DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

05549dab97cc9315-600x338.JPG

A cool moment, Katsuyori Shibata debut in AEW.

AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door was such a great show. Looking forward to the inevitable sequel already.

Oh man, they have GOT to run Shibata versus QT Marshall in the on-going Factory vs LA Dojo feud!

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, The Natural said:

d460e21006715143-600x338.JPG

One of my favourite spots from the show not mentioned till now, Shota Shooter Umino keeping Chris Jericho in the Walls of Jericho even when Minoru Suzuki and Sammy Guevara were attacking him. Fighting spirit!

Jericho really seemed to be going out of his way to put Shota over last night.

• Like 4

This was definitely worth every penny of the $15 I spent on Fite through a VPN connection. The build-up could have been better, but with it being a month after Double Or Nothing, it is what it is. Hopefully the next one isn't immediately after a big AEW show, and isn't right before or after New Japan's biggest tournament. As a casual fan of stuff like NJPW, NOAH, Stardom, TJPW, etc. I hope one day we can get a massive supershow with all companies involved, but I realize how unrealistic that is. But a boy can dream, can't he?

• But, this show. Holy smokes. If Shota isn't returning to New Japan immediately, I think having his excursion move to America and AEW would be a fantastic thing. Not every crowd they have is quite as molten as Chicago always is, but there have been only a handful of lacklusters crowds over the years, and I think Shota would remain just as over in, say, Pittsburgh, as he was last night at the United Center. Everyone did really well in that six man tag, that was a great opener.
  • FTR winning the IWGP tag titles is great, hopefully they get to go over there and defend them. I think it's more likely they do a show or two over there but mainly defend them in AEW, though (and eventually drop them in Japan, I'd imagine?). O-Khan is a big ol' meh, Jeff Cobb is fantastic as usual, but I honestly prefer Chuck & Trent to Trent & Rocky. But it's whatever, I get why they did it (and I guess Chuck Taylor might be on a per appearance deal now, if the rumors are to be believed). One thing of note: Dax doing a worked injury made the monkey's paw curl last night, since Adam Cole and supposedly Jon Moxley have concussions now.
  • Color me fuckin' shocked that PAC won the All-Atlantic title. I thought for sure it would be MIro (or Ishii if he was actually in the match). It was a fun four way match, though. All I can really remember from it is, in the hours before the match, Wreddit had posted a clip of his Twitch shortly after Miro debuted in AEW and he was silent when a fan brought up the idea of working against PAC (because of an injury in a match with him previously). I like that they incorporated that into the match - or, alternatively, Miro was actually upset about the entire thing and wanted to work a little snug against him. One complaint: Clark Connors ain't for me, dawg.
  • Holy shit Sting, you're a few years away from drawing Social Security, why you doin' this shit?! But it was awesome, for sure. I haven't read the thread, so I don't know, but I can only imagine how little people liked the Young Bucks and El Phantasmo shenanigans. I loved it, though. Especially Phantasmo, wow. What a sleazy prick. Sting moved better than Shingo at times, but then Shingo would turn it on and just look like a fucking beast.
  • I don't even want to talk about Thunder Rosa versus Toni Storm. Shortest match on the main card, and it honestly felt like a 10 minute squash with a little offense from Toni.
  • This is when I was starting to fall asleep, mainly because I was watching in bed, but also because I had only gotten like 4 hours sleep that day. I don't remember anything from Ospreay/Cassidy, except Shibata after the match because of how fuckin' weird (in a good way) all of that was. This is one of three matches I'll need to rewatch (IWGP title match and Mox/Tanahashi being the other ones), and I don't have anything to say about those because I legit did fall asleep after this next match.
  • Claudio! Great seeing him, for sure. Him & Eddie in Blood & Guts is going to be magnificent stuff, I'm sure. ZSJ is a wunderkind and I'm kind of sad he won't get to mix it up with others on the AEW roster most likely, besides Danielson eventually. I need to watch Claudio's entrance again, because I remember the pop being MASSIVE.
  • I said I won't comment on the last two matches, but one thing I do want to point out about the IWGP title match is that the Young Bucks were going to check on Hangman when they (and Kyle O'Reilly) came to the ring after the match. But Kyle pulled them away and over to Adam Cole. Looooong storyline fans are going to hate this, because it's barely gotten started and might be put on ice for even longer since Cole was already injured and now he has a concussion.

