DVDVR Message Board

DR. STRANGE 2 - SPOILERS THREAD - 5/6/2022

tumblr_inline_pr4d1cq2q81wykam7_500.jpg

This was a standout scene in Doctor Strange (2016) along with how Doctor Strange defeated Dormammu and in his own Sanctum Santorum with the music playing as he wears his broken watch stretching his injured hands out. My favourite Doctor Strange is still from this and Avengers: Infinity War (2018)/Avengers: Endgame (2019).

57 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Glad you had a great time with your daughter, @J.T.. Hope the steak dinner hit the spot, my friend xxx.

She wanted lunch instead so we went to Boulevard Burger & Brew.   

OIP.4XWfAsmM6R9skibc9zH0uwHaE8?pid=ImgDe

The Korean BBQ Burger was soooooooo good, but it took its toll on my terlit like the Darkhold took its toll on Wanda and Dr. Strange.

It was awesome of Raimi to have normally arrogant Stephen Strange find humility after questioning the surety of his past decisions and discovering that sometimes there is zero comfort in being absolutely right about something.  Sure, handing the Time Stone over to Thanos was the correct call, but Strange did not for one moment consider the second and third order of effects of his judgement until the aftermath was put directly in front of his face.

Once you discover that you weren't the only one making big sacrifices and that you pretty much forced everyone else's hand when you made your play and gave Thanos what he wanted, suddenly your enlightened decision doesn't feel so enlightened anymore.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

She wanted lunch instead so we went to Boulevard Burger & Brew.   

OIP.4XWfAsmM6R9skibc9zH0uwHaE8?pid=ImgDe

The Korean BBQ Burger was soooooooo good, but it took its toll on my terlit like the Darkhold took its toll on Wanda and Dr. Strange.

It was awesome of Raimi to have normally arrogant Stephen Strange find humility after questioning the surety of his past decisions and discovering that sometimes there is zero comfort in being absolutely right about something.  Sure, handing the Time Stone over to Thanos was the correct call, but Strange did not for one moment consider the second and third order of effects of his judgement until the aftermath was put directly in front of his face.

Once you discover that you weren't the only one making big sacrifices and that you pretty much forced everyone else's hand when you made your play and gave Thanos what he wanted, suddenly your enlightened decision doesn't feel so enlightened anymore.

But I mean, what was he supposed to do? 14,000,000 outcomes and they only win and bring back in one of those and Thanos had to initially win in order to bring everyone back. It also wasn't like Strange could just tell everyone what to expect. Like he said to Tony, if I tell you, it won't happen. That's not a birthday wish or something. If he tells Tony or Nat that they're going to have to make the ultimate sacrifice in order to literally save the universe, do they still do it? I don't think Strange necessarily thought that he was the only one making sacrifices, but it does kind of suck to never get the credit you deserve for saving the universe when everyone when given the chance wants to shove it in his face that he gave up the Time stone.

As for the movie, I liked it, but all of the Raimi-ness started to get a bit much. It also wasn't what I expected. I really didn't expect Wanda to go full heel or much of the movie to be a long chase sequence. I think this was maybe the most condensed MCU movie in what feels like a long, long time. I tend to like things drawn out a little bit more, but only if it's going to be good. Thought the cameos were awesome and I have no problem with Wanda, who is a threat on the level with Thanos, turning Reed into spaghetti, chopping Carter in half, snapping Xavier's neck, and blowing up Black Bolt's brain. I probably marked out the most for Krasinski appearing as Reed, but that could also be me just losing my shit because it's REED FUCKING RICHARDS IN THE MCU. I know some people are writing this off as a one off for Krasinski and they'll go with someone else to play Reed, but I don't see why you'd have to go and do that. None of these actors age. It does make me feel even stronger about my prediction that the Fantastic 4 will have something to do with the next Ant-Man movie.

And showing Xavier makes me think that they pull off doing X-Men and having mutants by not having them on Earth-616 and those movies with the X-Men take place in another universe. Then when you're ready to do that big incursion you can have the X-Men cross over into the 616. Maybe Wanda winds up being the Thanos-level threat in this new trilogy of phases and it isn't Kang. She seemed to save face at the end, but I could still see her snapping hardcore and start causing incursions to happen. That way, you get around getting really far out there with the Beyonders, which I don't know if you could pull off on the big screen. So yeah, maybe this all leads up to Secret Wars with everyone taking on Wanda or maybe a Wanda that has been manipulated by Doom or a version of Kang. We probably never wind up getting a Battleworld, although I could see a one shot Battleworld animated series on Disney+ being pretty awesome.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

But I mean, what was he supposed to do? 14,000,000 outcomes and they only win and bring back in one of those and Thanos had to initially win in order to bring everyone back. It also wasn't like Strange could just tell everyone what to expect.

