DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

The only thing missing from Forbidden Door was Okada's full entrance.  I miss the golden dollars from the heavens raining on the crowd.  It's not that Okada has money, it's that Okada IS money.  Big matches need big entrances.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Log said:

Well, right as Orange/Osprey was getting under way, I heard a noise coming from my basement.  It was water pouring in from the windows.  It's happened before, but supposedly the problem was fixed.  Blah blah blah, construction on a new house behind us altered the runoff and caused my back and side yard to look like a lake.  Fun.

Anyhoo, up until that point, little man and I were having a blast with this show. He's a big Death Triangle fan, so he literally jumped up when Pac won. By the time I got the basement issue settled for the night, he had to go to bed. I watched the rest of the show.

I mean, other than the IWGP 4-way finish, as everyone has noted, this was just a stellar show.  There really wasn't a single result that had me disappointed. Well, I would've like to have seen Storm win the women's title, and I think a 20-minute draw might have been best for the Claudio/ZSJ match, but neither of those finishes really bugged me.

Like many of you have pointed out, that crowd was batshit. They popped huge for lots of stuff and stayed engaged the whole show. I really think that if that "Go Ace!" chant doesn't happen in the main, the finish would've been a bit anticlimactic. Also, the pop when Sting no-sold the superkicks from YB was HUGE.  There are plenty of examples of a dead crowd ruining a show, but Chicago may have made this one.

I'm not a guy who rewatches a lot of stuff. Not just wrestling, but movies, tv shows, whatever. I can't wait to rewatch some of this show with my son this evening, though.

Sorry to hear that, bud. Virtual hugs. I enjoy your posts about your viewing experiences with the wife and son.

• Like 1

It sure seems that this show was a success from a fan perspective.  I'm hoping that both companies feel the same way.  The only positive with all of the injuries is that it left a ton of great matchups on the table. 

Personally, while I loved this show, going forward I'd like to see the AEW/NJPW relationship bring us more one-off type matches on "normal" shows. Like, a couple NJ guys for All Out.  Maybe have Punk and Danielson on Wrestle Kingdom.  Stuff like that.  Don't get me wrong, I'd gladly take Forbidden Door II with healthy Punk, Danielson, Jungle Boy, Iishi, Hiromu, etc.

• Like 2

Ok, I made it through the Claudio match. Quick thoughts.

• You knew the crowd was going to be great when QT got so much heat. The Solo spin kick into the diamond cutter was a very believable nearfall. QT's missed 450 was nuts. He should never hit that but he can miss a hubris splash now and again.
  • I had no idea that Archer vs Comoroto was on this card but it was awesome. I would have liked to see him go back for the gorilla press again. I know some people who never saw Comoroto before that came off as impressed. Even Kelly was like "hey, this guy should be in next year's G1."
  • Swerve/Lee tag had some good stuff and less good stuff. I still think Lee is wrestling pretty much exactly as he should for this roster, whether it's due to physical limitations or choice.
  • Gunn Club match was weird. I half thought Bowens was going to get up and do something. Billy came off like a huge star and world beater. They could do Mox vs Gunn tomorrow and no one would blink (or at least they shouldn't). Nice to get Danhausen a moment.
  • I'll write up the opener for tonight but I loved the set up/payoff for the machine gun chops with Suzuki no selling them and Jericho getting destroyed by them. Suzuki as the answer to Kingston was pretty great. Wish we had longer heat on Kingston instead of everything breaking down so early. Spots were good but it got to be a bit too much and choreographed by the time Yuta hit his splash. He had an otherwise great performance. It's obvious the BCC guys train together because he's an entirely different wrestler than a few months ago.
  • I liked how in the triple threat tag, the two teams (or 1.5 teams) had to work together to take out the monsters. Little moments like Cash having to make the tag were good. Weird to have multiple Germans two matches in a row. Camera work on the finish was a little weird as they usually hide the big rig set up more. Bring on the AEW titles.
  • I was kind of exhausted by the 4 way since it was multiman after multi man spot after spot all action so far, so it was a nice breather as they beat on Connors. Black and Miro interaction was fun. It was nice how the crowd got behind Connors in the end. PAC won to set up the UK show obviously but the crowd wanted Miro.
  • I'll write up the Darby match tonight but by this point it was way too many multi-mans in a row. Way, way too many. And while this should have been a palette cleaner, it was an all action, spot-spot-spot one so it was just too much. Sting was great in it and everyone fed him well.
  • Rosa vs Storm was ok. The final reckoning might be my favorite move in wrestling so nice to see Rosa take it on. She could do worse than be a Dustin tribute act. I'm starting to think she needs a heel turn too. It might have been Storm's moment but that's the problem with heating up a challenger in AEW. It almost always feels like the challenger should win.
  • I quite liked Ospreay vs Cassidy, actually. I was a little bemused early that they left the antics so soon because Ospreay's reactions to them was something I was really looking forward to. Plus, it was Cassidy sort of turning them up from the get go. BUT they went back to it mid-match and Ospreay's face as he was getting weak-kicked was amazing. His kickout surprise face later, less so. Cassidy was so quick when it mattered and maybe i would have rather they dialed it back 5-10% it still worked for what they were doing. I used to say I had no time for Ospreay but I'd watch him against the right opponent now, especially a base. This should have been moved up three slots on the card to break things up though.
  • The Claudio pop was amazing. Most people live their whole lives without having people cheer like that. I can't imagine he's going to look back in decades with any regrets for his decision to sign with AEW, even if he is a new father and is coming to the back part of his career. Just that pop. And you knew he knew it. Match was excellent. Claudio's selling was excellent. His basing so that ZSJ could put on his holds (especially that octopus on the top but not just) was excellent. He put the match over the moment by cutting the giant swing short which was a very mature decision. The moment with the cameraman was awesome. I wish we had heard what he had to say on the way out and they didn't have the announcers talk over it. There are ~50 people on the AEW roster I want to see Claudio wrestle. I counted. That's not even an exaggeration.

