DVDVR Message Board

DR. STRANGE 2 - SPOILERS THREAD - 5/6/2022

1 hour ago, AaronMLuke said:

Honestly got more of a Jack Torrence in the hedge maze vibe from Wanda in that scene. 

Good call. I'd agree with that.

• Like 2

Good decision by Cumberbatch. 

"[The Doctor Strange role] happened as an idea muted after, funnily enough, another little dance I did for another character in the MCU, a very brief character," Cumberbatch told BBC Radio 1 of Thor: The Dark World's Malekith. "I was bold enough to say, 'I'm really flattered to be invited to the party, but I'd rather hold out for something a bit more juicy.'"

• Like 4

I thought this was pretty good.  Not on the high end of MCU stuff, but not bad either.

Don't let anyone tell you this was scary.  Yes, it has horror-like elements, but it's miles away from being a scary movie.  My five-year-old didn't blink at anything in this movie.

• Like 2

I’m curious to hear what jump scares you’re all talking about.  I don’t recall any.

I enjoyed this one a lot, best of this round of MCU movies thus far (faint praise as I thought Eternals was dull and Shang Chi was just above average).  Was it better than No Way Home?  Maybe, I need to think about that.

As and old Evil Dead trilogy fan, I loved how Sam Raimi this was, especially everything from Strange’s ghost walk, which was just Evil Dead as fuck.  I was smiling ear to ear.

As one follow moviegoer pointed out the Jump Scares you could see coming. Spoiler Box for an example: 

Spoiler

One of the Jump Scares was after Evil Dr was impaled McAdams checks on him then the 3rd Eye pops out & scares her. 

Edited by Hail Sabin
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 11:45 PM, Technico Support said:

I’m curious to hear what jump scares you’re all talking about.  I don’t recall any.

I enjoyed this one a lot, best of this round of MCU movies thus far (faint praise as I thought Eternals was dull and Shang Chi was just above average).  Was it better than No Way Home?  Maybe, I need to think about that.

As and old Evil Dead trilogy fan, I loved how Sam Raimi this was, especially everything from Strange’s ghost walk, which was just Evil Dead as fuck.  I was smiling ear to ear.

Phase IV been a mixed bag.

• Black Widow (2021) was really disappointing. Should have happened years earlier. What did you think to it, @Technico Support?
  • Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021) was really good apart from the last act. Glad it redeemed the Mandarin. The best Mandarin was in the Iron Man 3 trailers and first half of the film itself before that stupid fucking twist.
  • Eternals (2021) was slow going even breaking it into chunks but not the worst MCU movie as it's scored on Rotten Tomatoes. The Incredible Hulk, Thor: The Dark World, Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3 are much worse.
  • Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) was great. It's in my top five MCU Movies. Nostalgia with fan service done right with real ramifications for Spidey.
  • There's things I liked from Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022) and things I wasn't sure on. The last Doctor Strange appearance I'd label truly great was in Avengers: Endgame (2019). The Russo Brothers have the best Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow off the top of my head. Might say the same for Spider-Man though that would be a contentious POV. Thor also.
Edited by The Natural

@The NaturalI forgot all about Black Widow!  Come on man, that was 7 months ago!  ?. I enjoyed it.  I didn’t count Spider Man because it’s a Sony movie technically.  Also, while I liked it, it was a bit cluttered and in the end, the idea that it was designed primarily as a vehicle to get Spider Man away from the MCU makes it a cynical exercise in writing dictated by business.  I mean all these movies are that, to some degree, but this was a little much.

So ranking them, I’d go:

1. Strange

2. Spider Man

3. Widow and Shang Chi (tie)

4. Painful bloating, gas, and diarrhea 

5. Watching Rise of Skywalker again

6. Eternals 

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

@The NaturalI forgot all about Black Widow!  Come on man, that was 7 months ago!  ?. I enjoyed it.  I didn’t count Spider Man because it’s a Sony movie technically.  Also, while I liked it, it was a bit cluttered and in the end, the idea that it was designed primarily as a vehicle to get Spider Man away from the MCU makes it a cynical exercise in writing dictated by business.  I mean all these movies are that, to some degree, but this was a little much.

So ranking them, I’d go:

1. Strange

2. Spider Man

3. Widow and Shang Chi (tie)

4. Painful bloating, gas, and diarrhea 

5. Watching Rise of Skywalker again

6. Eternals 

@Technico SupportWhere's Interstellar (2014)?

Love, Paul xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Phase IV been a mixed bag.

