DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

In that SRS interview, Omega said his return to backstage work last month during the tournament was not a good idea, as it threw off his rehab routine. He made it sound like he wouldn't be at Forbidden Door. Maybe that was a work (brother) maybe it was not. 

• Like 2

Maybe I'm the mythical casual fan, because I don't watch much New Japan. And I'll tell you what. The way they played up Tanahashi on Dynamite Wednesday and on this countdown thing tonight does not jive with the guy I saw team with Mox, who looked about as mobile as 2005 Hulk Hogan.

• Like 2

plus Hirooki Goto & Yoshihashi vs. QT & Aaron Solo, so Revolution style 3 match buy in then 9 match main show.

I like Kanemaru, but seems extra weird now that Archer is left off completely, considering Desperado came in with Archer for the attack 2 weeks ago and he would've fit the dynamic here vs. Keith & Swerve

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

fuck it, i'll just say it.

i don't care about this event. the build has been terrible (i get some of that was due to injuries, but still....)  i don't know damn near any of the NJPW guys (is this a "me problem" like it was with Suzuki? and Takeshita? and all of the other one-and-dones?) there's not a single match that feels "must see". too many multi-man matches.

i'll probably watch nefariously next week sometime, but meh. hope AEW gets interesting again after this show is over.

28 minutes ago, twiztor said:

(is this a "me problem" like it was with Suzuki? and Takeshita? .

Don't think it's specifically a twiztor problem. Don't think you are alone in not much caring.

On the other hand, it is definitely not a Gordlow problem. I'm like a kid before Christmas here. I am downright giddy. 

Can't wait to learn who the Substitute Dragon is going to be. Really have no idea who will walk away as interim champion. I am just as stoked as can be for Okada, Shingo, Hiromu, Cobb etc etc on an AEW show. I know who all those dudes are. I like watching all of those dudes fight. They are all really really good, in my opinion.

I'm stoked to see Lee yeet Despy! 

I'm worried I'll burn through all my popcorn before the pre-show is finished, because I am too worked up about Factory guys facing New Japan guys.

I hope we get two or three cross-promotional shows every year. 

I really really really want at least one more, when Bryan and Kenny and Punk and Naito are all healthy enough to fight.

tl/dr: the build worked on me, and I am loving every minute of this.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 4

This is gonna sound weird, but I figured they'd build this show up LESS than they actually have. I saw it as a bonus PPV for the diehards, and thought AEW TV  would have some token references in the preceding weeks, while still telling mostly their own stories. Why spend all this time on promoting another company's wrestlers when most of them won't be seen again, and the rest not very often? Even if Tanahashi wins the the interim belt, that only lasts a couple/few months before Punk wins it back. I dunno.

The lineup changes totally knocked it down a peg for me and there was a big deflation seeing all those multi-mans pop up tonight but reading that card, on paper, it looks like it could be solid enough. I'd say five matches would be worth watching, for me. 

On 6/23/2022 at 7:30 PM, Blue Dragon said:

Since Pro Wrestling Kayfabe overrides reality, China and Japan are now part of the Atlantic. Enjoy.

All-Atlantic-Championship-AEW-.jpg

I think the confusion is the difference between the Atlantic and the All-Atlantic. Which I guess is just all the oceans and also the Atlantic.

• Like 1

Tom Lawlor's a troll though, right? Plus, I couldn't help noticing the generic 'Wrestler X' silhouette here has hair, when they're usually bald, almost like someone's trying too hard to throw us off the scent. It has to be Claudio.

Edited by SturmCRF
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

Tom Lawlor's a troll though, right? Plus, I couldn't help noticing the generic 'Wrestler X' silhouette here has hair, when they're usually bald, almost like someone's trying too hard to throw us off the scent. It has to be Claudio.

I think Tom Lawlor's was teasing for fun. Has to be Claudio Castagnoli, anybody else would be a letdown and I like Tom Lawlor/Timothy Thatcher. Feel sorry for the fucker who isn't Claudio.

Edited by The Natural

There is absolutely a chance Tanahashi wins, since TK has mentioned that he likes the idea of having people like Punk and Tanahashi in the title’s lineage years from now since their names add value.

Also: Timothy Thatcher absolutely isn’t going to be the mystery guy. I know NOAH did a joint Dome show with them this year, and they have a quasi relationship with AEW through being a part of Cyberfight, but I don’t think that’s in the cards.

But sign me up for an eventual Cyberfight/AEW/NJPW supercard. That would be wild.

• Like 2

I think we've got the whole card now, so 

Assclaimed vs LA Dojo

They have struck unexpected gold with this Acclaimed/Billy/Ass Boys team-up. Something straight up entertaining and goofy that damned near everybody seems to enjoy. The entrance rap and "scissor me daddy"spot will pop the crowd. A guaranteed fun opener.

