DVDVR Message Board

DR. STRANGE 2 - SPOILERS THREAD - 5/6/2022

Saw this Saturday. Had successfully avoided almost all spoilers (only one I had was Kracinski, and had hints at PStew).

Really liked it, a lot better than the first and I’m glad they limited the amount of Escher magic moments. I forgot that it was Raimi until Bruce Campbell cameo. I say let John Carpenter have a whack at the MCU too, go full body horror.

Glad they gave Wanda her moment of redemption at the end, but felt very bad for her and all the loss that she’s suffered leading her to where she was.

I don’t know anything about America Chavez but I liked her LABTQIA pin and “amor is amor” on her jacket.

So, we’re going to get a new Fantastic Four, and the 90s X-Men cartoon is now canon on Earth 838? 

• Like 2

How much more body horror can you get than The Thing though? When that last Fantastic Four movie came out they were treating it like it would be a Cronenberg homage, but I wouldn’t know if that’s true because even though it’s available to stream I’ve never seen it and kind of don’t believe it really happened. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, (BP) said:

How much more body horror can you get than The Thing though? When that last Fantastic Four movie came out they were treating it like it would be a Cronenberg homage, but I wouldn’t know if that’s true because even though it’s available to stream I’ve never seen it and kind of don’t believe it really happened. 

That's definitely in my top ten worst comic book movies ever.

• Like 1

Sam Neil - Reed

Kim Cattrall - Sue

Keith David - Grimm

Jeff Bridges - Johnny

Jurgen Prochnow - Doom

Adrienne Barbeau - Nova

Bruce Campbell - Thinker

Nick Fury - Lee Van Cleef

Jamie Lee Curtis - She Hulk

Donald Pleasance - Gaclactus 

9 hours ago, twiztor said:

so, to sum up the last few posts, the MCU Fantastic 4 movie will be directed by John Carpenter, and feature his "the Thing" instead of Ben Grimm?

i'd watch.

Reed Richards trying to calm down an three dog headed multi tentacled insane alien who just wants to murder everyone would be amazing.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this on the second day of release and managed to avoid leaks/spoilers, so I marked out hard at the reference to the Baxter Building, only to then be blown away by the actual Reed cameo. I like the casting, even though I still have a hard time seeing him as anything other than Jim. 

For all the talk about Wanda’s heel turn, let’s not forget that the last time we saw her she had mind controlled an entire town and used them as puppets before ending her series isolated in a cabin willingly reading the Darkhold. That wasn’t a heel turn, it was continuity.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I never checked out the leaks that hit before this movie released? Other than Tom Cruise Iron-Man, which I was unable to avoid hearing about, how accurate were they?

Pretty close, actually.  They nailed the main plot points a couple of months before release.  There were a couple of other illuminati members rumored (like Balder) that didn't show up but they hit the big stuff.

I finally watched it last weekend and thought it was mostly fine.  Not as visually cool as the first Dr Strange, but Sam Raimi can still direct the hell out of a movie.  

My biggest problem was that someone on Twitter pointed out how terrible all of Cumberbatch's wigs were and then that was all I could look at.  They're really bad!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Zimbra said:

My biggest problem was that someone on Twitter pointed out how terrible all of Cumberbatch's wigs were and then that was all I could look at.  They're really bad!

Wigs in the MCU is a frequent point of mockery on the "Newcomers" podcast with Lauren Lapkus and Nicole Byer, the latter being basically a hairpiece expert since she loves wearing them. Nicole CONSTANTLY drags the people who did Black Widow's various wigs ?

On 7/6/2022 at 3:18 PM, Zimbra said:

Pretty close, actually.  They nailed the main plot points a couple of months before release.  There were a couple of other illuminati members rumored (like Balder) that didn't show up but they hit the big stuff.

I finally watched it last weekend and thought it was mostly fine.  Not as visually cool as the first Dr Strange, but Sam Raimi can still direct the hell out of a movie.  

Not to mention the scene that was apparently kept in for awhile, but was ultimately cut: Wanda was going to murder and decapitate the MCU Mordo AT THE BEGINNING OF THE MOVIE.

That would have been amusing, albeit short-sighted.  

Mordo: “Wanda, I’m here to steal your magic…”

*a few seconds later*

Wanda: “I’m sorry, you were saying what now?”

I guess I can see the thinking in establishing where Wanda’s mind is at the beginning, plus heightening the dramatic irony when Strange goes to her for help later, but it was a good decision to cut it.

I do enjoy that after this movie that Mordo is presumably still trying to find a way to kill Strange. I hope that it's just kept as a running gag and every movie Strange is in has him sling ring Mordo into another part of the world.