I read some complaints on the NJPW subreddit that this felt more like an AEW show but with some New Japan guys on it, and I mean, yeah, it did. But if it had taken place in Japan, it would have felt like an NJPW show with AEW guys, so I'm not sure what the complaint is there. 

• Like 4

I think I'm fine with the finish of the Fatal Fourway.  Why wouldn't Jay White take advantage of his little buddy's legit injury and cover him if there was no one else around to stop him?

That said, him being champ does diminish my interest in NJPW in ways Okada and others wouldn't.  I wish we could've gotten the Hangman v. Okada match that was teased, even if it was a clean loss to Hanger.  Jay White is a net negative on the mic, and his performance on the media scrum was off-putting and kinda lame, especially with the terrible catchphrases. 

I have no idea what's going on with the US championship, and frankly, wish they just kept it focused on Will v. Cassidy, and not even bring up Juice Robinson.  Like JR said, let's focus on what's actually happening in the ring.  Which was my MOTN.  I have no hangups with Ospreay and generally pretty happy with him even if he's a twat sometimes on the internet. 

Everything was great and most matches were excellent. 

Also Thunder Rosa's paint and Aztec Warrior entrance gear was God-Tier.  Fantastic and the derivation from the typical half paint was probably one of the best I've ever seen.  Really also played into some of her facial expressions during the match. 

Best PPV I've ever seen and watched through. 

• Like 6

Two part show is/was the way to go (for me). This allowed me the energy and enthusiasm for everything not unlike that absofuckinglutely fantastic Chicago crowd. Bang-Banging-Banger wrestling from the Factory preshow opener to the divisive show closing angle. I loved everything. Too many commentators, but loved that they mixed it up and kept the salty confused old boy off there for at least part of the show. Much appreciated AEW!

• Like 1

general AEW naysayer here (and lapsed NJPW fan) who watched Tanahashi-Moxley, the four way, and CC-Sabre. Enjoyed them all! Main event was the best. Didn't go too long either, didn't go prog rock, just a good battle with some blood and a decisive finish that didn't bury the loser.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Jay White is a net negative on the mic, and his performance on the media scrum was off-putting and kinda lame, especially with the terrible catchphrases. 

Man, that was unbearable.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Taz seemed to be loving getting to call a Zack Sabre, Jr. match.

Dude was great the whole show. I look forward to him eventually getting promoted. 

• Like 4

Really happy to see this show deliver after so many people were skeptical going in. My top 3 matches were:

Ospreay vs. OC. This felt like the sleeper MOTN candidate going in due to the potential chemistry between their acts and they hit it out of the park. Ospreay is the perfect cocky "moves" guy and OC is a great underdog that knows how to build heat and turn it up at the right moment. Ospreay doing moves for the sake of moves made perfect sense against a guy who he felt was well beneath him. We've seen OC work this kind of match before and Ospreay work his kind of match before, but this was a match made in heaven for both of them. The finishing run had just the right amount of stuff to maximize the story and heat, and made both guys look great. The pacing and layout of the match reminded me of a high-end GHC Juniors match from the mid 2000s.

Dudes with Attitude vs. Bullet Club. With all the workrate on the show, these guys were smart to incorporate a lot more comedy into the match to stand out. Haven't seen Phantasmo before, but he reminded me of a younger Jack Evans. Good fit for the Bucks, who were turning back the clock with their ridiculous offense. Much like Ospreay/OC, the match benefited from the wrestlers knowing when to turn it down and when to turn it up. Super fun stuff start to finish.

