DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing IV - 5/29/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Well, they're announcing matches, so I'll start this. 

The CARD~

FOR THE AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Hangman Adam Page (c) vs. CM Punk

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) vs. Serena Deeb

FOR THE TBS CHAMPIONSHIP - Jade Cargill (c) vs. Anna Jay

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR THE AEW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Jurassic Express (c) vs. Keith Lee / Swerve Strickland vs. Team Taz (Hobbs / Starks)

FINALS OF THE MEN'S OWEN HART FOUNDATION TOURNAMENT - Adam Cole (bay bay) vs. Samoa Joe

FINALS OF THE WOMEN'S OWEN HART FOUNDATION TOURNAMENT - Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D. vs. Ruby Soho or Kris Statlander

ANARCHY IN THE ARENA MATCH - Blackpool Combat Club (Moxley / Danielson) / Santana / Ortiz / Eddie Kingston vs. Jericho Appreciation Society (Jericho / Hager / Menard / Parker / Garcia)

House of Black (Black / Matthews / King) vs. Death Triangle (PAC / Penta Oscuro / Rey Fenix)

The Hardys vs. The Young Bucks

† MJF vs. Wardlow

‡ HookHausen vs. Tony Nese / "Smart" Mark Sterling

--

† - If MJF wins, Wardlow cannot re-sign with AEW. If Wardlow wins, he is released from his contract with MJF. 

‡ - Buy-In match

As I'm sure has been noted, this is the first time AEW has crossed the $1 million mark in gate.  Good for them. 

• Like 3

My immediate thought is that it's too early for a BCC tag title match unless there is somehow a super-faction that will interfere and cost them the match (maybe this is where JAS-BCC starts).

Would you have Wardlow get the win here, or have MJF pull out some extra dirty tricks to win and keep the feud simmering?

Shame it's a Sunday and not a Saturday.

My prediction for Adam Hangman Page vs. CM Punk is Punk wins the AEW World Championship and goes into AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door as the AEW World Champion. MJF beats Punk in the trilogy bout later this year for the AEW World Championship.

The build to MJF vs. Wardlow has been great so far. Hope the match matches that.

I like the Blackpool Combat Club, I really do but I wish Bryan Danielson won the AEW World Championship from Adam Page and was in the main events. Danielson is the Greatest Wrestler of All Time.

Be interesting to see the brackets of the Owen Hart Cup and who makes the final. You'd think it's be a veteran vs one of AEW's home grown talents. How about Bryan Danielson vs. Darby Allin for the men's? Dax pulling double duty, in the Finals and Jurassic Express vs. #FTR for the AEW World Tag Team Championship? Unless Danielson has two matches, finals and AEW World Tag Team Championship. For the Women's final, keep Jade Cargill winning or have an upset with an underdog beating her setting up a TBS Championship match? Do you save Jade's first loss for the Championship match instead? Toni Storm?

I'll be glad to see Jurassic Express drop the AEW World Tag Team Championship. Hopefully to #FTR who'll have them along with the ROH World Tag Team Championship and AAA Tag Team Championship.

Cool speculating on what will happen.

Edited by The Natural

I think we get Jurassic Express vs House of Black. House of Black will probably wind up defeating Death Triangle on a Dynamite in some kind of wild brawl and I could see them moving on to challenge for the titles.

Then let House of Black go on a run and say there's no one left, they've beat everyone, blah blah blah and that's when we get BCC challenging for the titles. So that seems way, way off. 

It is a bad decision to have signed Bryan to a three-year contract and have him fight in trios or in a tag team with Mox. The idea of the stable is cool, but they should do their thing individually while they are protecting each others back.

Hangman vs Punk, Rosa vs Deeb and MJF vs Wardlow are the only matches that I'm sure are happening at the PPV.

• Like 2

Yeah some of those probable matches don't seem very probable to me. FTR feels like they should get the tag title shot. Even if that's not what was penciled in a month ago, it should be now. Athena isn't even in the company. How is she probable for a TBS Title match? lol

The Owen tournaments seem pretty stacked so far. Will be interesting to see who the finals are in each bracket. We only have the partial field so far but I'm gonna go with Adam Cole vs Samoa Joe and Toni Storm vs Britt Baker based off of who we have so far.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

We only have the partial field so far but I'm gonna go with Adam Cole vs Samoa Joe and Toni Storm vs Britt Baker based off of who we have so far.

If the brackets on Wikipedia are to be believed, Cole-Joe would only be a possible semi-final. Can't remember if we've seen a proper bracket yet. If we have, I wasn't looking at the screen. 