It's not really about the decision itself.  It is about Stephen Strange taking pleasure in being one of the smartest men in the room, which is why I am sad that he will no longer be able to pit his ego against Tony Starks's.   Not only does Stephen Strange like being right, he also enjoys rubbing your face in it.  Not only does Stephen Strange want to be the one "holding the knife,"  like most surgeons he believes he is the only one qualified to hold the knife. 

Strange caustically rebuffs West at the wedding when West tells him about the death of his cats during the Blip but when West doubles down and shares his significant personal loss, the smug wind is taken out of Strange's sails.  Suddenly, being right doesn't feel so great when you find out that your call had a very devastating effect on someone who did not have any input into in the final decision.  Strange did not bet the lives of the people snatched in the Blip when gave the Time Stone to Thanos; he bet the lives of the people left behind.  Faceless sacrifices are little more than statistics, but put a name to one of those faces and suddenly things get squirmy and uncomfortable.

That's when Dr. Strange had his painful aha moment.  All of that magical power and Dr. West still had something that Dr. Strange did not.  West was able to share his life with someone who loved him and handing the Time Stone over to Thanos signed that person's death warrant.  That realization sends the good doctor into a tailspin.  It explains why he tries so hard to protect America Chavez and does not sacrifice her for the sake of the multiverse.  It is because he cares about the kid.  At the beginning of the movie, Strange just sees America's power and treats her like a multiverse taxi cab.  He doesn't act to safeguard America's life so much as he acts to keep the dimension hopping ability away from Wanda.  By the time everything wraps, Strange finally appreciates America as a human being.  She is more than a star-shaped portal maker.  She is his friend.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

I think most people are writing off Krasinski as Reed now because someone at Deadline reported that he was a “last minute” replacement for Daniel Craig - if you believe the Deadline guy, Craig was originally cast as Reed, but wouldn’t fly due to COVID fears. But another report (this time from someone called Heavy Spoilers) said Craig was cast as Balder the Brave.

This guy claims that Balder, in the movie, would have been talked into killing himself by Wanda. Which lines up with the (supposed) cut footage of Wanda decapitating MCU Mordo at the beginning of the movie. Shit was originally pretty dark if all of this is true. Which I’m inclined to believe, since complete spoilers for the entire movie leaked a few days before it was released, and the only thing not in the movie but in the spoilers was the Mordo scene.

Honestly, I could see Daniel Craig as Reed Richards, if that was the case, but I’m also happy with Krasinski.

Edited by Casey

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

We lost it when Wanda asked Reed if he had any kids because we were like, "As powerful as Wanda is, Franklin Richards Age Five and a Half would kick this bitch's ass for melting his father."

It was around this time my older brother hit an interesting realization that Franklin is seemingly the only stable reality warper in the marvel universe. All the others seem to either be crazy or hit crazy points in their life.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

It was around this time my older brother hit an interesting realization that Franklin is seemingly the only stable reality warper in the marvel universe. All the others seem to either be crazy or hit crazy points in their life.

I mean are we sure about this? Franklin Richards has gone through some weird stories.

10 hours ago, Raziel said:

I'm not sure "stable" is something I'd ever use to describe Franklin.

Power Pack Franklin had boring powers.  Franklin Age Five and a Half was totally badass.

Am I the only one disappointed that they said the MCU was Earth-616? Wouldn't it be better if they let the comics main-line still be 616, and made the movies be another number?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AxB said:

Am I the only one disappointed that they said the MCU was Earth-616? Wouldn't it be better if they let the comics main-line still be 616, and made the movies be another number?

I was somewhat surprised at the acknowledgement that the MCU was 616, but I suppose it couldn't be anything else because it would have been destroyed in an incursion.

On 5/17/2022 at 11:25 PM, Bustronaut said:

MCU is officially Earth-199999.  616 is like every alien calling their planet earth 

Yep.  Edgar Rice Burroughs knew that Martians would not call their home planet, Mars.  They'd call it something else like Barsoom or whatever.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

In the old days, Barry discovered the other Earth really existed, so it would make sense his was 1 and the other one was 2. It's just funny that the older Earth was 2 and not 1. 

How do you think J'onn J'onzz feels? Everything revolves around the Earth. What is Mars? Chopped liver?

What about the Rannians and Thangarians? Would they call it Rann 1 and Rann-2?