• Black Widow (2021) was really disappointing. Should have happened years earlier. What did you think to it, @Technico Support?
  • Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021) was really good apart from the last act. Glad it redeemed the Mandarin. The best Mandarin was in the Iron Man 3 trailers and first half of the film itself before that stupid fucking twist.
  • Eternals (2021) was slow going even breaking it into chunks but not the worst MCU movie as it's scored on Rotten Tomatoes. The Incredible Hulk, Thor: The Dark World, Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3 are much worse.
  • Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) was great. It's in my top five MCU Movies. Nostalgia with fan service done right with real ramifications for Spidey.
  • There's things I liked from Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022) and things I wasn't sure on. The last Doctor Strange appearance I'd label truly great was in Avengers: Endgame (2019). The Russo Brothers have the best Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow off the top of my head. Might say the same for Spider-Man though that would be a contentious POV. Thor also.

I really didn't think about it in terms of phases.  Is this and all the tv shows going to lead to another Avengers movie?  Like, how?

I guess maybe a "fake Avengers" with all the knockoffs (Fake Captain America (US Agent), Fake Black Widow (Yelena?), Girl Loki, Agnes as the Scarlet (Purple) Witch, Lady Thor apparently ...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL somewhere around #9,157,849

LOL. Cheers, bud.

36 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I really didn't think about it in terms of phases.  Is this and all the tv shows going to lead to another Avengers movie?  Like, how?

I guess maybe a "fake Avengers" with all the knockoffs (Fake Captain America (US Agent), Fake Black Widow (Yelena?), Girl Loki, Agnes as the Scarlet (Purple) Witch, Lady Thor apparently ...

Phase IV feels directionless. Guessing we'll get more Multiverse shenanigans, either a new Avengers film with the legacy characters you mentioned or Secret Wars. The other Phases were more focused and of better quality. Phase I was introducing Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor and Captain America in solo films and then bringing them together with The Avengers/Avengers Assemble. Phase II new heroes in Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man and Infinity Stones. Phase III sees the Avengers broken up thanks to Zemo, Spider-Man/Black Panther/Captain Marvel are new additions as the Avengers reunite losing to Thanos but beat him in the end.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Phase II new heroes in Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man and Infinity Stones.

Right, so we're kind of in the same spot now where we're analogous to phase 1.  We're in the "phase 1" of this set of films.  We're introducing heroes and situations and maybe in the next phase of this round we'll get an idea of what the over-arching plot device is going to be.  

• Like 1

I think the casting choice that was alluded to earlier, was there was a rumour that the leader of the Illuminati was going to be Ultimate Iron Man, as played by Tom Cruise. The evidence for this was, there was a shot in the trailer of the edge of Xavier's chair moving into frame, which was metallic yellow. So this was obviously Iron Man's gold armour, and Ultimate Iron Man had gold armour with a transparent mask, and when they were negotiating with Tom Cruise to play Iron Man (before they cast RDJ), he wanted the mask to be see through, so people could see his face. 

Phase 4 is very much about the intro of new heroes and villains while continuing to deal with the personal journeys of previous ones. I don't think we see a proper new arc begin until the very last movie of the Phase or Phase 5 itself. Although the Incursion talk here could have been the start of it. If anything though I'm hoping its how and why they try to avoid using the multiverse stuff too much.

Phase 4 movie Order for me is Strange 2, Spider-Man: NWH. Shang-Chi, Black Widow, Eternals. I have disliked none of the films and found decent enjoyment in all of them though the first three are the ones I would say are actively good for sure. Multiverse of madness in particular is an easy top 10.

On 5/14/2022 at 12:04 PM, AxB said:

I think the casting choice that was alluded to earlier, was there was a rumour that the leader of the Illuminati was going to be Ultimate Iron Man, as played by Tom Cruise. The evidence for this was, there was a shot in the trailer of the edge of Xavier's chair moving into frame, which was metallic yellow. So this was obviously Iron Man's gold armour, and Ultimate Iron Man had gold armour with a transparent mask, and when they were negotiating with Tom Cruise to play Iron Man (before they cast RDJ), he wanted the mask to be see through, so people could see his face. 

Pretty sure I read or heard the idea for Cruise as Stark never went far. 

• Like 3

I'm assuming it's all building to multiple end points instead of just one

• Young Avengers/Champions (America, Kate Bishop, Patriot, Cassie Lang, Ms. Marvel)
  • Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers (USAgent, Yelena, whoever else)
  • and maybe a sort of Strange/Ant-Man/Loki team up against Kang
  • Like 1

So, I just got out of this.  It was okay.  They were really biting off a lot more than they could chew in my opinion.   But thoughts I had, in no particular order:

Krasinski actually would've been a really good choice for a F4 franchise.

