DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

5 hours ago, Salads said:

Slowly sinking in that with a couple of weeks to go the dream AEW / NJPW show everyone wanted has a non-zero chance of not featuring Bryan, CM Punk, Omega, Ibushi, Okada or a top title match from either side. Setting my expectations to zero so it can only go up from here.

It's like Tony extended the olive branch across the Pacific but ended up catching whatever curse NJPW had during the pandemic that ensured nothing they had lined up went to plan.

This, unfortunately.

Has there been any word of Naito being involved in this show in anyway? I kinda stopped following NJPW after the title went from Ibushi to Osprey and then the whole company seemed cursed, so not sure what he’s up to at the moment. But he still seemed to be at or near the top of the company when I left.

On the surface (so far), it appears that this show is just a bunch of NJPW gaijin, people we've seen in AEW before (Suzuki, most likely Ishii) and Tanahashi. I mean, after the 21st, New Japan kind of takes a break for almost two weeks, but their last show is next Tuesday - that would be people like Okada, Naito, Shingo, etc would have to leave almost immediately and maybe still not even make Dynamite. That show occurs on the 21st in Japan, so that's the morning of Dynamite, right? Or is it the night before? I dunno, timezones are weird and it's almost 3AM here so whatever.

Like, right now, this is definitely not a $50+ level PPV. I'm sure the matches will be great, but it's a super thrown together undercard and with a main event that - while it's been "in the making" for years - doesn't have a huge amount of hype/build to it and is fairly predictable (but so was Punk/Tanahashi but anyway).

Being completely honest here, my give a fuck meter for a lot of stuff in AEW went way down when CM Punk got injured. I'm still heavily invested, but it's quite the blow for someone like me who absolutely loves Punk and wanted to see him go on a tear this summer and face someone like Hiroshi Tanahashi in the main event, in Chicago, at the United Center where he debuted almost a year ago. Fuck that would have been such a cool moment.

• Like 3

On 6/17/2022 at 8:39 AM, Casey said:

On the surface (so far), it appears that this show is just a bunch of NJPW gaijin, people we've seen in AEW before (Suzuki, most likely Ishii) and Tanahashi. I mean, after the 21st, New Japan kind of takes a break for almost two weeks, but their last show is next Tuesday - that would be people like Okada, Naito, Shingo, etc would have to leave almost immediately and maybe still not even make Dynamite. That show occurs on the 21st in Japan, so that's the morning of Dynamite, right? Or is it the night before? I dunno, timezones are weird and it's almost 3AM here so whatever.

Like, right now, this is definitely not a $50+ level PPV. I'm sure the matches will be great, but it's a super thrown together undercard and with a main event that - while it's been "in the making" for years - doesn't have a huge amount of hype/build to it and is fairly predictable (but so was Punk/Tanahashi but anyway).

Being completely honest here, my give a fuck meter for a lot of stuff in AEW went way down when CM Punk got injured. I'm still heavily invested, but it's quite the blow for someone like me who absolutely loves Punk and wanted to see him go on a tear this summer and face someone like Hiroshi Tanahashi in the main event, in Chicago, at the United Center where he debuted almost a year ago. Fuck that would have been such a cool moment.

Talking to my friend, @Gordlow when the G1 Climax 32 participants were announced relates to this - setting high expectations only to be disappointed with actuality. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Talking to my friend, @Gordlow when the G1 Climax 32 participants were announced relates to this - setting high expectations only to be disappointed with actuality. 

Although, for me, Ishii and MiSu returning to AEW is the furthest thing possible from disappointing. 

Moxley vs. Tana title match
Ospreay vs. Orangey Boy IWGP US title match
Thunder vs. Storm women’s title match
FTR (c) vs. Khan on the Cobb (c) vs. Roppongi Vice  ROH & IWGP tag titles match

PAC vs. Miro vs. Malakai Black or Penta Oscura vs.hopefully Ishii All-Atlantic title match 
Eddie Kingston, Shota Umino & Wheeler Yuta vs. Chris Jericho, Minoru Suzuki & Sammy Guevara
Jay vs. ??? IWGP World Heavyweight title match (or even some kind of tag match instead)

Hopefully Dragon vs ZSJ

That ain't exactly chopped liver!

