DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

3 minutes ago, EVA said:

And the Go Ace chants during the last choke were pure magic and justified the match, in and of themselves.

A beautiful touch for a superstar with a body failing him in a match where it was looking ever so likely he was losing his grasp. This crowd was massive. Chicago has the best wrestling fans in the US.

I want to see a bunch of AEW's guys in NJPW once fans can start cheering again. I'll watch that gladly. I need Hiromu vs. Darby as well as Yano vs. OC in like night 4 of the G1 Climax.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Dragon said:

Womens match have been done before on NJPW shows.

I read Moxley said he would like to face CyberFight brands Wrestlers like Mutoh, Sakuraba and Akiyama.

Mox said he wanted to do a tag match against Sting and Muta, and Kingston wanted Akiyama.

I'm so happy I decided to get this show. I'm getting over covid so I figured, "Fuck it. I'll order the show and watch some wrestling here sitting in my recliner." That show blew me away. Off the recliner! Out of nowhere that became one of my favorite shows in a long time.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 4

Awesome show. All the buy-in matches were solid. Happy that they ended up giving Archer a spot on the show after all even if it was small. Swerve/Lee vs. Kanemaru/Desperado was very good. Max & Billy beat up the dojo 2 on 4. 

Glad to see FTR win the IWGP tags as that was one of the first things I hoped for when Forbidden Door was announced. Thought for sure that the All Atlantic would be Miro's, but a cool win for Pac instead. Nice showing for Clark. 

Sting dive is always great. I was surprised how decisively, clean, and relatively short that Thunder went over Toni but it was pretty good. 

Ospreay/Orange was absolutely awesome and definitely delivered. My match of the night and one of my favorites of the year. I knew Orange obviously wasn't going to win but still bought several of the near falls towards the end and I love that.

I personally prefer "Where is My Mind" for Orange's theme and felt like that's become his/best friends definitive theme, memorable playing when they're all standing tall. Tony addressed the situation in the media scrum, saying he doesn't have the rights to "Jane" yet but is about 97% there, he was surprised to read about it cause it was talked about backstage and put Sean Ross Sapp on blast for leaking it, saying "leaks are shameful and people shouldn't do it because it just ruins the surprises for people"

Shibata showing up was a cool 'oh shit' moment too. Claudio/ZSJ was great as would be expected. But ZSJ getting beat here kind of lessens the impact of any eventual Sabre/Bryan match if it still happens. Regardless, an excellent debut for Claudio and a Huge pop there.

IWGP title match was fun until the finish. Main event was good stuff and delivered to expectations. Surprising Moxley was the only blood tonight. Definitely an overall great show, glad to see it deliver. Looking forward to (potentially 6 on 6?) Blood and Guts!

As mentioned above, Moxley on the scrum was fantasy booking BCC vs Darby, Sting, and Muta. Tony said he didn't know about that, he'd have to talk to the people in the back, and said Muta's the president of NOAH. Then when Moxley brought up Kingston wanting Akiyama, Tony enthusiastically stated "now that I WILL do!", so there's hope in that regard!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't give a shit how old he is, I have a gigantic smile on my face whenever I see Sting in the ring. Or diving off balconys. Or doing other crazy old man shit. 

• Like 9

Really loved the show overall. Everyone was over AF. Eddie vs Suzuki... my goodness.

Weird finish in the IWGP Title match. I rewatched the last couple of minutes a few times and couldn't see exactly where Cole got hurt. He seemed fine on the finishing sequence but bailed on taking the Rainmaker?

I think White and Cole can play it off as having an agreement to keep the title in the Undisputed Bullet Elite Club and you can have Cole keep nagging for a shot because Jay "owes me one".

Builds into the eventual BC v UE split.

Happy for Mox too. I think his comeback, as great as it's been, has actually been undersold. Dude was on the path to self destruction and has now established himself as AEW's go to guy.

• Like 3

Great show!  I'd have found a way to grind out a no contest between Claudio and ZSJ, unless ZSJ is going to get his win back on Dynamite.