Warning: Rampage spoiler in Wiki link

Edited by John from Cincinnati
Spoiler warning

35 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think Dax is winning the Owen tournament so I don't think you can pencil FTR in for a tag match.

I certainly wouldn't be mad at that. But I don't feel like it's very likely. If Dax were going to win it, it would have to be the start of a singles push for him. Which again I'm not against. Dax as TNT Champion would be dope. But I don't see it likely that they give him a singles push while holding two sets of tag titles. And also it would sideline Cash for a bit.

If you give Dax the win without a singles push, then like why? He'd have just beat a bunch of awesome singles wrestlers and he should be pushed ahead of them all. Just doing it to do it doesn't seem like the AEW booking style.

• Like 3

I don't think Scorpio defends against Frankie on PPV - that's much more of a Rampage or Dynamite match. Plus, we still have to do Paige Van Zant's debut in the mixed tag. I think Double or Nothing is where that happens.

People have been fantasy booking Athena challenging Jade for her TBS title for what feels like months now, and none of it has happened. Remember when everyone (including me, actually) thought she'd be Jade's 30th challenger and it was just Marina Shafir instead? Yeah.

You can probably safely pencil in Serena Deeb as Thunder Rosa's challenger. I don't know how her opponent is TBD, but somehow Jurassic Express is facing BCC when we've gotten more proof for Rosa's opponent than Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus' potential opponents.

Gotta assume Kingston & Friends versus Jericho & Friends will happen, too. If this was during the pandemic, it'd 100% be a Stadium Stampede, but who knows now. The way Kingston was whipping Garcia last week on Rampage made me think they might run Kingston/Jericho in a strap match or something.

19 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Yeah some of those probable matches don't seem very probable to me. FTR feels like they should get the tag title shot. Even if that's not what was penciled in a month ago, it should be now. Athena isn't even in the company. How is she probable for a TBS Title match? lol

Needed someone there.  Saw this article: https://www.ringsidenews.com/2022/03/13/athena-responds-to-jade-cargills-tbs-title-open-challenge/

Plus I saw an article saying "potential matchups" that included that. 

• Like 2

I might be in the minority, but I want Hangman to go over Punk clean as a sheet.  I feel like Hangmans reign needs more title defenses with top talent and Danielson AND Punk putting him over would go a long way.  That being said, if Punk wins, i would love to see MJF take it in the trilogy OR have it lead to Kingston getting a title run, even if it's only a Tommy Dreamer-esque one day or 20 minute reign.  I equate Kingston with Dreamer in that I feel Dreamer was the heart of ECW the way Kingston is the heart of AEW.

• Like 3

I like Hangman a lot, both because he seems like a genuinely good dude and because he's an excellent wrestler, but I don't know if a win over Punk would make a huge difference to his overall starpower at this point. His defences over Danielson and Cole established him pretty firmly as a main eventer, but retaining next month just keeps him at that level.

Becoming a true megastar is a bit too nebulous to just book someone towards by having them beat other stars. It either takes a lightning in a bottle Austin 3:16 or Pipebomb moment, or the WWE style, over the top Roman Reigns push where you sacrifice everyone else's credibility to one person and build every show around them over an extended period.

Hangman is a very credible Champion now, but anything more than that will have to happen organically over time by keeping people invested in him, with or without the title. Which isn't to say they have to put the belt on Punk. That'd be my choice, but I love how hard it'll be to call.

• Like 3

I'd like to will into existence a more balanced PPV broadcast.  If it has to go 4+ hours can we get one less match and a few more promos in between bouts?  Not the already multi-played video packages, but guys like Punk discussing their bouts.  I'd also love it if they'd consider doing a Nitro style split commentary booth - first part - Excalibur and Taz, the second part - swap out (if we must) Taz for Schiavone and JR.  4+ hours is far too much Tony and Jim.  It's too much Excalibur too.  

• Like 2

Deeb-Rosa could be a real treat. I think Hangman retains actually. Given his history with New Japan there is some rich stories to tell. Tag titles - time to move them. and maybe it's Christian's heel turn where Jungle Boy breaks out after. Who? Love it to be FTR but got a feeling it is ReDragon. ReDragon - Young Bucks is the natural next story. 

Wardlow-MJF has to happen. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Jurassic Express v FTR seems like a strong possibility.  Especially considering it'd likely be a Triple Crowning.  Also, Jericho-Kingston II?

In their last promo it almost seemed like they were starting to set up a Christian heel turn. It's time for Jungle Boy to go out on his own, so FTR winning the belts followed by Christian blaming JB and turning on him (or maybe have Luchasaurus turn too?) to set up JB's first singles program would make sense.

The Owen Cup should be about getting over someone who's been on the underneath or new to the company.