DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

I'll catch Storm vs Rosa, and then out of the Monday SC obligation, the Darby and Kingston matches, but I'm probably not going to go out of my way to see anything else. Maybe the buy-in match to see what Caster and the Gunns do against unfamiliar opponents. This is just not for me and nothing over the last few weeks have proved things otherwise.

8 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

No offense to Marina Shafir, but of all the women they have on the roster, I'm not understanding why she's getting the push she is on TV right now, when they can only have one women's match per show on cable. 

we're in the minority on this board.

18 minutes ago, Casey said:

I rather watch Shafir wrestle jobbers or people like Toni Storm, than any Thunder Rosa match.

The crowds sure have spoken with their silence.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, I think that's everything.  Card is up now. 

Small detail, but I think it's El Phantasmo and not Juicy Boy in the BC & YB tag.

El-P, Hiromu, Darby, and the Bux all trying to out-do each other is going to be insane!

11 hours ago, Casey said:

All it took was one Dynamite and suddenly this show is worth the price.

Are you stoked, though? ?

Adding Hiromu and Shingo and confirming Okada really improves the card, even with Dragon sadly being out.

11 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

A bit last minute but they managed to make me excited about the show. Only thing I would have done was just announce ZSJ's opponent so people can get excited after the downer about Bryan not being cleared. 

I have to think it's not going to be a relatively big name like Claudio or Gargano because I think they would have named them in that case. Possibly they just want a surprise pop, though. Tony Khan seems to love those. And why wouldn't he?

I have a long list of names of guys who in my opinion would justify our faith in Bryan by putting on two great performances, one technical and one violent, as The Substitute Dragon: 

My top choice, and who I honestly think it might be, is Nick Wayne. I think he's got what it takes to impress everyone. 

Takeshita would work, too. I think he's "over" enough that it wouldn't be disappointing to anyone who loves AEW. And he could be great in BCC.

So would Gresham.

Or. Maybe. Bandido, Biff, or Vikingo?

I agree that Timothy Thatcher would work!

Tom Lawlor! Fred Yehi!

JD Drake. Really. Put him back in the plain trunks and let him work more seriously and violently. I personally would absolutely not be disappointed, anyway.

Daniel Makabe!

I am imagining @Matt D's reaction to Makabe vs ZSJ now.

Matt Cross.

An even bigger dark horse? How about Tre Lamar?

I'm sincerely hoping for someone unexpected, but awesome.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

El-P, Hiromu, Darby, and the Bux all trying to out-do each other is going to be insane!

You're talking about the wrestling, but I'm thinking about El-P and the Bucks trying to out-heel each other. Really looking forward to seeing the AEW fanbase's reaction to Phantasmo.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

No offense to Marina Shafir, but of all the women they have on the roster, I'm not understanding why she's getting the push she is on TV right now, when they can only have one women's match per show on cable. 

You obviously only watch prime time wrestling.  Marina's most bestest dangerous pump-handle suplex run in Championship Wrestling from Atlanta was a glorious thing to behold.  She is not someone I'd put an AEW title on, but she serves a role as eternal challenger / gateway worker.

Edited by J.T.

I don’t follow New Japan besides what I  gather from general board discussions and I’ve been just skimming stuff with certain people on Dynamite, so I guess I thought White was holding some kind of junior title. I’m just realizing that four way is for the IWGP championship. That’s hilarious. 

If Cole won then he’d presumably have to fuck off to Tokyo regularly, so that should make some folks happy. 

11 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Shafir is a glorified enhancement talent in this story.

-Loses to Rosa. Gets beat up after by Storm.
-Loses to Storm. Gets beat up after by Rosa.

She was a plot device to bring Rosa & Storm together. You don't want to throw away someone that's over on that role. Like do you wanna job Ruby or Statlander out twice like that? I get that there are great talents being left off TV due to the dumb one women's match only formatting. But Shafir was fine for this role. And you wouldn't want to waste someone good on being jobbed out a bunch.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

She was a plot device to bring Rosa & Storm together. You don't want to throw away someone that's over on that role. Like do you wanna job Ruby or Statlander out twice like that? I get that there are great talents being left off TV due to the dumb one women's match only formatting. But Shafir was fine for this role. And you wouldn't want to waste someone good on being jobbed out a bunch.

Hopefully we are past the experiment now though. The Nyla pairing adds some interest but it should be back down to Dark for Shafir until she figures it out (or goes tag)

Shafir has bad footing for someone with her fight experience. She never looks like she has complete control over what she’s doing. Sometimes it looks cool in that noncooperative way and sometimes she doesn’t look like she should be on tv. Although I think if Brock Anderson’s lost ass can make television sometimes then Marina can too. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

But even before this she was thrown into a TV feud with Jade Cargill over the TBS title, and I don't really get her being put in that slot either. 

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

You obviously only watch prime time wrestling.  Marina's most bestest dangerous pump-handle suplex run in Championship Wrestling from Atlanta was a glorious thing to behold.  She is not someone I'd put an AEW title on, but she serves a role as eternal challenger / gateway worker.

She still looks pretty green and unpolished in the ring.

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

But even before this she was thrown into a TV feud with Jade Cargill over the TBS title, and I don't really get her being put in that slot either. 

I think she was fine for that role too. I don't think she's good or even adequate in the ring. But that too was also a two match glorified enhancement story.

-Win an enhancement match on Dynamite.
-Lost decisively to Jade on Rampage.

It's hard to say she deserved to be on when that's a whole lot of talented people ahead of her that aren't getting on TV. But you have to take in the totality of the story they used her for. She got beat decisively by Jade. Would you be happy with any of the talented people you like having that same story? They get one win over an enhancement talent then get squashed out by Jade?

Ruby, Statlander, Nyla, Deeb, Mercedes Martinez, Britt, Hayter, Toni, Rosa, Riho, Shida, etc are all too valuable for that story. So I don't have a problem with them sparing those talents from that story to not lower their equity and importance.

Looking at it from a strictly why is she on TV over person X isn't on TV, without taking the story into consideration is surface level thinking. Gotta take more into consideration to understand why it was her and why she was fine for the role.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I think she was fine for that role too. I don't think she's good or even adequate in the ring. But that too was also a two match glorified enhancement story.

-Win an enhancement match on Dynamite.
-Lost decisively to Jade on Rampage.

It's hard to say she deserved to be on when that's a whole lot of talented people ahead of her that aren't getting on TV. But you have to take in the totality of the story they used her for. She got beat decisively by Jade. Would you be happy with any of the talented people you like having that same story? They get one win over an enhancement talent then get squashed out by Jade?

Ruby, Statlander, Nyla, Deeb, Mercedes Martinez, Britt, Hayter, Toni, Rosa, Riho, Shida, etc are all too valuable for that story. So I don't have a problem with them sparing those talents from that story to not lower their equity and importance.

Looking at it from a strictly why is she on TV over person X isn't on TV, without taking the story into consideration is surface level thinking. Gotta take more into consideration to understand why it was her and why she was fine for the role.

Considering TV time is so valuable and there's only one women's match per cable show, I still don't get her spot.

19 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

She can eat some pins for the women they actually want to push?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, porksweats said:

the fates are really trying to slam this forbidden door aren't they?

Nothing against Clark Connors, but that sucks.

and why Clark Connors? Why not a star, like Naito or SANADA?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2