DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

30 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Hear me out, guys…what if the All Atlantic title is a work, Ishii wins it, and defends it 90% of the time in Japan as the AEW belt meant to be defended abroad?

I've actually wondered if this belt is going to be AEW version of the IWGP US belt

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Nothing against Clark Connors, but that sucks.

and why Clark Connors? Why not a star, like Naito or SANADA?

Gotta keep some of the stars in Japan for the shows in Japan.

That being said, why not Tom Lawlor?

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Nothing against Clark Connors, but that sucks.

and why Clark Connors? Why not a star, like Naito or SANADA?

Because Ishii beat Connors to get into the 4-way.

• Like 2

Everyone pontificating about the title being meant to be defended abroad are forgetting one thing...

It's still geographically inaccurate. Even if that is the plan (and hey, it might be) the name of the title is a big strike against it for me. I'm sure eventually that annoyance will go away for me. But people just kind of trying to downplay it as a title being out there in the ether.... regardless... it's still inaccurately named. So that talking point doesn't help me be less annoyed by it.

I've never seen Clark work. But the other three are top tier talents. Its gonna be good even if Clark sucks. But I would assume if NJPW is putting him in this spot he's at least solid or better.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, porksweats said:

I just had the thought that Tom Lawlor could be Bryan's replacement, and he recently bled with MOX so he meets the requirements for BCC

45 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

They don't have better wrestlers under contract who can already do that?

Who would you have dropping these falls?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Everyone pontificating about the title being meant to be defended abroad are forgetting one thing...

It's still geographically inaccurate. Even if that is the plan (and hey, it might be) the name of the title is a big strike against it for me. I'm sure eventually that annoyance will go away for me. But people just kind of trying to downplay it as a title being out there in the ether.... regardless... it's still inaccurately named. So that talking point doesn't help me be less annoyed by it.

So much of wrestling hyperbole is bullshit thought, every night wasn't the greatest night in history of our sport, Andre wasn't 700lbs, 93000 weren't in the skydome ect. I can handle a miss named title

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Predictions - 

Ass-claimed win the Buy In.
Bullet Club over DwA
Claudio def ZSJ
Thunder Rosa retains (although I would go crazy for a Storm upset!)
FTR win it all, turning their sights to the Young Bucks for ALL THE TITLES!!!
Jericho/Guevara/Suzuki cheat to win before BLOOD & GUTS
Ospreay retains
Miro wins the AA Title, pinning Pac.
Okada wins the IWGP Title, pinning Cole, pissing off Jay White and starting the Club/Era implosion.
Tanahashi becomes the Interim AEW Champion.

On the surface Moxley feels like an obvious winner but I think that TK would love to have Tanahashi's name in the lineage of the AEW Title. If Punk can get even half healthy by September for All Out (in CHICAGO) then that's where you unify the belts. Worst case that's where Tanahashi drops it to Hangman to set up the rematch with Punk where the question will be asked "Will Hangman cheat this time?"

If you can't get Tanahashi to defend the belt in the US twice between now and September then you send someone to Japan to beat him and bring it back.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I've never seen Clark work. But the other three are top tier talents. Its gonna be good even if Clark sucks. But I would assume if NJPW is putting him in this spot he's at least solid or better.

Just think of Atlantic as an acronym:

All

The 

Lands

And 

Nebulas

That

Include(d)

Volcanoes 

According to google, there are no active volcanoes in the UK BUT 55 million years ago there was one. And with a company that has a dinosaur in it, it’s fair to count that.

EDIT; FUCK. Why did I type V?!?!?!

Ok, Cave. Let’s say Cave. Fuck.

EDIT 2: I even looked up volcano facts for this. God damn it.

EDIT 3: Doubling down. Make Ishii the All-Atlantiv champ. Book it, Tony.

Edited by Octopus
Drinking maybe
  • Haha 13

3 hours ago, porksweats said:

uh New Japan's next show is like July 3rd or something.

30 minutes ago, blitzkrieg said:

I enjoy Clark Connors making into the Four Way after calling it the Mid-Atlantic Title or "Whatever AEW is calling it."

whatever they may be calling it, all that matters is that we be calling him champion by the end of the night

• Like 1

Hmmm, I guess this is where I mention that the Ishii-Connors qualifying match from New Japan's last Korakuen show is one of my sleeper matches of the year.  I strongly encourage you to watch it if you can.  

I will now slink away quietly.

• Like 7

Wow, good call, Tom Lawlor is actually a perfect choice for the role of a guy who can hang with ZSJ and get, shall we say, "Filthy", in Blood and Guts.  I'm still leaning towards Cesaro, but after that, it's now Lawlor in second place, and a chasm between those two and the rest.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

I just had the thought that Tom Lawlor could be Bryan's replacement, and he recently bled with MOX so he meets the requirements for BCC

Who would you have dropping these falls?

Kiera Hogan.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

It's still geographically inaccurate. Even if that is the plan (and hey, it might be) the name of the title is a big strike against it for me. I'm sure eventually that annoyance will go away for me.

No no, you see, the champion will be defending the honor of The Atlantic Region against those in the Pacific Region who would wish to knock the entire area between Newfoundland and the tip of Argentina, including the Falkland Islands, down a peg.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Kiera Hogan.

You already had Red Velvet as the fall dropper for the Baddies, can't have both members visually lose each week (yes Hogan lost to Athena this week but Velvet is out now). 

That's my logic for why you wouldn't want her in the matches in lieu of Shafir but that doesn't mean I don't think those matches would be worse with Hogan, I'd love to see those run back with Hogan instead Vile.

• Like 1

Since The PPV is in Chicago (and at The United Center) I expect Punk will make an appearance. Nothing major. Just a promo saying he wished he could wrestle. Or awarding the interim title to the winner or something. Now I'm really interested to see what kind of t-shirt he wears if he does show up.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Since The PPV is in Chicago (and at The United Center) I expect Punk will make an appearance. Nothing major. Just a promo saying he wished he could wrestle. Or awarding the interim title to the winner or something. Now I'm really interested to see what kind of t-shirt he wears if he does show up.

I'm honestly surprised that Omega hasn't made any sort of appearance at all, so maybe he'll be there too...maybe surrounding the COle-Page-Okada-White match