DVDVR Message Board

DR. STRANGE 2 - SPOILERS THREAD - 5/6/2022

27 minutes ago, Log said:

I'm taking my kids this weekend (5 & 11).  My son (5) did great at the last Spiderman, so I think he'll be fine.  He's not your typical five-year-old when it comes to movies.  He'll sit through anything.  Recently, he's watched Rocky, Rocky II, Little Women (the newer one) and Hoosiers.  I warned him there may be a couple jump scares, so at least that won't be a surprise for him.  I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

Enjoy, my friend xxx.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 12:16 PM, Blue Dragon said:

Spoilers Warning....

Hide contents

1651506712477.jpg

Spoiler

Blackagar Boltagon's costume looks like Bibleman, they just cannot stop doing him dirty.

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Reading twitter reactions, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022) has gone down well, Elizabeth Olsen is the standout, horror keeps coming up and you can see Sam Raimi's stamp on the movie. Sounds good! Had a long wait for a sequel to Doctor Strange (2016). I think it'll land in the 75-80% certified fresh bracket on Rotten Tomatoes.

Sitting at 80% now. I think that's probably a good mark considering how full of inside stuff it seems to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:
  Hide contents

Blackagar Boltagon's costume looks like Bibleman, they just cannot stop doing him dirty.

Spoiler

Bruh he has a fork on his head, they’ve done him no favors since the start

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

MCU Movies Rotten Tomatoes scores:

Spoiler

Iron Man (2008). 94% CF.

The Incredible Hulk (2008). 67%.

Iron Man 2 (2010). 72% CF.

Thor (2011). 77% CF.

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011). 79% CF.

Avengers Assemble (2012). 91% CF.

Iron Man 3 (2013). 79% CF.

Thor: The Dark World (2013). 66%.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier. 90% CF.

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014). 92% CF.

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015). 76% CF.

Ant-Man (2015). 83% CF.

Captain America: Civil War (2016). 90% CF.

Doctor Strange (2016). 89% CF.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017). 85% CF.

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017). 92% CF.

Thor: Ragnarok (2017). 93% CF.

Black Panther (2018). 96% CF.

Avengers: Infinity War (2018). 85% CF.

Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018). 87% CF.

Captain Marvel (2019). 79% CF.

Avengers: Endgame (2019). 94% CF.

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019). 90% CF.

Black Widow (2021). 79% CF.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021). 91% CF.

Eternals (2021). 47%.

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021). 93% CF.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022). 80%.

---

Too high IMO:

Black Panther. I'd have 90-92%.

Ant-Man and the Wasp. Found this a chore to get through. In my bottom five MCU movies.

Black Widow. Not worth the wait. Should have happened years earlier.

Captain Marvel. Cosmic MCU with the exception of Thanos isn't my thing.

Guardians of the Galaxy. Cosmic MCU with the exception of Thanos isn't my thing.

Iron Man 3. Great first half before the Mandarin bait and switch. Still hate it.

Too low IMO:

Avengers: Infinity War. The best Avengers movie should be in the 90% and above bracket.

Captain America: The First Avenger belongs in the 90s with its two successors.

Eternals isn't the worst MCU movie, I have it above both Iron Man sequels, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Thor: The Dark World and The Incredible Hulk.

Edited by The Natural

23 hours ago, Log said:

I'm taking my kids this weekend (5 & 11).  My son (5) did great at the last Spiderman, so I think he'll be fine.  He's not your typical five-year-old when it comes to movies.  He'll sit through anything.  Recently, he's watched Rocky, Rocky II, Little Women (the newer one) and Hoosiers.  I warned him there may be a couple jump scares, so at least that won't be a surprise for him.  I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

Heads up - there's a few graphic deaths in there that are as gruesome as you'll see on screen for mainstream Marvel. 

Took four year old to drive-in, glad she fell asleep early on before that all kicked off

• Like 2

On 5/4/2022 at 1:04 PM, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Enjoyed it.

The midpoint reveal is really fun. It gets a bit lost in itself at times, the nods to various horror films are cute if not awkward. 

It sets things up nicely in spite of its weird narrative.

