DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

37 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

14K setup, but more fans want to get in beyond that number. I guess they could open up more seats.

Oh, they will. I'm guessing at least 16-17K when the dust clears.

I wonder how this affects the match formation.  Do they do a bunch of non-controversial 10 man matches or do they now go balls out with Danielson vs Okada?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Man they could’ve done wrigley field. 

I imagine Wrigley is prohibitively expensive. But they could run SeatGeek Stadium or whatever the Fire's old joint is called.

43 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I wonder how this affects the match formation.  Do they do a bunch of non-controversial 10 man matches or do they now go balls out with Danielson vs Okada?

I'm sure everyone involved assumed this was going to be an obvious sellout, so I can't imagine that materializing changes much? Just my guess. 

• Like 1

Does 14,000 seem like a small audience for this building to anyone else? 1994 Summer Slam there had 23,000. I know staging is important and takes a huge chunk of seating. But with the obvious demand for this show wouldn't stream lining all that and fitting in the biggest house you can be the call here? Like the Arthur Ashe setup.

Like damn. The show is called Forbidden Door. Cut the entrance down to an LED Door like they used at MSG for WM20. You don't even need a big screen over the entrance. Everyone will have sight lines to the tron hanging down from the ceiling in the center. LED Door entrance with just the same LED ramp from Arthur Ashe and you could fit in 20,000 I would think.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 5

I am going to this show. Got the summer off and I was planning on being in Madison, Wisconsin for a friend's birthday a few days prior so gonna take the Van Galder Bus up to Chicago for it and then fly back home from O'Hare. Goddamn pumped. 

• Like 5

Yup...I forgot all about the presale. Habits are a bitch. Since I work 9-5 and don't usually have to break away from work to get in a queue for tickets, I missed out yesterday.

Jumped in queue this morning 6 minutes after the general public onsale. Waited for about 15-20 minutes...and after that started to see hundreds of people in front of me bounce out of queue. To take the late, great Brodie Lee out of context: "You know what that means."

It said I could get two tickets in some nosebleed section yet every seat was greyed out?! Since I only needed one - and tried to switch to one ticket - no options available. 

This will be yet another "next time" for me unless more seats magically open up. Not really feeling paying scalper prices to go to this, but we'll see.

1.png?token-time=1653091200&token-hash=lIt looks like they’re doing the small stage setup in Inglewood, maybe they’ll do the same for this show. I still remember thinking how cool Madison square garden looked at summerslam 98 with the wrestlers coming out of one of the rampways. Fuck the stage. 

Edited by matt925
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, matt925 said:

It looks like they’re doing the small stage setup in Inglewood, maybe they’ll do the same for this show. I still remember thinking how cool Madison square garden looked at summerslam 98 with the wrestlers coming out of one of the rampways. Fuck the stage. 

Yes, 'fuck the stage'! Tho, I'm cool with most of AEW set-ups, it's the smaller companies with their needless 'Titan Trons' and cheap looking ephemera that need to go. There's no law that you have to try and look like Raw. The WWF MSG set-up that you mentioned is perfect, and I'm cool with the mechanical doors, but a simple curtain will do just fine. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, matt925 said:

1.png?token-time=1653091200&token-hash=lIt looks like they’re doing the small stage setup in Inglewood, maybe they’ll do the same for this show. I still remember thinking how cool Madison square garden looked at summerslam 98 with the wrestlers coming out of one of the rampways. Fuck the stage. 

I miss that MSG entrance in the stands as seen at WrestleMania X, Survivor Series 1996, SummerSlam 1998 and Survivor Series 2002.

• Like 3

Ufc doesn’t need a stage and it always looks awesome. Of course they always have full to sold out crowds. And they’d rather make more money. most aew and wwe tv won’t fill an arena and the stage helps with the look, but for unique shows with high demand I’d go in planning to not block off a third of the arena. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

I miss that MSG entrance in the stands as seen at WrestleMania X, Survivor Series 1996, SummerSlam 1998 and Survivor Series 2002.

They had it for the 2008 Royal Rumble too.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

2000 Royale Rumble as well with HHH and Foley brawling in aisle way. Love the visual of the wresters seemingly coming through the audience on all those shows

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The Natural said:

So do NY Knicks fans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1.png?token-time=1653264000&token-hash=9

Wow they just opened up the lower bowl behind the stage for the Detroit dynamite as well. Maybe this will be the new format for large arenas. It’s possible for a ppv though they’ll want an impressive stage, but I like this way more. Lots more good seats for people to get. Looking forward to how the Inglewood and Detroit shows look on tv. 

On the discussion of stages, I do love me the narrow entrance from MSG - but I do wish AEW would consider changing up their sets a little more for PPVs. I would absolutely LOVE to see some of those early 2000s esque WWE sets akin to the Backlash swinging scythe, the KotR chair, SummerSlams giant ass logo, etc.

Granted WWE doesn't even do that anymore and it irks the shit out of me. I know AEW tinkers with their stage a little bit it seems like it's all the same set pieces just rearranged. Gimme a giant slot machine with the part where the symbols come up being the video portion. Stuff lile that. Give these events some feeling of life.

Or not. I'll be watching regardless

• Like 5

Wrestletix has noticed on the seat map now all the individual seats behind the stage are shown, whereas before it was just a solid gray area. @Craig H and anyone else who wants to go, I would make it a daily habit to check Ticketmaster, if not multiple times a day. You may end up with better seats than thousands of people who were able to score on the presale. 

If I notice anything I’ll post. 

On 4/23/2022 at 2:57 AM, Gordlow said:

Mad King vs Taichi for the rights to Kawada's legacy! Loser has to wear Misawa's colours for one year. 

Only if it ends in a DQ when someone (probably Kingston,) smashes the other one out with an elbow. 

• Haha 1

I didn’t notice when it happened but it looks like half the lower bowl seats behind the stage were listed and are gone, there’s still a bunch of seats in the upper level 321. 100% they will be opening all the rest, if I was able to attend I’d be checking Ticketmaster every hour. 

Also section 331 on the opposite side has a bunch of seats left. Better sections will open up but that seemed pretty random (I cut the chord with Twitter so I’m out of the loop on breaking news) so never saw an announcement. 

edit: I believe 222 and 226 were newly listed and gone while I’m posting this. I’d be refreshing the site right now if I wanted to go (I’ll be refreshing the site anyway)

edit2: if I see 223-225 open I’m gonna buy two tickets to offer for face value to a good poster here

edit3: now giving a pop up saying something went wrong and site shutting down lol. Wonder if this wasn’t planned to happen at 1am local time. 

Edited by matt925