DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

Don't know whether the original phrase Forbidden Portal was changed to Forbidden Door or whether it's a different choice of translation but I like to think the graphics are a reference to that.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Disappointed that we aren't getting Punk/Tana either, especially after watching the four-way for the US belt on AXS TV and being reminded that Tanahashi's offense is nowhere near the stiffness of current-day Moxley. Punk and him would be chocolate and peanut butter but him and Moxley is gonna be more like a chocolate cherry -- sweet vs. bitter.

This is my take as well. Despite the subdued reaction to the match announcement (how far we've come from freaking out over KENTA on Dynamite) Tana was a great fit for post-comeback Bret-tribute Punk. Tana mentioned that the match should happen at the Tokyo Dome instead. Not sure if that's just talk but we may still get to see it.

• Like 2

Discovered yesterday that I actually get AXS on my DirecTV (redid the favorites a couple years ago and didn’t include it and promptly forgot it), and discovered today that I can watch the last few episodes of NJPW World on demand for free, so I’m going to familiarize myself with some of these names in the next couple of weeks before the PPV. Last time I saw any NJPW was the height of Omega and the Bucks a few years ago.

• Like 3

I originally wanted Okada/Punk, then was able to get hyped for Okada/Hangman after Hangman's challenge. Hangman/Jay would probably be pretty great (loved their 2018 Long Beach match which felt like a breakout match for both guys). But a triple threat, four way, or likely tag team match I feel a lot less enthusiastic about than the proposed singles matches.  Definitely wanted a big time Okada singles match on the card.

I am glad the way is paved for a potential FTR IWGP tag title reign and hope they go that route, even if it ends up a 3 or 4 way in that case.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 3

Meltzer:

Zack Sabre Jr. after his match last night outright issued a challenge to Bryan Danielson for Forbidden Door. Unless this match is on the show, neither man should be teasing it for that date. That is a match that on paper could be legendary. The two wrestled once, years ago, long before Sabre became a top star. They are two of the greatest technical pro wrestlers of the modern style and probably the two best of the last 20 years.

With Dominion over, I expect a lot of announcements this week regarding Forbidden Door.

12 hours ago, nofuture said:
Andrade tweet about no NJPW for him.

This stems from the working relationship with NJPW / CMLL, I assume? I was unaware that AAA had actual, enforceable contracts with anyone. Is this the same kind of issue that plagued the Lucha Underground affiliated guys a couple years back?

I wonder if FTR not carting around the AAA belts right now is because of their upcoming involvement with the IWGP Heavyweight tag belts. 

I don't think it's AAA keeping Andrade from being on the show, it's probably CMLL being super salty about him joining AAA when he left WWE. CMLL fired Dragon Lee, and I'm pretty sure one of the breaking points for that situation was him working a PWG show that also had AAA talent on it. It's basically rival promotion politics, and it's been happening for decades because they're the two biggest groups in Mexico. 

FWIW, the current rumor is that Pentagon won't be on Forbidden Door either. Rey Fenix already has another show booked for that day, I believe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I don't think it's AAA keeping Andrade from being on the show, it's probably CMLL being super salty about him joining AAA when he left WWE.

The first reply under Andrade's tweet is Konnan saying it wasn't AAA but NJPW/CMLL.

• Like 1

Checked Stubhub again and these ticket prices aren't coming down. I figured that they would have come down somewhat, but all of these people are holding their ground. This is probably going to be something where I'll need to wait until the day before the event to get a good deal on seats.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 9:50 AM, EVA said:

Feels weird to say, but I’m a little bummed that it’s going to be Ishii in the All-Atlantic 4-way.

That would be a very odd choice since 4-ways are sprint-y by nature, let alone one with Pac and probably Miro/Malakai. Surely there's someone who would be a better fit there.

Also, I really want Minoru vs. Garcia for this show.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Checked Stubhub again and these ticket prices aren't coming down. I figured that they would have come down somewhat, but all of these people are holding their ground. This is probably going to be something where I'll need to wait until the day before the event to get a good deal on seats.

I’d even say the day of when they release lower level seats by the camera setup. I was watching Ticketmaster for the forum and the seats moved really slowly. Just have to keep checking. 

On 6/13/2022 at 7:31 PM, grilledcheese said:

Is this the same kind of issue that plagued the Lucha Underground affiliated guys a couple years back?

Casey Tromatagon, if he's still posting here, would know but I think that was on the stateside LU guys. 

EDIT: Ah ha...

On February 6, 2019, it was reported that Jorge Luis Alcantar, who played King Cuerno, had filed a lawsuit in California against the El Rey Network and the Baba-G production company that made Lucha Underground. The lawsuit claimed that LU's contracts "illegally restricted" wrestlers from working in their "lawful profession," by blocking them working for other wrestling companies until their multi-year LU contracts expired. Production of the series ended in less than 4 years, despite producers signing some original cast member wrestlers to 5-year, exclusive contracts.[46][47] Alcantar stated that wrestler pay was usually less than $1,000 per appearance, with some wrestling cast members earning only about $4,000 a year from the show.[47] Alcantar's lawyer also revealed that he had filed a class action lawsuit against LU on behalf of other wrestlers, claiming their contracts, too, were illegal under California labor law.[46] Other wrestlers Ivelisse Vélez, Joey Ryan and Melissa Cervantes (who played Kobra Moon) joined the class, seeking to invalidate their contracts.[48] As of March 26, 2019, all lawsuits had been settled in the wrestlers' favor, and they were freed from their LU contracts.[49]

So where did King Cuerno end up? He was great in that promotion. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Thanks 1