On 5/4/2022 at 3:39 PM, lostinube said:

A very Sam Raimi Marvel movie. Enjoyed it. Lots of inside stuff going on.

Cheers. Where would you place Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness among the 28 Marvel Studios Marvel Cinematic Universe movies?

Edited by The Natural

Saw it this morning and loved it. 

We went to the 10:45 show on a Thursday thinking it would be quiet, totally forgetting its an inservice day because lots of schools are used as polling places. So it was packed with lots of chatty little shits with their troughs full of smelly snacks.

Anyway, I loved the film. Really dug the aforementioned midpoint reveal (and the little bit of music with it). Mid-credits has me pumped for the next one. This movie has the coolest murders in all Marveldom.

I really didn't care for the first Strange movie and I didn't really warm to him in any of his subsequent appearences but I did like him here. I'm going to chalk it up to the director. And Wong. Always more Wong.

I really liked the dynamic between America and Dr. Strange. Xochitl Gomez is really good in this movie, one of the highlights.

I agree that the deaths in this movie are way better than anything they’ve done previously, but then again, there isn’t much to compare them to anyway. My favorite was (and spoilers for the mid-point of the movie)

Spoiler

Black Bolt murdering Strange on Titan, and then like 5 minutes later getting his mouth sealed shut by Wanda and exploding his own head because he screamed. That was just gross and awesome.

Actually, all of the ways the Illuminati died were pretty gruesome. But Black Bolt, Reed Richards and Captain Carter were probably the gnarliest.

And another thing about that point in the movie:

Spoiler

THEY PLAYED THE X-MEN ANIMATED SERIES THEME SONG

• Like 9

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Cheers. Where would you place Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness among the 28 Marvel Studios 

Looking over your RT list. 9 I liked less (Hulk, first 2 Thor, IM3, the 2 Antman, first Dr Strange, Black Widow, Captain Marvel), and I haven't seen Eternals/Shang-Chi but don't anticipate I'd like either more.

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon
  • Thanks 1

I dunno.

Spoiler

I liked this.  It's good.  But, I mean, most of these movies are "good" without being substantial.  The one moment in this that actually does approach something meaningful is the emotional climax of the film, and it boils the stakes of infinite lives down to the reaction of two scared kids.  So, if you have to get one spot in the film right, that's the right one to choose.  But the rest of it just feels a lot like "Sam Raimi doing Sam Raimi shit" and I expect we're going to get a lot of that going forward from other directors.

Was this as compelling a multiverse movie as Everything...  - nope, not within an alternate universe of being as good.  Was it a good Dr. Strange movie?  Mostly.  But the parade of "Yet another Stephen who was seduced by power" gets very old, very quickly.  Was it a good Marvel movie?  Yeah, and that's going to sort of be the problem I'm foreseeing.  Nothing is going to threaten the potential to make the Mouse money, and that will drive their story choice and their storytelling. 

I think I'm just done grading these on a curve.

• Like 1

I thought this was fucking fantastic, and easily among my favorite MCU films, just because it actually felt unique. It really hammered home the point that they need to let directors have more license when making these, because it exposed how cookie cutter most MCU flicks are.

It was Raimi as hell, and Wanda as a full blown horror villain really worked for me.

Some of the imagery might be a little much for small kids, so keep that in mind.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

I thought this was fucking fantastic, and easily among my favorite MCU films, just because it actually felt unique. It really hammered home the point that they need to let directors have more license when making these, because it exposed how cookie cutter most MCU flicks are.

It was Raimi as hell, and Wanda as a full blown horror villain really worked for me.

Some of the imagery might be a little much for small kids, so keep that in mind.

The only directors that come to mind are the Russo Brothers' Captain America: The Winter Soldier/Captain America: Civil War/Avengers: Infinity War/Avengers: Endgame, both James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy films and Taika Waititi's Thor: Ragnarok.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Raimi brought his toy box and got his shit in, so it’s a good time at the movies. It looks great, but there’s not much here beyond that and some good performances that will make me revisit it. There are fine ideas, it just feels slight after they’ve gone so hard on the multiverse and dropped a bunch of huge reveals in the past year. 

