DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

Oh yeah, actual best part of the night was JR getting annoyed with Kevin Kelly's long explanation of the Ospreay-Juice situation and cutting him off with a "Why don't we talk about the wrestling we're about to see"

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

How awesome must it feel for guys who have been fighting in front of quiet Japanese Covid crowds to get reactions like this?

I forgot to write about this, and you mentioned it. I don't know how much more time Minoru Suzuki has left in his career, but he is a personal favorite. Whenever he has come over to the U.S. and gotten a big "Kaze Ni Nare" response from American crowds after mandatory years of silence over in Japan, it's a feel good moment and...I'm sure this is corny as hell...I bet he appreciates it even though it would be terribly out of character. That was probably the biggest chant he's heard in a long time, now. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Valcourt said:

Anyone know if Claudio/Kingston REALLY have heat? Or is that just silly?

I think Kingston is just great at kayfabe keeping old feuds alive. On the AEW podcast he sounded more found of him with a jab calling him like a dog in that he would tease him to get him going. But they were roommates. 
I noticed after that interview, in other interviews he’s been much more gray area in character to talk about his enemies (Cesaro, Danielson, Punk, Jericho, etc). He really creates an aura where you’re not entirely sure what is and isn’t a work. 

——

This show sounded great! I’m excited to hopefully check it out soon. What were your guys’ match of the night?

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Aside from the 4 way for the IWGP title, this was my PPV of the year. Holy shit I had a blast watching it.

I think this was my favourite aew ppv to date. Flat ending to the double main events aside I thought every match was perfect or thereabouts for what it was, with maybe the women's match being fine instead of really good/great. Emotional highs of Shibata and Claudio. Damn shame about the 4 way finish. Felt like Tanahashi needed one more hope spot before being put away. And the post match definitely didn't need to happen. Aew brawls are almost always super flat and they do too many of them. Feel like the Punk/Kingston one was the only one that felt like it had the required passion. 

This didn't have a moty classic but so fucking ridiculously consistent. I wasn't going to spend 50 on this so I vpn'd fite to get it for 20usd. ZSJ and Claudio for motn and maybe a fringe motyc. Perfect storytelling of the freak athlete being broken down but persevering. Crowd was tiring by that point but they were there when it mattered and aside from whatever shenanigans was going down on the hardcam side in the corner during the main they were super respectful. Savvy crowd knowing not to blow their load on the first two matches like recent ppv crowds. 

• Like 4

I think the Orange Cassidy vs Will Ospreay match was the best of the night.  There were several TRULY awesome matches but that one was fucking awesome.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Mox busted open! Forbidden blood and Gore!

Oooo, didn't think about NJ's blood ban. And here I was thinking "wonder how they feel about a woman's match on an NJ show". 

Shingo was also super over, and even Connors got over by the end of that match. Missed the entrance due to the streaming but it sounded like enough people knew who Shibata was and how special his appearance was too? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, eikerir said:

Best decision they could have made was Jay pinning Okada after the Blade Runner but it all happened so fast that I don’t blame them. There’s only so much you can decide in those last 10 seconds.

I would assume they purposely avoided Okada taking the pin when laying out the match. Politics and what not. AEW didn't want Hangman to lose. NJPW didn't want Okada to lose. So everyone was happy with Cole losing. Had Jay White pinned Okada instead in that moment he would have been in the dog house. Unless the situation with Cole was super serious. Something borderline catastrophic would have had to happen for there to be no heat on him pinning someone he wasn't booked to pin.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

There's this little thing in yr profile where it tells you that you "Won the Day" with the most likes and image/tweet spamming is the only viable strategy. We are slaves to others playing this strange game's meta.

May 29th was the greatest day of my life.

—-

We are one step closer to Da Party on AEW.

Edited by Octopus

33 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Cole was probably really messed up so... gets a pass from me.  Layout was GOOD but then that happened.  Shrug. 

