DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Fightful sent out an update that is 99% positive a spoiler for the mystery man. So, if you're wanting to go in untainted, maybe avoid social media until after the show.

I would certainly hope nobody on here would post it. Not even in a spoiler box because most of us do not have restraint. 

Holy smokes, THEY GOT ROADDOG?!?!?!

8 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Holy smokes, THEY GOT ROADDOG?!?!?!

Been watching TNA weekly PPVs while working out again the past week. Good Lord, Road Dogg looked dreadful in 2002. Truth was great, as was Jarrett. Lawler, despite being super fucked up, was so solid too. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Been watching TNA weekly PPVs while working out again the past week. Good Lord, Road Dogg looked dreadful in 2002. Truth was great, as was Jarrett. Lawler, despite being super fucked up, was so solid too. 

He’s due for an upswing. 

Bring in ROADDOG to lead a Rock faction and Sean Waltman to lead a Paper Stable and you’ll have all the tools for the greatest feud of all time going against Billy Gunn’s Scissors Group.

There is a banner for All Out 2022 hanging in the United Center, so I guess they're going to keep Chicago as the host of All Out. Heads up, @Craig H for the future.

I was kind of hoping for their Canadian debut to be All Out, but whatever I guess.

In case anybody's on the fence about getting this, and at the risk of commenting on a live event, this crowd seems fuckin STOKED and are marking out for Yoshi Hashi... So methinks this is gonna be a memorable night!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

In case anybody's on the fence about getting this, and at the risk of commenting on a live event, this crowd seems fuckin STOKED and are marking out for Yoshi Hashi... So methinks this is gonna be a memorable night!

Yeah I don't wanna contibute to discussing an active show but the crowd is here for this + theories about the talent being extra motivated may prove true.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

I would have given you a 'thanks' trophy if you had also covered the pre-show.

Pretty much agree with all of your predictions, but I am holding on to my longshot call that Substitute Dragon will be someone lesser known but awesome enough to win the crowd over by the end of the ZSJ match. Or Sibata. It won't be Shibata. But imagine Shibata in Blackpool Combat Club.

Next time, I got you.

• Like 1

Wait I saw that this PPV is on New Japan World.   Is this like the other US shows where it is only live for Japanese viewers and then available for members days later?

By the way if you are calling your team like Jordan and Pippen, isn't that insulting to half of your team 

Edited by hammerva

Allright!  Hirooki Goto on my TV set!  Aaron Solo is in over his head!   QT Marshall is a HEAT MACHINE!  CLUBBERING!  MORE CLUBBERING!  Aaron Solo gets in some offense!  The Factory is so awesome.  Goto hits a SWEET lariat!  Solo with a great Tope Con Hilo!  This match is fun!  Yoshi-Hashi makes the hot tag!  Goto gets the pin!  Chicago seems ready for some wrestling.  And there will be LOT more.   Nick Comoroto vs Lance Archer!  This is the best episode if Elevation EVER!  HOSS BATTLE!  Lance crushes his skull getting in the ring.  Nick on offense!  The Factory are so over as heels.  This is GREAT hoss battle!  Lance Archer with a DIE HARD KANSAI!  Almost.  Chicago is molten for wrestling.  Awesome!  El Desperado!  Shane Strickland!  Keith Lee!  KANEMARU!  Has he ever wrestled in America?  Strickland and Despy are a match up I'm looking forward to.  And they are fucking GREAT together.  Keith Lee is fucking awesome being a total HOSS while also selling the knee.  GREAT fucking BRAINBUSTER by Strickland.  NICE SPINEBUSTER by Despy!  Yeah, Strickland and Desperado need to have a best of 7.  Oh man, this match is fucking great. So FUCKING GREAT. What a fucking match!  Desperado is a MAN. ASS BOYS!  TOKYO DOME! GREEN BAY!  THE ASS BOYS THEME!  Alex Coughlin is a beast.  The Ass Boys disappear and don't return?  That was an odd match to follow the fucking AWESOME Kanemaru/El Desperado vs Lee/Strickland.  The best episode of Elevation EVER!

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Matt D said:

What is your profession? 

