DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

There's definite intrigue around this show, and I know it'll be a blast experiencing it live. However, I feel like this show falls into the category of watching it just to watch it for me, which is how I feel about most WWE PLEs that I watch. 

I think it’s worth keeping in mind that most of the Japanese talent hasn’t been able to work in front of big crowds that can actually cheer in two years. They’re going to be highly motivated to put on a show, so I think even the more seemingly tossed together matches are going to have a high level of work. Nobody’s dogging it in an undercard tag tomorrow night.

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, EVA said:

I think it’s worth keeping in mind that most of the Japanese talent hasn’t been able to work in front of big crowds that can actually cheer in two years. They’re going to be highly motivated to put on a show, so I think even the more seemingly tossed together matches are going to have a high level of work. Nobody’s dogging it in an undercard tag tomorrow night.

For real, I think no matter what we're going to have a show that's mostly bangers even if the build-up wasn't to people's desires. Expectations are the death of enjoyment, so I'm just going to sit back and expect a whole lot of fucking great wrestling.

• Like 4

Not sure if posted already, the curse strikes again:

Hiromu Takahashi has a fever and can’t travel to America to compete at Forbidden Door. The match will now be a trios match with #BulletClub (w/ #HikuLeo in their corner) vs #DudesWithAttitudes (#Sting, #DarbyAllin & #TakagiShingo)

25-EBFA80-1-ED8-4778-9-B10-1-CEBB24-C2-D

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

They're also going to be putting in work because this is the biggest exposure they could ever hope to have. They need to get eyeballs on their product.

Misc thoughts:

Match graphics team putting in the biggest shift of their lives to keep up to date with this event.

That Bucks tag was the match I was most looking forward to. Sad face.

But! Nothing is going to shake my appreciation for this show existing. Having Tony orchestrating this is like Sakurai running Smash Bros - it's a miracle to have someone who's probably a bigger dork than you are at the top calling the shots. As a result everyone coming in is going to be treated with respect and we get a huge profile event for maximum fanservice. Fanservice for US. I remember Okada in TNA, ffs.

The countdown show had a lot of things people here said were missing from the main shows. Including a set of promos from Mox and Tana that I loved, a quote from which is on the last page. Hiroshi 'I created the forbidden door' Tanahashi against Jon 'I am the forbidden door' Moxley is good hype. Turns the replacement main event into the natural main event.

A shame a few of the NJPW wrestlers didn't have a voice in the build up, even if only via quotes mentioned on commentary. I understand that you don't want to be having a subs or dubs debate about your primetime American wrasslin show, but that's not an issue when you've got ZSJ on the ramp.

If they're hyping ZSJ v Bryan down the line as a match to determine the best technical wrestler in the world, and they're specifically promoting this match as being a technical one then Zack should be winning. Could any big name like Claudio job on their BCC/AEW debut to a departing opponent?

Tana as intirim AEW champ wouldn't be without its appeal, but I don't think it's happening unless it was the plan for Punk to drop in the first place.

Kevin Kelly will be on the commentary team, calming my nerves about the 'explain who all these Japanese dudes are' problem.

I keep hearing that Naito doesn't care about American wrestling, though that doesn't explain his absence from this card as he has flown over before. I remember a press conference with CM Punk answering to the idea of facing NJPW wrestlers without the enthusiasm you get from some others (paraphrasing 'If Tony wants me to do it, I'll do it'). So on the basis of that alone in my head canon he is AEW's Naito equivalent. Fitted well when on the Tanahashi debut he was all 'Ok we've got a pay per view to sell, who have I got?'

I'm sure Connors will do fine, and I agree that he should be Ishii's replacement but the result is that the match no longer feels like it has any real NJPW presence.

Great spot on Okada's throwback to the NOAH show build. 100% deliberate. He's pumped!

I'm sure the relationship between the companies will continue, but no idea if it will retain this format. The big upside to all these absentees is that even if they were only planning this as a one-off there's enough left on the table to do an encore. That injury list is your list of reasons to tune in next time. People wondering why this is cursed when we all know the door they're passing through is forbidden. Things will be better on 2024's AEW and NJPW joint 'Door' PPV.

• Like 3

The original card got cursed, I've been listening to a bit of interviews and podcasts hyping this show since I haven't really been keeping up with AEW so closely but it's still going to be interesting how this card turns out. Plus this is where all this added talent AEW has been signing come into handy. Hopefully next year I'll be in a better financial situation and not to buy to where I can watch AEW more consistently and occasionally buy a PPV. I was hugely in to New Japan before the shutdown but I haven't resubscribed to New Japan World since they started back up and you got the Gaijin touring again so I'm thinking about getting back in to NJPW. AEW haven't really handled the relationship well enough yet for me to get excited but I do expect it to get better as guys from both promotions get more comfortable traveling back and forth again. This card still has the potential to be good because even with the original line up it seemed to be built up strictly based on the match up and not so much on angles or programs.

