DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

28 minutes ago, The Natural said:

One of my favourite moments from the show, Sting no selling Superkick Party. Sting busting out the Senton as well.

I passed on the show because we had a long flight back with a toddler in the afternoon and I don't know who too many of the NJPW dudes are.

But Sting no-selling a Superkick Partayyy and beating his chest right after is pro wrestling at its core. 

One of the problems at times with AEW overall is that it's just too much all at once and a bunch of people on the roster need an editor. But there are also a lot of people on the roster who understand the importance of having little moments and allowing things to breath. When that happens, we get all sorts of greatness like the above or the thing Britt did a few weeks ago with the headbutts into the turnbuckle or Britt winking at the camera or Best Friends winning the big one as Where Is My Mind plays or Moxley telling Yuta "NOW IS WHEN THE HARD WORK BEGINS!!!" 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Matt D said:

His kickout surprise face later, less so

Yeah but it looked so stupid, and HE looks so stupid, that you could meme that into a Cornette Face. (Speaking of which god Rosa needs to cut that shit out.) 

So what exactly did Mox blade off of, a Sling Blade or punches? I asked in the chat and seemed to get both answers. What happened on my end was the feed didn't stop at all, it just literally cut from them being in ring to Mox covered in blood, no streaming or nothing. Very, very strange. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DEAN said:

Awesome.

Love Kenta Kobashi. My top three of all time is made up of Bryan Danielson at #1 with Bret Hart and Kenta Kobashi. Rounding it up to a top five, Kazuchika Okada and Hiroshi Tanahashi.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah but it looked so stupid, and HE looks so stupid, that you could meme that into a Cornette Face. (Speaking of which god Rosa needs to cut that shit out.) 

So what exactly did Mox blade off of, a Sling Blade or punches? I asked in the chat and seemed to get both answers. What happened on my end was the feed didn't stop at all, it just literally cut from them being in ring to Mox covered in blood, no streaming or nothing. Very, very strange. 

This.

Thought it was off a Sling Blade or accidental clash of heads.

Edited by The Natural

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Commentary seemed to finally settle on it being from the arm-trap head kicks a few seconds earlier.

Mox is so bad at hiding when he blades that they cut away from him on the outside for a noticeable amount of time so it looked weird. I just assumed he was supposed to have cut his head on something when he got sent outside. 

Sting was awesome, but it was funny when he forgot the spot he was supposed to do with Phantasmo and got out of the ring to brawl with someone, and El P stood in the ring panicking and looking around until Sting came back in. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I hate, hate, hate the "shocked kickout" face.  My main reason is that 99% if the time, it comes after a move that has NEVER beat anyone.  Why are you shocked?  You've never won with that move.

To be fair to Osprey (and I may be remembering this wrong), didn't he do the face after this back of the head elbow move?  That is usually a finisher, so he'd actually have a reason to be shocked.

But I am 100% with you all that the face needs to go away. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Mox is so bad at hiding when he blades that they cut away from him on the outside for a noticeable amount of time so it looked weird. I just assumed he was supposed to have cut his head on something when he got sent outside. 

I don't know if it's more of a production issue or a worker thing but AEW is, in general, really bad about getting bladejobs on camera.

23 minutes ago, Log said:

I hate, hate, hate the "shocked kickout" face.  My main reason is that 99% if the time, it comes after a move that has NEVER beat anyone.  Why are you shocked?  You've never won with that move.

To be fair to Osprey (and I may be remembering this wrong), didn't he do the face after this back of the head elbow move?  That is usually a finisher, so he'd actually have a reason to be shocked.

But I am 100% with you all that the face needs to go away. 

I hate that trope as well. So overplayed in wrestling.

Ospreay did it twice: First time after the two Ozcutters and second time from the Hidden Blade. Didn't expect Orange Cassidy to kick out of that.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Sting was awesome, but it was funny when he forgot the spot he was supposed to do with Phantasmo and got out of the ring to brawl with someone, and El P stood in the ring panicking and looking around until Sting came back in. 

Forgot that. I chuckled.

d460e21006715143-600x338.JPG

One of my favourite spots from the show not mentioned till now, Shota Shooter Umino keeping Chris Jericho in the Walls of Jericho even when Minoru Suzuki and Sammy Guevara were attacking him. Fighting spirit!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5