All that said, this was definitely not a show for me. I'd say that AEW shows usually have a lot more variety and this, either due to the need to fit so many people on the roster by forcing multi-mans or due to some aspect of the NJPW style that they were celebrating, was just spot after spot after spot after spot and while I appreciate it WAS for a lot of people, the first half really got old for me quickly, even if I'm not going to argue with the quality of what was being presented. Just not for me. I enjoyed the two singles at the end of what I saw though.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, The Natural said:

One of my favourite moments from the show, Sting no selling Superkick Party. Sting busting out the Senton as well.

I passed on the show because we had a long flight back with a toddler in the afternoon and I don't know who too many of the NJPW dudes are.

But Sting no-selling a Superkick Partayyy and beating his chest right after is pro wrestling at its core. 

One of the problems at times with AEW overall is that it's just too much all at once and a bunch of people on the roster need an editor. But there are also a lot of people on the roster who understand the importance of having little moments and allowing things to breath. When that happens, we get all sorts of greatness like the above or the thing Britt did a few weeks ago with the headbutts into the turnbuckle or Britt winking at the camera or Best Friends winning the big one as Where Is My Mind plays or Moxley telling Yuta "NOW IS WHEN THE HARD WORK BEGINS!!!" 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Matt D said:

His kickout surprise face later, less so

Yeah but it looked so stupid, and HE looks so stupid, that you could meme that into a Cornette Face. (Speaking of which god Rosa needs to cut that shit out.) 

So what exactly did Mox blade off of, a Sling Blade or punches? I asked in the chat and seemed to get both answers. What happened on my end was the feed didn't stop at all, it just literally cut from them being in ring to Mox covered in blood, no streaming or nothing. Very, very strange. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DEAN said:

Awesome.

Love Kenta Kobashi. My top three of all time is made up of Bryan Danielson at #1 with Bret Hart and Kenta Kobashi. Rounding it up to a top five, Kazuchika Okada and Hiroshi Tanahashi.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah but it looked so stupid, and HE looks so stupid, that you could meme that into a Cornette Face. (Speaking of which god Rosa needs to cut that shit out.) 

So what exactly did Mox blade off of, a Sling Blade or punches? I asked in the chat and seemed to get both answers. What happened on my end was the feed didn't stop at all, it just literally cut from them being in ring to Mox covered in blood, no streaming or nothing. Very, very strange. 

This.

Thought it was off a Sling Blade or accidental clash of heads.

Edited by The Natural

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Commentary seemed to finally settle on it being from the arm-trap head kicks a few seconds earlier.

Mox is so bad at hiding when he blades that they cut away from him on the outside for a noticeable amount of time so it looked weird. I just assumed he was supposed to have cut his head on something when he got sent outside. 

Sting was awesome, but it was funny when he forgot the spot he was supposed to do with Phantasmo and got out of the ring to brawl with someone, and El P stood in the ring panicking and looking around until Sting came back in. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I hate, hate, hate the "shocked kickout" face.  My main reason is that 99% if the time, it comes after a move that has NEVER beat anyone.  Why are you shocked?  You've never won with that move.

To be fair to Osprey (and I may be remembering this wrong), didn't he do the face after this back of the head elbow move?  That is usually a finisher, so he'd actually have a reason to be shocked.

But I am 100% with you all that the face needs to go away. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Mox is so bad at hiding when he blades that they cut away from him on the outside for a noticeable amount of time so it looked weird. I just assumed he was supposed to have cut his head on something when he got sent outside. 

I don't know if it's more of a production issue or a worker thing but AEW is, in general, really bad about getting bladejobs on camera.

23 minutes ago, Log said:

I hate, hate, hate the "shocked kickout" face.  My main reason is that 99% if the time, it comes after a move that has NEVER beat anyone.  Why are you shocked?  You've never won with that move.

To be fair to Osprey (and I may be remembering this wrong), didn't he do the face after this back of the head elbow move?  That is usually a finisher, so he'd actually have a reason to be shocked.

But I am 100% with you all that the face needs to go away. 

I hate that trope as well. So overplayed in wrestling.

Ospreay did it twice: First time after the two Ozcutters and second time from the Hidden Blade. Didn't expect Orange Cassidy to kick out of that.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Sting was awesome, but it was funny when he forgot the spot he was supposed to do with Phantasmo and got out of the ring to brawl with someone, and El P stood in the ring panicking and looking around until Sting came back in. 

Forgot that. I chuckled.