QT & Solo vs Goto & Yoshi-Hashi

This could be sneaky good, because QT can really heel it up, stooge, and tell a story in the ring. One for those of us who love the YouTube shows.

Swerve in our Glory vs Despy & Kanemaru

Weird that Archer isn't in the match, but all 4 of these guys have been on a hot streak of fun matches recently and Lee yeeting Desperado and/or Kanemaru is going to be sick.

Main Card

Mox vs Tana

I have absolute faith in Mox to bust his ass to make this main event match worthy of its spot on the card. There is a real.chance that The Ace might win this one, so I am going to be on tenterhooks for the entire match, buying into every nearfall. I love when that happens. I love when I care who wins and who loses and really don't know who it is going to be.

Jay vs Okada vs Hangman vs Cole

It's Okada in AEW. That's good enough for me. Hopefully we'll get Punk vs Okada, Punk vs Jay, Hangman vs Okada, Hangman vs Jay, Bryan vs Okada, Bryan vs Jay... and Kingston, and Miro, and Darby and etc etc vs Okada, Jay, Shingo, Naito, and etc etc at some point. But I am in "the glass is half full" mode and don't want to spoil Okada in AEW by worrying about what we are not getting this time. And this match is going to be awesome.

PAC vs Malakai vs Miro vs Conners

Yeah, I'm bummed out that Ishii hurt his knee. 

Did you know Clark Conners was trained by (Nick Wayne's dad) Buddy Wayne? Here's hoping he makes the most of this opportunity. 

I'm really hoping for a Miro win, which will make the near-falls and false finishes that much more exciting. Also, it is likely that this match will be harrowingly stiff and that bombs will be thrown. I like both of those things.

Le Sex Gods vs Mad King, Wheeler, and Shooter

Why is MiSu teaming with Jericho & Sammy? Because he is also a sex god. I just figured that out now. Kingston has us all champing at the bit for him to get his hands on Jericho. Presumably he'll be frustrated here but finally get revenge at Blood and Guts. 

Every possible match-up here is pretty great. Particularly Suzuki vs Yuta and vs Umino. And whatever happens between The Wiizard and The Mad King will be hot as hell.

Ospreay vs Freshly Squeezed

Personally, I hope they shoot for a "fun" match rather than a "great" match. They are capable of both, in my opinion. Also in my opinion: "Great" matches are a dime a dozen these days. Look at @DEAN's poll threads or the ever-growing "great matches of 2022" list, for proof, if any is needed. If these guys shoot for maximum fun, it could really be something exceptional . 

Not that I'll complain if they go.for greatness, or if they just beat the hell out of each other.  I am merely expressing a personal preference.?

FTR (ROH) vs Khan on the Cobb (IWGP) vs RPG (Champions of my Heart)

Oh boy did I love Cobb vs Cash. More of that, please and thank you. Also, really pulling for an FTR win even though Cobb is one of my absolute favourite current pro wrestlers, and I love Roppongi Vice, and Great O-Khan is a real life hero. 

Thunder Rosa vs Tony Storm

I am pulling for a Storm win here even more than I am pulling for FTR or Miro. Storm has transformed the women's division in AEW. Everyone has started hitting harder since she raised the bar. I'd love to see her as champ. 

Bizz Clizz (Nick Matt Hikuleo and El-P) vs los Stingobernables

Shingo and Hiromu in AEW!! Hiromu and Phantasmo and Darby and Matt and Nick all trying to one-up each other! Phantasmo and the Bux hamming it up and heeling it up! Sting doing something inadvisable! This will be (literally) too much fun.

ZSJ vs TBA

I love not knowing stuff! Surprises can be a lot of fun. Claudio would be great, no doubt. But there are a lot of guys who would be really good in this kind of technical match and also violent enough for Blood and Guts and also a great fit in the Blackpool Combat Club. If it ends up being Nick Wayne or Thatcher or Gresham or Tom Lawlor or someone completely unexpected, please don't immediately get mad because it isn't Claudio. Unless maybe it's Gargano. ? If it is Claudio, though, let's all mark out like idiots.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

There's definite intrigue around this show, and I know it'll be a blast experiencing it live. However, I feel like this show falls into the category of watching it just to watch it for me, which is how I feel about most WWE PLEs that I watch. 

I think it’s worth keeping in mind that most of the Japanese talent hasn’t been able to work in front of big crowds that can actually cheer in two years. They’re going to be highly motivated to put on a show, so I think even the more seemingly tossed together matches are going to have a high level of work. Nobody’s dogging it in an undercard tag tomorrow night.

• Like 10