DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

I'm on a little solo retreat in the rural heart of Ireland at the moment and watched the show this evening with some good steak, good wine and the river Shannon outside my window, good times!

That crowd was incredible throughout!

"Billy Ass and the Ass boys" - beautiful!

Had a sneaking suspicion PAC would win his match because I think the All Atlantic title is going to be a big part of AEW coming to the UK and PAC is a perfect hometown champ. If they do go to Craven Cottage I might have to take a trip over (maybe say hello to the Brit contingent of the board?). Delighted for PAC anyway.

ZSJ/CC was so so good, wished we could have had some of Zack's more inventive move names called (Hurrah! Another Year, Surely This One Will Be Better Than the Last; The Inexorable March of Progress Will Lead Us All to Happiness!)

OC/Ospreay was my match of the night, incredible athleticism, intensity and laughs - everything I love!

El-P is one of my new favourites, I love stupid stuff like titty twisters and incredibly over elaborate back rakes, it's an entertainment business and I'm entertained!

• Like 6

Maybe I’m weird.  But as I was watching the show I was thinking of a recent post around here reminiscing about King of the Ring 93.  I recalled how great that show was because it was JUST a wrestling show.  A show that could be watched in a vacuum detached from current storylines and continuity.

I was kind of anticipating getting something like that out of this show.  A rewatch will really cement it.  But I’m already really sure it’ll work that way.

I’m so not familiar with a lot of the current New Japan roster.  It didn’t matter.  I was even enjoying friggin’ Kanemaru.  I hate Kanemaru.  Whatever.  Everyone decided to be awesome.  Kanemaru is awesome too, I guess.  

I walked away being very impressed with a bunch of guys who I’d never really seen in El Desperado, El-P, and even Great O’Khan didn’t seem nearly as worthless as I’d heard portrayed.  

Even Jericho kept the pace with a lot of people who are A LOT younger than him.  Kudos to all of them. 

The Ass Boys is getting over.  Just wait until Danhausen convinces them to embrace it.  What even is this world?  

Edit: Fuck!  I forgot mention how great PAC finally being a champion is.  

Edited by Brandon Bones
  • Like 6

I reluctantly cashed in my expiring FITE credits on this one. Didn't have much interest whatsoever. The TV leading up was uncharacteristically ordinary, I'm a bit tin-foil hat about the nature of so many top guys having undefined major injuries that lead to them missing an interpromotional PPV too, so I figured we'd get shitty finishes everywhere to cater to the necessary politics involved.

So glad to be wrong on all counts.

That was great fun. Bring on the summer of Eddie Kingston.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

One of my favourite moments from the show, Sting no selling Superkick Party. Sting busting out the Senton as well.

Found Sting's Senton:

Seeing Sting's AEW run is so satisfying.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It's stinking hot here right now. Hot enough to just want to stay inside with the air conditioning on. And, given that I spent very close to six full hours marking out over the past few days, I decided to try and do a full @DEAN-style big re-watch of the go home Rampage, the buy in, and Forbidden Door. 

It's really cool for me to see that even people who are decidedly not in the middle of the AEW mark/NJPW mark venn diagram also seemed to really love Forbidden Door. Makes sense, though. It really was a damned good show.

Millioke Rampage

Also a great pro wrestling crowd. They started chanting "Eddie" as soon as Andrade and Fenix started going for the duelling three amigos. How great is that? 

Andrade works the size and strength advantage vs Fenix, but presumably he wouldn't do that if he were facing, say, Wardlow. That's smart pro wrestling. Fenix can work the agility advantage against literally anyone. These guys work at such a high degree of difficulty, as well, but everything lands beautifully. It's truly impressive.

Over on the Navel Gazing thread I am getting into positivity, curiosity, enthusiasm... but here is the mad king showing how anger is also an energy that can get you through the shit to a better place. And I see his point. Kingston is the best.

The Swerve and Lee story is so interesting. I would prefer to see them work things out, but I also kind of want to see them fight. 

It's cool how Deeb & Mercedes are also a "team with issues" but in a different way. Toss in Hook & Danhausen and you've got three distinct variations on that story, which is a lot of fun. 

I'm serious about wanting Serena and Martinez to go full on down the Hokuto and Kandori path. "Mutual respect" stories can be told with a fair bit of nuance, in the ring, when you are as good as those two. 

I think Danhausen is valuable in the way he humanizes Hook and helps keep the "undefeated cool handsome guy" stuff from rubbing people the wrong way. Also, Hook's throws and holds look really intense and believable and so on. that also really helps.