I'm also disinclined to complain about AEW not overexplaining who all the New Japan guys are. It's not hard to figure it out if there's some mystery there for some of the audience. I think it's better doing what they are doing rather than insulting the intelligence of their hard core fan base with too much hand-holding.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 5

If folks can use the internet to keep track of quarter-hour ratings, who's maybe released or not, what people like SRS and Meltz have to say, etc., they sure as fuck can Google who Tomoaki Honma is. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Ishii & Suzuki returning to AEW isn’t disappointing, but when they’ve already had a handful of matches here it makes you want to see other New Japan roster members get that chance. I’d love to see Shingo in that four way title match instead, for example.

As the card stands right now, it’s only like… what, 10 or so New Japan guys? There’s more AEW talent on the show than New Japan talent. And some of the NJPW guys have appeared in AEW well before this event was ever announced. It’s just missing a lot of people to make it feel like a true joint promotion card, that’s all.

Makes me think New Japan is doing that thing they used to do with NJPW USA where they think US audiences want to see one thing, where in reality that want people like Naito or Okada or Shingo, etc. 

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

Makes me think New Japan is doing that thing they used to do with NJPW USA where they think US audiences want to see one thing, where in reality that want people like Naito or Okada or Shingo, etc. 

It is, but tk was there from the start at the first show in Long Beach, so he must be well aware of this. With him saying how he prevented Tana vs mox from happening “many times” because he felt aew should get the match, I wouldn’t be surprised if this was his doing. 

On 6/16/2022 at 8:44 PM, The Natural said:

This, unfortunately.

Unfortunate, but something they have to deal with at some point. Injuries are part of the business. 

The good news is that this doesn't have to be the last AEW x NJPW joint card. They can do more.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

If folks can use the internet to keep track of quarter-hour ratings, who's maybe released or not, what people like SRS and Meltz have to say, etc., they sure as fuck can Google who Tomoaki Honma is. 

I would think the pencil neck geeks that track quarter-hour ratings already know who Tomoaki Honma is. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 2:39 AM, Casey said:

That show occurs on the 21st in Japan, so that's the morning of Dynamite, right? Or is it the night before? I dunno, timezones are weird and it's almost 3AM here so whatever.

It would actually be in the early AM hours on Tuesday in the US, so they would have over 24 hours to get to Milwaukee for Dynamite. So they could make it happen, even if everybody would be hella jetlagged.

• Like 1

Big names without a match the week of (not good leaving it so late):

Bryan Danielson, Kazuchika Okada, Tetsuya Naito, Zack Sabre Jr, Shingo Takagi and Hiromu Takahashi.

The above names all need to be there. Race against time for Danielson to be fit and ready.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 1

The rest of this card is really tough to piece together right now, especially if the IWGP Heavyweight title match isn’t Jay/Hangman/Cole. If the Jay/Omega rumors are true (highly unlikely!), I guess maybe you could do Hangman/Okada anyway, but that leaves Cole with nothing meaningful to do. So maybe Hangman & Chaos vs. the Undisputed Elite? And if Hanger isn’t in the title match and Okada doesn’t come over, he’s really up the creek.

It seems like if LIJ comes over at all, it’ll be to do a multi-man tag, so I guess you could do LIJ vs. Undisputed Elite, if necessary.

Things start to make a little more sense if the 3-way is happening, but…

You’d also have to guess that NJPW would want Archer getting a win on this show to set him up for the G1 and to have more Bullet Club representation besides Jay White, even if it’s just the Good Brothers, and it’s tough to see where any of that fits together.

NJPW chronically underestimates Western fans’ interest in Japanese talent, so it honestly wouldn’t surprise me if they left a lot of people home.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

The rest of this card is really tough to piece together right now, especially if the IWGP Heavyweight title match isn’t Jay/Hangman/Cole. If the Jay/Omega rumors are true (highly unlikely!), I guess maybe you could do Hangman/Okada anyway, but that leaves Cole with nothing meaningful to do. So maybe Hangman & Chaos vs. the Undisputed Elite? And if Hanger isn’t in the title match and Okada doesn’t come over, he’s really up the creek.