Spoiler

Maybe they shouldn’t have ratcheted up expectations with the trailers if most of the big cameos were only setting up a MacGruber/Suicide Squad gag. 

Probably could’ve cut a few minutes of computer cartoons flying at people towards the end too. 

• Like 1

I really hope a certain someone who was long part of the rumor mill isn't the actual casting for a certain male hero, as well.  I'm sick of him being in everything and I think he's shit casting for the character to begin with. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 12:22 PM, The Natural said:

Going this Friday afternoon with my Dad as he has the day off. My Sister has bought 3D tickets for us.

Got in 20 minutes ago. I enjoyed Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022) particularly the performances of Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Stephen Strange, Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff/The Scarlet Witch, Rachel McAdams as Dr. Christine Palmer (so glad she had something to do this time) and Sam Raimi's direction.

You can see Sam Raimi's touches on this. It is indeed the first MCU horror. Like others before me have said, some bits may not be suitable for young kids due to the graphic nature and jump scares. I've let Adam who is like a Brother to me know who has two young kids with one autistic. It's one of the few 3D films worth seeing in the format. I do think this film will divide the fanbase.

SPOILER THOUGHTS:

Spoiler

I'm in two minds about the Illuminati. It's the first time Professor Xavier and Doctor Reed Richards/Mister Fantastic appear in an MCU movie but are vanquished like jobbers, killed by the Scarlet Witch. It's fan service seeing them there but at what cost?

It's something getting those two as cameos before the actual real ones are cast. I'm guessing this was the only way to get John Krasinski as Doctor Reed Richards/Mister Fantastic.

I'll never tire seeing more of Hayley Atwell in the MCU here as What...If? Captain Carter.

Loved the X-Men cartoon theme song getting used as Xavier entered. The clothes and hoverchair resembled how Xavier looked in said series.

As noted this film really pushes the age certification particularly with deaths: Doctor Strange impaled twice, Black Bolt's head exploding as his mouth is covered by Scarlet Witch, Mister Fantastic unravels into strands with his head popping like a balloon and Xavier getting his neck snapped. There's also jump scares and a reanimated corpse in Defender Strange looking like something from Marvel Zombies.

The Scarlet Witch is so powerful in this taking out Kamar-Taj killing many sorcerers and destroying the Illuminati as she does.

I do think this film will divide the fanbase for the script, choices made and Wanda going full villain. To paraphrase Tropic Thunder, never go full villain.

With the Multiverse getting examined, I thought we'd see more of those and surprises to go with as cameos. Sometimes our imaginations and expectations go more than what is delivered which can lead to disappointment.

American Chavez didn't do much for me, is that how she is in comics or different? Guessing a blend of the two?

From there me and my Dad tried German Doner Kebab for the first time, we both had the original as a meal with fries, soft drink and set of sauces which hit the spot. I had the mixed with chicken/beef while Dad beef. I get home to find Mox has arrived so ends a great day out!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

My updated MCU rankings would look something like:

28. The Incredible Hulk (2008).

27. Thor: The Dark World (2013).

26. Iron Man 2 (2010).

25. Iron Man 3 (2013).

24. Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018).

23. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017).

22. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015).

21. Captain Marvel (2019).

20. Black Widow (2021).

19. Ant-Man (2015).

18. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014).

17. Eternals (2021).

16. Thor (2011).

15. Doctor Strange (2016).

14. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022).

13. Black Panther (2018).

12. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021).

11. Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019).

10. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017).

9. Thor: Ragnarok (2017).

8. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011).

7. Avengers: Endgame (2019).

6. Iron Man (2008).

5. Avengers Assemble (2012).

4. Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021).

3. Avengers: Infinity War (2018).

2. Captain America: Civil War (2016).

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014).

I'm unsure whether I preferred Doctor Strange to Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness or vice versa. Doctor Strange has similarities to a much better done film in Iron Man. I love the way Strange beats Dormammu/his zealots, such a contrast to how the majority of comic book movie confrontations go down. The focus is more on Strange than the sequel. My favourite Doctor Strange is from his first film and in Avengers: Infinity War/Avengers: Endgame. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse has the aforementioned horror aspect and the visuals.

Edited by The Natural