Danhausen:Hook::The Ass Boys:The Acclaimed

Along the lines of how Fenix has the agility advantage against anyone he might ever face, Cobb has the strength advantage. If you brought back young Andre in a time machine, Cobb should still try to overpower him. The dude is a freak of nature!

It makes perfect sense that Cobb should win the singles match but FTR should win the tag match. 

As top-to-bottom great as this show was, I think the post-main-event mayhem match might have been the best thing about it.

The Buy-in

The crowd erupting with boos for The Factory then roaring with joy for Bishamon really set a perfect tone for the whole show. 

A hot crowd can sometimes make a huge difference, and this show is a great example of how that can work. 

If anyone from AEW is indeed lurking here: PLEASE mic up every arena the way you mic'd up this one! The crowd's enthusiasm just added so much to the enjoyment, all show long.

Factory played to it perfectly, as well. Non-stop heeling and cheating. 

I thought that having YOSHI-HASHI and Swerve get hot tags after their larger partners played face in peril was interesting and fun. 

Then it paid off nicely in the main event, with Giant Rockabilly getting the hottest tag of all after his partner took an extended beat-down from The Dojo Boys.

Archer and Comoroto, with their 1980s bodies and 2020s big man agility (rope-walk moonsault! skin the cat!) bring added value because they are always going to look awesome no matter how many hard-fought battles we see them lose. Every time they walk out their sheer physicality is going to win the crowd over. That was a really good BMMSM match. You can't go wrong giving us one of those.

Another cool thing about Swerve in our Glory vs Suzuki Gun was how it was four guys with really distinct styles who all stuck to those styles (crafty, quick and technical, overpowering, smoothly creative) but yet the match flowed seamlessly. You can almost never go wrong using body part psychology as a spine for a match. Lee didn't really yeet anybody, but him hitting  Despy and Kanemaru with one another was a lot of fun.

I can't get over how huge Billy Gunn looks in AEW.

What a show! I'll try to get my Forbidden Door re-watch in soon.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

The Swerve and Lee story is so interesting. I would prefer to see them work things out, but I also kind of want to see them fight. 

I'd like Swerve to say "Hey, let's have a match, get it out of your system Keith, and then we move back into climbing the tag ranks again."

Then they cut a promo and change the name of the team to the INFINITELY better:

Strick-Lee Business*

They can start back at the bottom and build back up for a title match towards the end of the year, hopefully against "All the Titles" FTR.

*Bizniss? Biznitch? I'm not down on the cool kid lingo right now...

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 2

Welp. I picked a hell of a time to go to my first AEW show. Most fun I've ever had in a wrestling crowd. The crowd was so rabid, man. I think even the 2nd multiple german suplex spot got a standing ovation lol.  

Entire show really delivered, but I can not express how perfect Ospreay/OC felt in the arena. Crowd bit on everything they were doing. Some GREAT near falls. Both these guys rule so much. Particularly loved the playing possum sequence that didn't really work. OC baits him into a high risk moonsault, but it doesn't really matter because Ospreay is such an athletic freak. In the end of that sequence OC gets the knees up anyways, but he has to fight to get there. It's that last bit that makes the character work. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, L_W_P said:

I'd like Swerve to say "Hey, let's have a match, get it out of your system Keith, and then we move back into climbing the tag ranks again."

“If it’ll make you feel better you can hit me. I’ll give you one shot.”

Spoiler

F8-D18-C69-3311-4-B0-C-8-D3-F-9-C4696-E1

• Haha 3

Also need to give kudos to Kevin Kelly and the job that he does. When I first started watching NJPW a few years ago, he became one of the announcers I gravitated towards. I love is style and approach to commentary.

Probably was a good job saving JR and Tony for specific matches. That definitely helped the card. I can imagine JR shitting on ELP's heel antics had he been commentating.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Jrag said:

Welp. I picked a hell of a time to go to my first AEW show. Most fun I've ever had in a wrestling crowd. The crowd was so rabid, man. I think even the 2nd multiple german suplex spot got a standing ovation lol.  

Entire show really delivered, but I can not express how perfect Ospreay/OC felt in the arena. Crowd bit on everything they were doing. Some GREAT near falls. Both these guys rule so much. Particularly loved the playing possum sequence that didn't really work. OC baits him into a high risk moonsault, but it doesn't really matter because Ospreay is such an athletic freak. In the end of that sequence OC gets the knees up anyways, but he has to fight to get there. It's that last bit that makes the character work. 

I'm curious, did you see what was happening during the main event that had the crowd distracted?