Mutants are cannon MCU now, so, yay.  

Cumberbatch and Olsen were both fine.  There's going to be *quite* the hot take-age on whether or not Wanda was justified for just wanting her kids.  I'm very glad Vision did not make a cameo. 

The stakes in this movie were more implied than spelled out.  Wanda specifically states she just wants to go to a universe where she has her kids and live her life there.  But then later she definitely implies that she could end up ruling the multiverse.  To wit....

I'm at least 80% sure that SW is not dead.  It's a big, big issue with the MCU that they one-shot a major villain and then we get someone fighting like their C-level rogues in the sequel movies.  A former Avenger turning on the team and making them all deal with her after she cold-bloodedly ends their contracts with Disney murders them wouldn't be a bad way to reset things.  

This movie was *extremely* Raimi. Good lord, there's having a style and then there's cliches.  Raimi's becoming Michael Bay before our eyes. 

If Wanda can murk Thanos, she absolutely should shred the Illuminati to pieces, and easily. Especially full blown Scarlet Witch Wanda versus Captain fuckin' Carter. One is a reality ender, and the other is just a super soldier. C'mon.

• Like 9

Saw this yesterday with my daughter and we both enjoyed it.  It felt almost like one of those late 1970's Strange Tales cosmic adventures like WormWorld.

a453daf04e4e359b6b8dcecc832fb3f7.jpg

Raimi was the perfect director for such a tale, but I think he may have stuck one too many of his own tropes into the mix like the Evil Dead 2 callback of Bruce Campbell punching himself with his own possessed hand.  Everyone in the theater went bat shit over the Illuminati cameos.  The introductions of Professor X, Agent Carter, Rambeau Marvel, and Mr. Fantastic nearly got standing o's.  RIP Black Bolt.  We also went nuts when we all heard the magical word, Wundagore.  The name dropping of Cthon was also met with hearty approval.  Raimi really did his fucking homework.

I was cool with Wanda vaporizing everyone, even the mega powered people, like nothing since this story is pretty much the Phoenix Saga starring the Scarlet Witch.  Wanda was a Omega level magical being that was also 100% axe wielding crazy and she didn't take shit from anybody.  In proper tragic villain form, Wanda used her own personal pain as an excuse to enforce her will on everyone and everything.  Wanda may have convinced herself that she was doing it for her kids, but her ultimate goal was to merk the multiverse.  It is easier to burn people to ashes when you pretend that they are your tormentors.  I am sure Wanda told herself that every body she buried was one less person who would be alive to threaten her children, but supreme domination of all reality was what she really wanted.  "I'm making a better world for my boys, you know!"

I am not sure how I feel about America Chavez.  I normally hate the Magical (Insert ethnic group) trope, but at least she was central to the plot and not some disposable gimmick.  Didn't really bother me that her parents were LGBTQ+, nor do I understand why it would bother anyone else unless they are assholes that think that only the child of a hetero couple should have the power to traverse dimensions at will.

I thought it was great that the movie did not spoon feed anyone.  If you haven't been watching Loki, WandaVision, or What If? and had no clue what was going on, that was all on you.  

I think that only I and one other old fuck in the theater knew who Clea was and Charlize Theron looks like she was pulled straight out of the comics pages, so was John Krasinski for that matter.  My kid and I are totally ready for the FF and hopefully that movie gets made really soon.  We lost it when Wanda asked Reed if he had any kids because we were like, "As powerful as Wanda is, Franklin Richards Age Five and a Half would kick this bitch's ass for melting his father."

I am digging the evolution of Dr. Strange as the "do as I say, not as I do" superhero who knows the rules but is willing to bend them when necessary.  The key to victory was Wanda not being prepared for Strange cheating to win by possessing his Marvel Zombie counterpart.  

I am guessing that Strange's third eye is Raimi's way of introducing the Eye of Agomotto so that his amulet will have more significance than being the former container for the Time Stone.

I chuckled to myself because the ending of this movie with Wanda pulling Wundagore down on top of her was very Spider-Man 2.  It's like Raimi just repurposed the last thirty pages out of the script and redacted Doc Ock's "I will not die a monster," line.  Wanda is definitely not dead.  There is too much money in the redemption story.  The red flash you saw just before the temple collapsed was Wanda hexing herself to safety at the last possible second.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 7