It was perfectly fine but even before the Cole injury, I felt like I knew what was going to happen throughout the match. It was just a decent professional wrestling match. Every other match took me on a ride.

Akiyama agreed to fight Kingston. Book that shit, cowards!

El Phantasmo is the third Young Buck. Sorry, Malachi. The douchebag aura emanating from those three was off the charts and they were trying to out-douchebag each other. I want to see him work with Matt & Nick always and forever. Omega should go face on his return and El P should be the third man for the trios titles. Jesus Christ. I've seen him a bunch in Vancouver, along with Darby, so it was super neat to see those two tearing it up with each other and El P doing a nipple spot (apparently the only thing he wanted to contribute to the planning of that match, lol. It was probably the most over spot of the match). 

edit: I am also thankful Claudio's theme song rocks after that turd he had to sport in WWE after they took away the 007 Malenko theme.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 3

I am not a fan of Ospreay, but as Kenny observed this week, he has all the tools to be great, and when he’s in there with somebody who can point them in the right direction (like Dax last week and OC tonight), you can get something great out of him. OC’s character work really helped ground the match, and the way he kept working for his satellite DDT and then paid it off with the extra-nutty quebrada version was a thing of beauty.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

There's this little thing in yr profile where it tells you that you "Won the Day" with the most likes and image/tweet spamming is the only viable strategy. We are slaves to others playing this strange game's meta.

And since this is now my negativity post, Shingo looked heavy and the only guy who didn't maximize his screen time was El Phantasmo. But I forgot to mention the glory of PAC surviving Game Over so I'll close with that.

I would complain about never winning the day, but I know my role is a JTTS ?

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

The douchebag aura emanating from those three was off the charts and they were trying to out-douchebag each other.

My comment in the chat after El-P's fakeout whatever in the corner was that Cornette's heart finally exploded. "Twas Bucks, not Wendy's, that blew up the savage breast."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I really enjoyed the layout of Claudio/ZSJ, especially the loooong shine for Claudio at the beginning, with ZSJ just getting trucked and going to the apron over and over until he finally got the right opportunity to grab hold of something and then he wouldn’t let it go. ZSJ does that desperation, “I’ll work any limb I can get my hands on” grappling and cumulative damage psychology better than anybody.

I kinda feel like Claudio needs to add one or two more high-end moves to his arsenal to work at this level outside WWE, though. I guess the Neutralizer could be one of them since he burnt it early here and he brought out the Ricola Bomb for the finish.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

I kinda feel like Claudio needs to add one or two more high-end moves to his arsenal to work at this level outside WWE, though. I guess the Neutralizer could be one of them since he burnt it early here and he brought out the Ricola Bomb for the finish.

UFO & Alpamare Waterslide.

• Like 3

Privileged to be there live, as New Japan and later AEW (along with pre AEW NXT) rekindled my love of pro wrestling. Even with New Japan's quality suffering post-pandemic, their stars are still damn good when treated well, so hopefully they'll hit a resurgence with crowds coming back.

Third AEW show I've been to live (All Out and Full Gear last year), and they've all been classic for different reasons. I'd agree that there wasn't a surefire MOTYC candidate, but basically all of the matches hit in one way or another (and I really dug the IWGP four match before the necessary abrupt finish). Very happy for Claudio to be the mystery guy (even if wasn't a shock), as he just belongs in AEW. Looking forward to having New Japan guys popping in more frequently in the future, and AEW may actually make the two night Wrestle Kingdom concept actually work.

• Like 4

I do agree that one more near fall or something for Tanahashi at the end would’ve put the main event over the top, but putting over Mox definitively is the New Japan way and definitely the right call for AEW’s business, so I can’t complain too much. And the Go Ace chants during the last choke were pure magic and justified the match, in and of themselves.

The crowd reaction to Tana is why he’s going to be a top star for New Japan until he turns to dust. No matter how badly his body has degenerated, he just has that certain something that can make crowds care about him.

• Like 6