DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

I'm leaning towards ordering, but, yeah, everyone's expectations for this show were way too high.   Card will probably end up being fine, but could have been a lot more than that.  I'm probably buying the show for Tanahashi, White, and Ospreay, but even then. it's a bit of a hard sell.

Tanahashi is a top 10 guy for me, but i had no interest in a match with 2022 Punk, so the switch has worked out for me.  Like Mox quite a bit, though I'm surprised he wasn't booked with KENTA.  Is KENTA gone from NJ?

White vs. Hangman or Cole is fine.  A 3-way wouldn't be my preference, but nothing wrong with it.  

Ospreay is being wasted with Cassidy, but it is what it is.

I feel like this was a good idea on paper that's fallen through someone due to politics, bad luck, some odd booking ideas, etc.  Don't really feel like AEW has done a good job of selling this thing.  I know who the NJ wrestlers are, so I guess Tony thinks that's enough?  There's not been much in the build to make NJPW seem compelling or interesting.  Just "hey!  Japanese wrestlers".

We'll see.  While I am typing, I am talking myself out of spending any money on the show.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Mark said:

Ospreay is being wasted with Cassidy, but it is what it is.

I think this will be fun but I would have done OC vs. Naito just for the endless stalling and zero fucks posing to massive pops.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, eikerir said:

I think this will be fun but I would have done OC vs. Naito just for the endless stalling and zero fucks posing to massive pops.

Lol, Yano vs. Cassidy opens the show.  Both dudes stall and do comedy, neither touches the other.  At some point, they "brawl" to the back and the match continues off-camera.  They "brawl" back to the ring before the main event and somehow the match ends without either guy doing a spot.

Edit: Ideal finish would be Cassidy and Yano about to lock up.  Cassidy still has his hands in his pockets.  Suddenly, Orange slips on a banana peel and falls to the ground.  As he falls, he kicks Yano's leg out and Yano goes down too.  Cassidy lands on his back, Yano falls on top of him.  Both guys flail their legs while the ref counts to three.

Edited by Mark
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thinking about pricing for this, maybe it would have been a smart move to drop this down to a one time only price of $30 or $40. Give people on the fence a reason to order and get some newer viewers to see what an AEW PPV is like without the full $50 commitment. 

• Like 2

Just now, Craig H said:

Thinking about pricing for this, maybe it would have been a smart move to drop this down to a one time only price of $30 or $40. Give people on the fence a reason to order and get some newer viewers to see what an AEW PPV is like without the full $50 commitment. 

They probably got quite a few buys just on the announcement, much like the tickets.  I know we're (well, not me, I still think it's a strong card) a little down on the show, but I bet just "JAPAN vs AEW!!!" will get plenty of buys.

• Like 1

I don't know how kosher it is to talk about VPNs and stuff, but I just got AEW Plus on Fite (7 day free trial) and if you're subscribed to that, the price of Forbidden Door is $15.

So....

I don't think it'll sell as well as their normal PPVs as they just had one recently and for the more casual fan (I don't like the term, but you know what I mean) there probably is not as much appeal here. But I can understand why they didn't drop the price as they don't want to set that precedent, plus it would be them acknowledging its a "B"  PPV which they wouldn't do.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Casey said:

I don't know how kosher it is to talk about VPNs and stuff, but I just got AEW Plus on Fite (7 day free trial) and if you're subscribed to that, the price of Forbidden Door is $15.

So....

VPN talk is fine, I think, but Fite doesn't play nice with NordVPN, which is what I subscribe to. Otherwise I would use Fite simply because it's a million times better than BR.

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

VPN talk is fine, I think, but Fite doesn't play nice with NordVPN, which is what I subscribe to. Otherwise I would use Fite simply because it's a million times better than BR.

I have a browser extension in Chrome called VeePN that's free (only two or three countries to use I think) and it worked. I know most of the methods I've seen online (these days) call for doing it on the app and using a mobile VPN, so I was surprised when it accepted my US credit card for AEW Plus on my laptop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

EDIT:  Was about to gripe about VPNs and Fite but I'll have to try Casey's suggestion and see if that works.  Thanks, dude.

I think the bigger issue for me with this show is through no fault of anybody the timing is off for this relationship.  Pre-pandemic NJPW was in a much better state though AEW was still finding its footing.  Then the pandemic hit and from what I gather NJPW's been on a downturn of sorts.  I know there's still fantastic matches but they don't seem as special to me as they used to.  So while stuff like Mox/Tanahashi sounds fantastic I just have a hard time getting excited about it.

I'll still order the show but it's hard to justify inviting people to watch a show where they don't know half the participants.  Now if they're having this on NJPW World then I may consider ordering just because I love their excitement in commentary.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

EDIT:  Was about to gripe about VPNs and Fite but I'll have to try Casey's suggestion and see if that works.  Thanks, dude.

I think the bigger issue for me with this show is through no fault of anybody the timing is off for this relationship.  Pre-pandemic NJPW was in a much better state though AEW was still finding its footing.  Then the pandemic hit and from what I gather NJPW's been on a downturn of sorts.  I know there's still fantastic matches but they don't seem as special to me as they used to.  So while stuff like Mox/Tanahashi sounds fantastic I just have a hard time getting excited about it.

I'll still order the show but it's hard to justify inviting people to watch a show where they don't know half the participants.  Now if they're having this on NJPW World then I may consider ordering just because I love their excitement in commentary.

Yep. Cheap plug:

Hope it's useful, friend.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

If it's a minor injury to Bryan Danielson, I could see Danielson/Zack Sabre Jr doing an exhibition match like ZSJ had with Katsuyori Shibata. Danielson and Sabre Jr are talented to make it work. If it's concussion, no way should it happen with Danielson's history of concussions. I think Danielson's off AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door and Blood & Guts. Massive blow to both but Danielson's health is way more important.

To me the weirdness of Ospreay vs OC actually makes it an attraction and people just don't realize how good OC really is. This is likely going to be a really good match that overdelivers on everyone's expectations.

Edited by sabremike
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Bruce was on his podcast talking about the early IYH ppv. he said that the value pricing for them  ($20 for two hours instead of $30 for three) never lead to any increased buys so they stopped doing it

• Like 1

More matches being announced is a good thing. But I'm noticing an AEW trend that I hope doesn't stick. The last PPV and this one have both had super rushed builds. With multiple matches being announced days out from the PPV.

Why would you wait until 4 days before the PPV to announce so many matches? One of the things we were led to believe is the lowered amount of PPVs vs WWE was because they wanted to turn back the clock and have more methodical and important builds to all the PPV matches. Instead of the frantic throw everything on last minute. But here they are two PPVs in a row announcing 3-4 matches DAYS before the event. I don't like that.

I'm willing to hand waive this one away because of the structure of New Japan and not being able to spoil the results of Domino & what not just to announce the PPV matches earlier. But I just hope when All Out comes around we have 90% of the card know more than 3 weeks out. It's fine to throw one match on the week of the show as an added value bonus kind of thing. But I hope they get back to having the card laid out well ahead of time with plenty of time to advertise and push the issues.

• Like 5