Good to see PAC win a title.  I'm guessing at some point Black will lift the belt off of him.  I am happy with Miro not winning.  The AA title is slumming it.  He really should be killing Mox and winning the World Championship in a few weeks or wrecking Samoa Joe or Jonathan Gresham for an ROH title.

How long before Young Bucks vs FTR happens again and the Bucks go 0-Whatever against Dax & Cash?  FTR must have all of the belts.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Great show!  I'd have found a way to grind out a no contest between Claudio and ZSJ, unless ZSJ is going to get his win back on Dynamite.

I can see SZJ beating Danielson in the eventual dream match, wouldn’t hurt Danielson one bit really.

• Like 2

Good times!  Great Memories!

I wonder if a show like this might ever curb the anxiety in the fans mind prior to the event.  Perhaps the build for the show isn’t everything (or maybe just not being up to snuff) in determining whether the individual decides the show itself would be worth the money.  

Dynamite has a very high standard it has aspired to and been held to in its short life.  But historically, I have watched so many WWE shows where the lead up was complete garbage but the big show ended up being pretty great.  So maybe there is something to that.

And it was really great last night.  I’m familiar with many of NJPWs roster.  There are a few I’d never seen before since I lost touch New Japan after The Elite jumped ship.  

It didn’t matter.  At all.

While I’m sure we’d all like a bunch of 1 on 1 matches.  The show that was put together more than compensated by injecting a lot of focused character and highlighting the motivation behind them even into the chaotic multi person formats.  

Finally!  “Billy Ass and the Ass Boys” makes its debut in AEW.  Now make it their permanent theme.  Gwarsenio Hall 4 life!

I love you AEW.

Edited by Brandon Bones
  • Like 6

So Blood and Guts has to end with BCC and Kingston’s crew successful, doing the TV signoff celebration and start filing out of the cage….Kingston and Claudio are the last two in the cage, Kingston rushes to re-lock the door and beat his ass to a bloody pulp while both factions try hopelessly to get back into the cage to stop it…right? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

How long before Young Bucks vs FTR happens?  FTR must have all of the belts.

At Grand Slam on 7/22, if I had to guess. They need big matches if they’re going to pack that place out again.

EDIT: Wait, was 7/22 just the on-sale date? Lol that would make a lot more sense. Thought that was going to be a mighty quick turnaround.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

I really enjoyed Swerve/Keith vs. Despy/Kanemaru. This being a Buy-In match, they ver easily could’ve just done the standard Swerve FIP into Keith hot tag match and gotten out of there, but instead they did something pretty interesting with the fake FIP on Swerve into the real FIP on Keith, which we rarely see. Really appreciated Keith’s commitment to selling in front of a big, jacked crowd where it would be understandable to want to fly around and get your shit in. Also loved how the finish let Swerve have all the shine even though Keith got the pinfall, which will surely feed into that developing heel turn, but not in the obvious way that typically gets done.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, EVA said:

At Grand Slam on 7/22, if I had to guess. They need big matches if they’re going to pack that place out again.

21st September. I think that'll be the location. If not there, All Out.

6 minutes ago, EVA said:

I really enjoyed Swerve/Keith vs. Despy/Kanemaru. This being a Buy-In match, they ver easily could’ve just done the standard Swerve FIP into Keith hot tag match and gotten out of there, but instead they did something pretty interesting with the fake FIP on Swerve into the real FIP on Keith, which we rarely see. Really appreciated Keith’s commitment to selling in front of a big, jacked crowd where it would be understandable to want to fly around and get your shit in. Also loved how the finish let Swerve have all the shine even though Keith got the pinfall, which will surely feed into that developing heel turn, but not in the obvious way that typically gets done.

PLUS!  It had the spot of the night.

• Like 8

There was a bit where Swerve and some guy on the other side were just hitting moves on each other back and forth and doing the stupid delayed selling thing, though. I do not like Strickland as a wrestler overall even if he'll have a very fun spot now and again.

