mean essential bouts, yet we end up with stuff like a completely unnecessary rematch between Jade Cargill and Anna Jay. I really want to support AEW, but I'm struggling with drumming up the interest in paying $50 for something that will leave me burned out. There shouldn't be this dilemma with so much quality wrestling and a PPV main event featuring Punk and the Hangman. 

• Like 2

I guess for me, if I’m paying $50 bucks for a PPV, I’m glad to get 4+ hours of wrestling. If they go to 6 a year, and shorten them, in my mind they’ll need to be $10 cheaper.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I guess for me, if I’m paying $50 bucks for a PPV, I’m glad to get 4+ hours of wrestling. If they go to 6 a year, and shorten them, in my mind they’ll need to be $10 cheaper.

For sure, but I think it's more a question of a monthly streaming deal ala Titan Sports which would force the hand to have a monthly or bi-monthly.

The perfect PPV length is 9 matches in 3 hours.

You can format roughly 3 matches per hour that way. If you want one match to get a a half hour, cool those other two split the remaining 30mins. Ideally there are one or two matches that are low stakes too so fans can recharge without burning out between the big epics. Show layout is really hard to do sometimes. But even more so when you stack so many matches without any real break for the live audience.

The Buy In match is a good cool down / fun comedy match. But that is starting the night, so it's value is kind of wasted. Matches with no real backstory are going to suffer. Anna Jay vs Jade is going to have a tough time. Jade is undefeated and Anna Jay hasn't even had one TV match in the build up. So no chance she is winning. So why book it?

I could go on for hours about card layout and what match makes the most sense where. But I will spare you guys my nerd-out lol.

• Like 2

They’re in a bit of a bind for Soho vs Britt. I imagine a good chunk of the same crowd that was at Rampage will be at the PPV. You don’t want the babyface tournament winner getting booed out of the arena before the Hart family. At the same time, unless she’s getting a lot of adulation or at least respect, maybe you don’t want Baker going over either. Maybe Soho can win them back over in the match itself but….

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

They’re in a bit of a bind for Soho vs Britt. I imagine a good chunk of the same crowd that was at Rampage will be at the PPV. You don’t want the babyface tournament winner getting booed out of the arena before the Hart family. At the same time, unless she’s getting a lot of adulation or at least respect, maybe you don’t want Baker going over either. Maybe Soho can win them back over in the match itself but….

If you haven't figured out that Britt & Cole are both winning yet I'm sorry to be the one to inform you lol. While yes both are heels, they are also both very over with the live audiences so shouldn't be an optics problem with The Hart Family.

Then we get the living hell of those two together on screen vs Sammy & Tay next ?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

A 4 hour plus show might work if it felt like binge watching a must-see-what's-next TV show not an overlong 4 overtimes 'sports' battle. They load these shows up airtight with matches and completely overlook the other fun elements that make the weekly show breeze along. I'd like a little less match content with more promo segments (they don't have to be nor should they be long) between every match. I'm happy they don't go overlong spamming replays of the Countdown show segments, but I would love to know how the Champion or Challenger is feeling, live, hours before his/her big title fight. Also, the Nitro multiple commentary units concept would be very much welcomed here. Give me Taz and Excalibur for the first half. Bring in Tony and good old JR for the latter. The three of them over 4 hours is always consistently grating.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

1 minute ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

If you haven't figured out that Britt & Cole are both winning yet I'm sorry to be the one to inform you lol. While yes both are heels, they are also both very over with the live audiences so shouldn't be an optics problem with The Hart Family.

Then we get the living hell of those two together on screen vs Sammy & Tay next ?

I want to be mad at this post, but you can’t blame the meteorologist when it rains. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Seems like it's headed more towards Candice Larae and Johnny Gargano. Which will certainly lead to lots of lame and repetitive Gargano-hate. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Seems like it's headed more towards Candice Larae and Johnny Gargano. Which will certainly lead to lots of lame and repetitive Gargano-hate. 

I'm sure the best thing AEW needs is MORE former NXT people eating up prime TV.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

He really is Woldrog, isn’t he.

You know, "Woldrog" actually sounds pretty cool. Did Gordlow pick his screen name specifically so his evil counterpart would be badass?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I like Gargano a whole bunch. He's someone I would pick up for AEW for sure. I would just keep him away from Undisputed Elite for a long time. Any former NXT guys really. The way AEW works that's totally possible. Like Darby & Hangman haven't interacted once in 3 years ya know?

Gargano is really good at wrestling and I have a feeling being away from being over produced he'd thrive. But I don't think it's a forgone conclusion h comes in. He's a pretty sentimental dude and I could totally see him sitting out until his son is a little older. Maximize all that bonding time until he's a toddler and what not.

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Like Darby & Hangman haven't interacted once in 3 years ya know?

That is such a weird thing to be reminded, like not something you think about until it's mentioned. To me, this says that AEW's roster isn't as much "bloated" as it is "deep." There are SO many fresh matches yet to be had, and they've gone three years with their weekly shows consistently being at least half-bangers. 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Regardless of the MJF situation whether him not showing up to Fan Fest is a work or not,  unless MJF is getting a world title chance soon  Wardlow should destroy him in my opinion.  

Samoa Joe supposedly didn’t show up either.

23 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Regardless of the MJF situation whether him not showing up to Fan Fest is a work or not,  unless MJF is getting a world title chance soon  Wardlow should destroy him in my opinion.  

Hadn't really occurred to me any other outcome was possible.

• Like 1