Edited by Ziggy

7 hours ago, eikerir said:

Not sure if posted already, the curse strikes again:

Hiromu Takahashi has a fever and can’t travel to America to compete at Forbidden Door. The match will now be a trios match with #BulletClub (w/ #HikuLeo in their corner) vs #DudesWithAttitudes (#Sting, #DarbyAllin & #TakagiShingo)

25-EBFA80-1-ED8-4778-9-B10-1-CEBB24-C2-D

I am kinda sad, now.

Guys, I just came up with a great idea: Show opens up with Danhausen coming out to the ring and apologizing for accidentally cursing the show and then announcing he is now uncursing it and now everyone can enjoy the show.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

I get how some people may not be interested in the card because it might have had some uneven storytelling leading up to it.

But the way I see it...there has really never been a PPV card like this. A company has never had to build to a PPV like this before. 

Yes, AEW has introduced alot of NJPW talent over the past few weeks on American cable tv. Those introductions were to i) build to the PPV and ii) introduce them as long term characters in the "AEW Galaxy". I think the potential high quality card we're going to get on Sunday (especially considering NJPW talents haven't really worked in front of hot vocal crowds in 2 years for the most part) will offset whatever shortcomings there were in the storytelling leading up to the card.

I'm super pumped for what we are going to get to watch on Sunday night, and what the success of the card will do to future AEW/NJPW co-promotions.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

So two four ways, a three way tag, 2 trios, and an eight man tag. This kinda has the feel of one of those "get everyone on the card" wrestlemanias

It’s very NJPW too, I would have just made the IGWP title match a straight up one on one between any of the three that are not Cole so it would stand out more from the shit load of multi man matches.

• Like 3

Is there a shot at Bray being the mystery guy? He has a history with both Mox and Danielson. Could still lead to Cesaro showing up in a different aspect. TK has fooled us before. 

Granted there is no bigger clash in styles than Bray and ZSJ but anything is possible

17 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

On Friday’s B & V show, Alvarez went went down the whole card and explained that all but the women’s match had changed from what had been originally booked.  Wow.

How would they know what was originally booked? Rumour and innuendo?

So I’m getting this show because fuck this week.

I’m at a child’s birthday party at a black light mini golf place at 10:00 am. My wife forgot to tell me my daughter was invited to the party until 9:32 am, so as a make good she’s keeping the kids busy tonight while I veg out in front of the 75 incher.

I’m very annoyed being here right now, but if I wasn’t I would have never seen this enormous piece of black light art depicting Tony Chimel doing ring intros for a match between Buddy Rogers and Ali.

Spoiler

35418-A94-E707-412-E-9-A29-90-CF2181-FD1

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

So I’m getting this show because fuck this week.

I’m at a child’s birthday party at a black light mini golf place at 10:00 am. My wife forgot to tell me my daughter was invited to the party until 9:32 am, so as a make good she’s keeping the kids busy tonight while I veg out in front of the 75 incher.

I’m very annoyed being here right now, but if I wasn’t I would have never seen this enormous piece of black light art depicting Tony Chimel doing ring intros for a match between Buddy Rogers and Ali.

Hide contents

35418-A94-E707-412-E-9-A29-90-CF2181-FD1

Don't watch it. Buddy Rogers flops on his back and tries to catch Ali in a figure-four for fifteen rounds.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Ordered this show because fuck this date. The fucking worst of my life losing my much missed Mum eight years ago. "What's Going On?" is locked so I can only say this here. Today's been really fucking bad. Fuck.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 17
  • Sad 1

I have to be up for fieldwork at 6:30 tomorrow (this project requires someone with my level of experience to assess any documented archaeological sites, and the person who would normally do it is still recuperating from foot surgery). I don’t mind, there is a “cold front” moving in so tomorrow’s high is only 96, and there is a chance of rain starting in the afternoon so I have motivation to be efficient.

I might well order it Monday or Tuesday night depending on the reviews.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I have to be up for fieldwork at 6:30 tomorrow (this project requires someone with my level of experience to assess any documented archaeological sites, and the person who would normally do it is still recuperating from foot surgery). I don’t mind, there is a “cold front” moving in so tomorrow’s high is only 96, and there is a chance of rain starting in the afternoon so I have motivation to be efficient.

I might well order it Monday or Tuesday night depending on the reviews.

What is your profession?