43 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

So Blood and Guts has to end with BCC and Kingston’s crew successful, doing the TV signoff celebration and start filing out of the cage….Kingston and Claudio are the last two in the cage, Kingston rushes to re-lock the door and beat his ass to a bloody pulp while both factions try hopelessly to get back into the cage to stop it…right? 

That'd be a cool take on the Von Erich v Freebird War.

Edited by Wyld Samurai
  • Like 1

So Chicago is officially the pro-wrestling capital of the world right?

Only had time for two matches. Loved the shit out of Claudio and ZSJ. Zack’s stuff looks so good the crowd was biting on everything and Claudio looked a million bucks with the cuffs off. Just two great pro-wrestlers doing pro-wrestling stuff.

Oh look, it’s the flippy guy having another MOTY candidate. I finally think people are beginning to realise what an incredible worker Will Ospreay has become. He just knows how to mix the ingredients. The way the match switched into another level was masterful. Never enough to be hokey and edited perfectly to hit the climax. 

• Like 6

Tay Conti is like if Minoru Suzuki, Sofia Vergara, and Sheri Martel were one person. Sorry Sammy, behind every strong pillar there’s a stronger pillar who should be the actual pillar, or something. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, matwarz said:

So Chicago is officially the pro-wrestling capital of the world right?

I can't figure out which was cooler- the response for Shibata, the reaction to everything Okada did, or the reaction to Clark Conners directly after he went on offense after putting Miro through the table.  That was a smart, rabid crowd.

• Like 13

Seeing Suzuki on an NJPW show clarified for me that he’s actually much easier to work with in foreign companies he’s passing through than in his home promotion. He spent the opening minutes of the six man just no selling Umino’s offense on the floor, like Brody/Luger style. But then he’ll earn it when he’s in there just eating heavy hands from Kingston and barely flinching. Murder Grandpa is a prick, but he’s also a BAMF. 

• Like 2

The pop for Shibata was fucking nuts as was the pop for Okada's entrance.   Pro wrestling is so much better when it has an international feel to it.

I was just happy that Suzuki was on the winner's side of the fight purse this past weekend.  He has spent a lot of his street cred putting over AEW's guys.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 7

I'm glad everything worked out well. In a world full of politics, two wrestling promotions co-promoting a major PPV is absolutely awesome. Moxley touched on it in the post presser, but those old PWI's would put together dream WWF vs. WCW shows, but to actually follow through with something of that ilk, very impressive. Also was glad to hear Rocky Romero was a big reason for the relationship working so well. TK has no issues with giving flowers - just another reason to love that guy.

• Like 7

Well, right as Orange/Osprey was getting under way, I heard a noise coming from my basement.  It was water pouring in from the windows.  It's happened before, but supposedly the problem was fixed.  Blah blah blah, construction on a new house behind us altered the runoff and caused my back and side yard to look like a lake.  Fun.

Anyhoo, up until that point, little man and I were having a blast with this show. He's a big Death Triangle fan, so he literally jumped up when Pac won. By the time I got the basement issue settled for the night, he had to go to bed. I watched the rest of the show.

I mean, other than the IWGP 4-way finish, as everyone has noted, this was just a stellar show.  There really wasn't a single result that had me disappointed. Well, I would've like to have seen Storm win the women's title, and I think a 20-minute draw might have been best for the Claudio/ZSJ match, but neither of those finishes really bugged me.

Like many of you have pointed out, that crowd was batshit. They popped huge for lots of stuff and stayed engaged the whole show. I really think that if that "Go Ace!" chant doesn't happen in the main, the finish would've been a bit anticlimactic. Also, the pop when Sting no-sold the superkicks from YB was HUGE.  There are plenty of examples of a dead crowd ruining a show, but Chicago may have made this one.

I'm not a guy who rewatches a lot of stuff. Not just wrestling, but movies, tv shows, whatever. I can't wait to rewatch some of this show with my son this evening, though.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1