DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

5 hours ago, EVA said:

What’s worse is that, as long as NJPW and AEW are working together, they’re probably going to expect AEW not to use him, too. 

Okay, time for Omega and Ibushi to start their own promotion. I would burn bridges with NJPW in order to bring Ibushi in but that's just me. 

Fantasy booking dream matches aside, I still am a bit baffled by the build to this event. I get that extenuating circumstances kept quite a few people off the card (I don't think it is now or has been reasonable for a long time to expect Ibushi to show up, given what we've been hearing over the last month or so). I also get that the tickets for this event sold out largely on hype and what "might happen."

But...you still need to sell the PPV, right? Fans don't even know who's on the other side of the IWGP World Heavyweight title match yet, and the event is happening this Sunday. Further, the card only has 6-7 matches announced when typical AEW PPVs have had...what...roughly 11 matches of late? Are they expecting people to shell out and tune in with the notion that there will be a lot of surprises? I agree that this may not be the only AEW/NJPW crossover card, but I don't think they're doing all that great at getting people excited to buy the event if they can't be there in person.

• Like 4

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, Raziel said:

Okada isn't leaving Japan with his wife hitting 8 months pregnant, Naito has been hidden in tags recovering from eye surgery, Ibushi is hurt and not near ready, Kenny is hurt and not near ready, Danielson might be hurt, Rossy was never sending his workers to a show where the other side uses a lot of a rival companies workers, ditto to CMLL blocking AAA people (meaning Black is the 4th guy in the All-Atlantic match).  The whole AAA/CMLL thing has me surprised CMLL isn't bitching that FTR is on the show in an IWGP Tag title match.  I wouldn't be surprised if the CMLL/AAA stuff is behind LIJ not being anywhere on the card (CMLL still owns the Los Ingobernables name I think, hence why Rush and family use Los Faction Ingobernables in AAA, RoH, and likely AEW once the Lee's and Rush get there proper)

Some of you guys fantasy booked yourselves into dissappointment and need to temper expectations accordingly.

Some of us dare to dream the impossible dream, grouchypants.

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

Okada isn't leaving Japan with his wife hitting 8 months pregnant, Naito has been hidden in tags recovering from eye surgery, Ibushi is hurt and not near ready, Kenny is hurt and not near ready, Danielson might be hurt, Rossy was never sending his workers to a show where the other side uses a lot of a rival companies workers, ditto to CMLL blocking AAA people (meaning Black is the 4th guy in the All-Atlantic match).  The whole AAA/CMLL thing has me surprised CMLL isn't bitching that FTR is on the show in an IWGP Tag title match.  I wouldn't be surprised if the CMLL/AAA stuff is behind LIJ not being anywhere on the card (CMLL still owns the Los Ingobernables name I think, hence why Rush and family use Los Faction Ingobernables in AAA, RoH, and likely AEW once the Lee's and Rush get there proper)

Some of you guys fantasy booked yourselves into dissappointment and need to temper expectations accordingly.

Yeah, that last part is fair. I think when presented with the prospect of NJPW vs AEW you think they're going to shoot for the moon despite there being many issues to work out.

I started thinking about it more after listening to WOR today and I now feel like the booking for this was pretty messed up. So many of these guys are coming in without much build and while let's be generous and say 75% of AEW's audience is smart enough to know who Ospreay or Ishii or Jay White are, that's leaving 25% that have no clue and to them the only thing that sets these NJPW guys apart from folks on Dark who make the occasional appearance is the NJPW name and even that's not enough. We could have had a stronger build to Blood and Guts instead of putting everything on hold for 3 weeks to a month.

It also makes me think that this PPV was rushed and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because travel restrictions were relaxed even more or maybe it had to do with something else, but you could have held off on this PPV until next year and from now until then you introduce your audience to the key players who will be involved.

More than anything, while I don't think TK is flopping as a booker, I do think he needs to take many steps back to get a very broad view of everything that is happening and then start tightening things up. Figure out who your main players are going to be and don't make the audience feel like it's going to be a bunch of people from NXT or WWE. I keep beating the drum for Kris Statlander, but she is a star in the making and should have the same rocket strapped to her back that Britt Baker had. The major difference between the two though is that Kris kinda sucks on promos. Even still, Jungle Boy was even worse and he's managed to be someone who can cut a decent promo now.

Maybe it's just the booking for this PPV, but it has made the overall storylines feel all over the place or kinda samey and it's only being buoyed by excellent performers. That's all well and good until those performers start dropping like flies from injuries.

• Like 4

I'm getting it.  It feels so much like a New Japan-WCW Supershow for me to fight the temptation.  HASE AND SASAKI VERSUS THE STEINERS!

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm getting the show. I can't find any theatres showing it. I'm ready for another five hour ppv, so I took the next day off at work. 

I did the same thing. Also spent most of today complaining about the ppv build on here instead of working (sorry, boss). Then I ordered the ppv early because all the (justified) negativity has me thinking they're probably hurting for early buys. My logic is twisted but I feel like this ppv is disappointing enough on paper that I had to order it well in advance so as to feel less guilty about being a bitch eating crackers about it online. Also speaking of WCW/NJPW shows, anyone else remember how solid and educational the build to Starrcade 95 was? Had that whole article in WCW magazine explaining who everyone was and everything. 