It seems like if LIJ comes over at all, it’ll be to do a multi-man tag, so I guess you could do LIJ vs. Undisputed Elite, if necessary.

Things start to make a little more sense if the 3-way is happening, but…

You’d also have to guess that NJPW would want Archer getting a win on this show to set him up for the G1 and to have more Bullet Club representation besides Jay White, even if it’s just the Good Brothers, and it’s tough to see where any of that fits together.

NJPW chronically underestimates Western fans’ interest in Japanese talent, so it honestly wouldn’t surprise me if they left a lot of people home.

Put Adam Cole on commentary ?.

If big NJPW beasts are left at home, that won't go down well. You'd think NJPW would be aware of that. Stupid if they're not.

15 hours ago, Casey said:

Ishii & Suzuki returning to AEW isn’t disappointing, but when they’ve already had a handful of matches here it makes you want to see other New Japan roster members get that chance. I’d love to see Shingo in that four way title match instead, for example.

As the card stands right now, it’s only like… what, 10 or so New Japan guys? There’s more AEW talent on the show than New Japan talent. And some of the NJPW guys have appeared in AEW well before this event was ever announced. It’s just missing a lot of people to make it feel like a true joint promotion card, that’s all.

This is why I'm now holding off on buying tickets. Before the last Dynamite, I had hopes that Okada, Shingo, and Naito would be on the card with Okada being the biggest selling point. Now that none of those guys and not even Hiromu or even someone like Yoh will be there, I don't know if I care to buy someone's overpriced ticket.

Dynamite on Wednesday will be pretty telling for what decision I wind up making. It's not like Chicago is a long drive for me and actually, driving to the United Center is a shorter trip than driving to Wrigley or River North or Oldtown, and I can always change my mind if ticket prices really drop, but I'd also like the added incentive of getting to see any of the top guys in NJPW that aren't Tanahashi. I don't even like Tanahashi that much.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2022 at 9:01 AM, Casey said:

What’s wrong with OC versus Ospreay? Cassidy is more than capable of keeping up with him.

I'm sure it'll be a good match, and I'm a fan of OC for sure, but I can think of a few AEW guys I'd rather see in that spot.

My disappointment in the card is mostly that you don't tease Okada v Hangman, and then replace Okada with Jay White and Adam Cole. If you can't deliver Okada, don't mention him.

AmDrag vs. ZSJ is the only dream match on this card and it's not official yet. I still expect all matches to be very good, however.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Put Adam Cole on commentary ?.

If big NJPW beasts are left at home, that won't go down well. You'd think NJPW would be aware of that. Stupid if they're not.

well, AEW sent Wheeler Yuta (admittedly, one of their hottest young stars) for BOSJ and Lance Archer for G1, so maybe they're even.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

This is why I'm now holding off on buying tickets. Before the last Dynamite, I had hopes that Okada, Shingo, and Naito would be on the card with Okada being the biggest selling point. Now that none of those guys and not even Hiromu or even someone like Yoh will be there, I don't know if I care to buy someone's overpriced ticket.

Dynamite on Wednesday will be pretty telling for what decision I wind up making. It's not like Chicago is a long drive for me and actually, driving to the United Center is a shorter trip than driving to Wrigley or River North or Oldtown, and I can always change my mind if ticket prices really drop, but I'd also like the added incentive of getting to see any of the top guys in NJPW that aren't Tanahashi. I don't even like Tanahashi that much.

You might want to check TickPick, just saying...

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

You might want to check TickPick, just saying...

LOL those prices are outrageous. Nobody is going to pay that much for those when you can go to StubHub and get them for $300 or more less than what TickPick wants.

29 minutes ago, Craig H said:

LOL those prices are outrageous. Nobody is going to pay that much for those when you can go to StubHub and get them for $300 or more less than what TickPick wants.

The get in price is $14 on TickPick, literally just checked. That's less than a movie ticket.

• Like 1