I am an archaeologist (official title is Lead Archaeologist/Principal Investigator) for a national Enviromental Consulting firm. We do pre-construction assessment and clearance work for projects that have regulatory compliance requirements with local, state, and federal laws. Things like roads, utility infrastructure, most large energy projects (solar and wind farms, for example) because they are either funded by state and federal money, occur on public lands, or require permits for impacts to things like Waters of the United States, protected wetlands, or endangered species habitat. I’ve been at this for over 18 years, split between private sector and public sector (state of Texas agency).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Watched the first half of the show, and I'm gonna practice what I've preached on here before and watch the second half of it tomorrow on my own schedule, so that I won't be a zombie at work.

So if we're allowed to talk about the Buy-In, I loved Despy & Kanemaru breaking down Keith Lee and trying to keep him out of the match. Like it was more than just the typical  formula of "isolate Swerve and don't let him make a tag", they wrecked Lee's knee and cut him off whenever he tried to get in the ring for any reason. And then eventually it all fell apart for them in spectacular fashion.

Goto really overdelivered in some of his earlier US appearances on ROH shows. I'm thinking of these strangely great matches he had with Beer City Bruiser and with Punishment Martinez. His match tonight wasn't quite up to the standards of those ones, but still pretty decent.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Octopus said:

He’s due for an upswing. 

Bring in ROADDOG to lead a Rock faction and Sean Waltman to lead a Paper Stable and you’ll have all the tools for the greatest feud of all time going against Billy Gunn’s Scissors Group.

i was sure this was headed for a SID reference.

• Like 1

What a go home show for Blood and Guts.

What I love about Mox is that he’ll grapple with his opponent, he’ll brawl with them of course, but when it’s gut check time he’s going to turn it into the fight on the lawn from Lethal Weapon. Go Ace. 

Some takeaways from the night:

Acclaimed/Ass Boys getting some of the biggest entrance pops around, you love to see it.

JAS/Suzuki vs Eddie/Shooter/Yuta

Speaking of being over,  Everyone is this match is crazy over in different ways, it’s so great seeing the crowd react to everyone. 

Wild match all around and and extremely hot opener, can’t ask for anything more. This might have been the match of the night just from the sheer energy all around.

All Atlantic Title Match

Lmao at Black setting that table on top of some kid. Connors was getting his ass kicked but getting bigger and bigger reactions as the match went on which must have felt awesome.

Holy shit I marked out at that ending, PAC WINS! Fuck yeah, talk about a guy that has deserved something for ages.

IWGP Title Match

Great match but what the hell was up with that finish? Seems like at least one move was missed in that sequence.  Looked like Okada was knocked loopy but then suddenly Cole got really fucked up right before the ending. Bad note to end an otherwise good match. Hangman looked pretty awesome tonight.

Main Event

This wasn’t doing much for me until Mox started bleeding and then it became pretty brutal for he last few minutes.

Love that Kingston and Claudio are already spitting at each other’s faces.

• Like 3

Now we know why the door was forbidden. Sucks that the semi-main had to go home early due to Cole being knocked loopy.

You know what? Three riots in a week (plus a fourth on Wednesday in Blood and Guts), is a bit much, but, as long as they let it rest for a while afterwards...

You know what? Never mind. Just have Justin Roberts say something like "This is Blood and..." and Kingston and Jericho burst through the tunnels and start fighting which brings all of the other members of the teams down to ring, and have security herd them into the caged area just so they don't go fighting into the crowd. Never mind the traditional rules of war games-style matches.

AEW's Slogan:

Fight Then.

Fight Now.

Fight Forever.

• Like 2

BCC bringing in Claudio to sub for Bryan is the perfect "Fuck you" to Kingston for not caring about lighting Danielson on fire as collateral is good storytelling.

The end to the IWGP match has to be an audible, Cole looked fucked up big time.

Went into the PPV with lower expectations given all the injuries but it ended up being well worth the money! Really great show. 

Even the Buy In was great stuff. Crowd was hyped all night.. 

Could have done without the Dynamite ending with all the run ins I get they are trying to sell Blood and Guts but let's let some shit breathe Tony lol. 

Loved the pacing of the show. Loved Claudio vs. ZSJ as that as the technical mat based match really broke up all the action nicely. 

The nearly 4 hours did not drag at all. AEW x NJPW found a sweet spot where everything got enough time but nothing really overstayed its welcome. 

SHIBATA!!!

• Like 4