Edit: Also wait, aren't Archer and Desperado supposed to be in the Suzukigun/JAS vs BCC match too? Or will they likely announce something else for them? Can't imagine Desperado popping up on Dynamite but not working the ppv. Him and Archer vs Starks and Hobbes would be a fun freaking all-rudo match. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle

I think I’m going to save my money, and not just because my electric bill was $30 more thanks to this pre-summer heatwave/reminder that global warming is already getting dangerous 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Also wait, aren't Archer and Desperado supposed to be in the Suzukigun/JAS vs BCC match too?

No, it's just Kingston teaming with YUTA and Shooter against Jericho, Sammy & Suzuki.

Archer & Despy were only there because they're hired guns on loan from Suzuki-gun. TK forgot he signed Lance Archer in 2019, you see.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm getting the show. I can't find any theatres showing it. I'm ready for another five hour ppv, so I took the next day off at work. 

Check the Theatres tomorrow my Local AMC's showing only popped up earlier today. 

• Thanks 1

I mean, I'm still ordering, but I'm just not going to drive an hour and a half to see it. That and my 10 month old has covid, the flu, an ear infection, and she's teething. There's no way I'd be anywhere but home with her feeling like that.

So now I look forward to watching this PPV with COVID Round 2 for me.

• Sad 6

It's crazy that this card is looking like it will be smaller than a typical AEW show. You have twice the roster but only book 2/3 the number of matches? There's got to be a way to get some sort of Andrade/Naito interaction, even if it's not in the ring.

Throw on a big NJPW style tag match -

Young Bucks + Good Bros + KOR
vs
Sting/Darby + GoD + Matt Hardy  

Give Danielson the match with ZSJ if he's even half fit. They could have a very fun 10-12 minutes of straight up grappling/submission wrestling without the need for head drops or anything crazy dangerous. 

I assume we get a 3 way for the IWGP Title with Cole and Hangman.

There's room to fill it out surely?

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I mean, I'm still ordering, but I'm just not going to drive an hour and a half to see it. That and my 10 month old has covid, the flu, an ear infection, and she's teething. There's no way I'd be anywhere but home with her feeling like that.

So now I look forward to watching this PPV with COVID Round 2 for me.

Sorry to hear that, hope she gets well soon.

The main issue with Okada not appearing is simply that he was name-dropped/challenged on a AEW program in the lead-up to the PPV. I don't think him doing a three-day business trip while his wife is pregnant is a huge deal but if it is to him that's perfectly understandable (even though that is something we are just making up as a reason), but if that is true then he shouldn't have been mentioned at all. I mean they haven't mentioned Naito, Ibushi, this month etc. for a reason - they aren't appearing and were never scheduled. So I don't think people expecting Okada to have a match were unrealistic since he was mentioned in an AEW ring by an AEW wrestler this month while promoting the upcoming event.

This show will be a pass for me to order, I already told my brother (he is a bigger AEW fan than I am) and he's a bit sad since I've ordered all of them the last two years and we've watched them together. There just isn't enough sizzle there to justify the $50 price tag for me, plus I am moving this weekend so I have enough going on already. I hope its a great show though, sometimes the ones on paper that maybe don't look as great as you were hoping end up being the better events anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JLowe said:

I think I’m going to save my money, and not just because my electric bill was $30 more thanks to this pre-summer heatwave/reminder that global warming is already getting dangerous 

Yeah. Getting my bike fixed yet again cost me way less than I figured it would, so the PPV money came from that. No skin off my ass, so to speak (also, I already promised to TK I would get it). I'm sure that IF this one turns out to be some life-changing experience, there's a way for you to catch it after the fact. Reading the post-PPV thread will probably give you a good idea if it will be worth a look. Or if you wish to remain spoiler-free, just looking at how many pages of discussion the thread has generated, gives an idea whether you missed something significant, or not.

• Like 1

I’m getting the show because every morning for the last week+, my son has woken up and his first words out were, “Is today the big wrestling show?”

I get that Punk/Tanahashi is more of a dream match, but I’m of the opinion that Mox can have a better match in that spot. I also think Cassidy/Osprey is going to be way better than people are thinking. They’ll fill out the card this week, and I think it’ll be a good show. 

• Like 2

Kenny Omega is currently held together by tape, gum and Kota Ibushi's love, presumably. I doubt he's anywhere near this thing - maybe an appearance, or a commentary gig for a match or something, but a match? No fuckin' way, I'd imagine.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

Well, I finally worked out how to/remembered to redeem my Fite credits, and turns out I had enough to order this for free. Not that I was ever going to miss it. My girlfriend and I have both booked Monday off, and my friend who fanatically loves late 80s/early 90s WWF and basically no other wrestling is also planning to come and watch it. I'm 99% certain he'll be alienated, bored and appalled by it, but hopefully he'll enjoy the hanging out, the beer and the popcorn. And as I told him, now he'll know what Jim Cornette is apoplectic about later in the week.

Edited by SturmCRF
  • Like 4