Claudio vs. ZSJ. The big thing was of course delivering on Claudio as the mystery opponent. It was never going to be the technical dream match that it would've been with Bryan, but it did end up being a great "small technical guy tries to chip away a freight train" match. Claudio's stair climb with ZSJ on one arm was insane, and fuck the producers for not getting a wider shot of that. Hopefully this won't be the last we see of ZSJ in AEW because while he played the role admirably, he deserves more than a being a heater for a new top guy.

Swerve/Lee vs. Hashi/Kanemaru from the Buy-In gets honorable mention here too. SIOG is a great team who I'm hoping won't split. You could make the case that either or both should be pushed in singles, but keeping them warm as a top team for now is a great use of their talent. Kanemaru had a sleazy old guy vibe even when he was young, so seeing him fully lean into it drinking Jack Daniels (or the Japanese equivalent) on the way to the ring while trying futilely try to outwit his much larger and more athletic opponents was good fun.

The rest of the show was fine to good individual matches that did feel a bit same-y in aggregate. Highlights were Kingston/Minoru chop fest, Great O Khan's tornado DDT sell, Jericho giving Umino the fireball, Rosa hitting her best looking Fire Thunder Driver ever, and Mox's gusher.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I still can’t get over how good OC/Ospreay was. And I was one of the people who expected it to be really good going in.

OC definitely got himself booked in Japan last night, whenever that’s able to happen.

• Like 5

White is a peculiar one, because in some respects he’s clearly trying to channel peak-period Conor McGregor, but in others he has the kind of corniness that McGregor of those years would have had a ball ripping apart on the mic. Physicality & mannerisms are all there though .. just need to refine the witticisms 

• Like 1

I'm on a little solo retreat in the rural heart of Ireland at the moment and watched the show this evening with some good steak, good wine and the river Shannon outside my window, good times!

That crowd was incredible throughout!

"Billy Ass and the Ass boys" - beautiful!

Had a sneaking suspicion PAC would win his match because I think the All Atlantic title is going to be a big part of AEW coming to the UK and PAC is a perfect hometown champ. If they do go to Craven Cottage I might have to take a trip over (maybe say hello to the Brit contingent of the board?). Delighted for PAC anyway.

ZSJ/CC was so so good, wished we could have had some of Zack's more inventive move names called (Hurrah! Another Year, Surely This One Will Be Better Than the Last; The Inexorable March of Progress Will Lead Us All to Happiness!)

OC/Ospreay was my match of the night, incredible athleticism, intensity and laughs - everything I love!

El-P is one of my new favourites, I love stupid stuff like titty twisters and incredibly over elaborate back rakes, it's an entertainment business and I'm entertained!

• Like 6

Maybe I’m weird.  But as I was watching the show I was thinking of a recent post around here reminiscing about King of the Ring 93.  I recalled how great that show was because it was JUST a wrestling show.  A show that could be watched in a vacuum detached from current storylines and continuity.

I was kind of anticipating getting something like that out of this show.  A rewatch will really cement it.  But I’m already really sure it’ll work that way.

I’m so not familiar with a lot of the current New Japan roster.  It didn’t matter.  I was even enjoying friggin’ Kanemaru.  I hate Kanemaru.  Whatever.  Everyone decided to be awesome.  Kanemaru is awesome too, I guess.  

I walked away being very impressed with a bunch of guys who I’d never really seen in El Desperado, El-P, and even Great O’Khan didn’t seem nearly as worthless as I’d heard portrayed.  

Even Jericho kept the pace with a lot of people who are A LOT younger than him.  Kudos to all of them. 

The Ass Boys is getting over.  Just wait until Danhausen convinces them to embrace it.  What even is this world?  

Edit: Fuck!  I forgot mention how great PAC finally being a champion is.  

Edited by Brandon Bones
  • Like 6

I reluctantly cashed in my expiring FITE credits on this one. Didn't have much interest whatsoever. The TV leading up was uncharacteristically ordinary, I'm a bit tin-foil hat about the nature of so many top guys having undefined major injuries that lead to them missing an interpromotional PPV too, so I figured we'd get shitty finishes everywhere to cater to the necessary politics involved.

So glad to be wrong on all counts.

That was great fun. Bring on the summer of Eddie Kingston.

• Like 7