DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

Kayfabe-wise, Okada would be crazy to put the championship on the line in a match where he a) doesn't need to be pinned to lose and b) one of the challengers has handily beaten the other challenger twice. I actually hope it ends up being Jay White instead, as has been said. 

• Like 1

Okay wait, keep it Okada/Page/Cole but every time Cole gets into the mix, the other two double team him and toss him to the outside in a show of mutual disdain. The match ends up being "who can pin Adam Cole first."

...and I don't even really mind Cole ??

5 hours ago, hobo joe said:

Ugh.

Adding Cole to Page v Okada made my interest in this completely evaporate. Hopefully White wins the belt and this frees up Okada for Danielson, but who am I fucking kidding.

This.

Dominion developments:

Spoiler

Moxley vs Tanahashi is confirmed for the Interim belt.

Despite this match up having what seems like years of build including a bunch of promos by one of the best in the business, hype-wise for me it doesn't rival that one segment on Dynamite where Tanahashi came out to eye-fuck the camera while Punk trash talks off-mic to the sound of anime guitars. RIP 2019's greatest dream match.

Jay White is your new IWGP World Heavyweight champion. I'll take a tag match and get that three-way outta here, thank you. Tbh with shows like these it's good business practise to lower expectations before bettering them to curtail the natural tendency of fans to fantasy book themselves into disappointment. That said...

I wonder if they fast forwarded to Danielson / ZSJ when the Punk match fell through considering the lack of build, but no matter THIS IS A GOOD THING.

• Like 5

Spoiler

I feel like Hangman vs Jay should be really really good. Mox vs Tana has been percolating for a long time and I expect Mox to go 100  percent here. Danielson vs ZSJ is the dream match for me!

Not directly related to the PPV, but: Archer in the G-1 makes sense and will be fun, but I've definitely fantasy booked myself into disappointment in this regard.

I was pretty surprised that nobody from AEW showed up in Osaka to help hype the show.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Salads said:

Dominion developments:

Hide contents

Moxley vs Tanahashi is confirmed for the Interim belt.

Despite this match up having what seems like years of build including a bunch of promos by one of the best in the business, hype-wise for me it doesn't rival that one segment on Dynamite where Tanahashi came out to eye-fuck the camera while Punk trash talks off-mic to the sound of anime guitars. RIP 2019's greatest dream match.

Jay White is your new IWGP World Heavyweight champion. I'll take a tag match and get that three-way outta here, thank you. Tbh with shows like these it's good business practise to lower expectations before bettering them to curtail the natural tendency of fans to fantasy book themselves into disappointment. That said...

I wonder if they fast forwarded to Danielson / ZSJ when the Punk match fell through considering the lack of build, but no matter THIS IS A GOOD THING.

Spoiler

A rematch 14 years in the making:

FVCT3LZXwAANDdg?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 2

With the IWGP tag belts back on Cobb and O’Khan as expected, them vs. FTR (and I guess maybe RPV in a 3-way) seems like a lock. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the belts get switched to FTR either. With Cobb and O’Khan slated for the G1, those belts would be on ice in Japan through August anyway.

Kinda wondering if this ladder match on Wednesday isn’t a way to get the AEW belts on the Bucks so they can do the rubber match with FTR for, like, every belt in the world at All Out.

• Like 6

Disappointed that we aren't getting Punk/Tana either, especially after watching the four-way for the US belt on AXS TV and being reminded that Tanahashi's offense is nowhere near the stiffness of current-day Moxley. Punk and him would be chocolate and peanut butter but him and Moxley is gonna be more like a chocolate cherry -- sweet vs. bitter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Disappointed that we aren't getting Punk/Tana either, especially after watching the four-way for the US belt on AXS TV and being reminded that Tanahashi's offense is nowhere near the stiffness of current-day Moxley. Punk and him would be chocolate and peanut butter but him and Moxley is gonna be more like a chocolate cherry -- sweet vs. bitter.

As a hungry man, that was the most beautiful post I’ve ever read.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, EVA said:

With the IWGP tag belts back on Cobb and O’Khan as expected, them vs. FTR (and I guess maybe RPV in a 3-way) seems like a lock. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the belts get switched to FTR either. With Cobb and O’Khan slated for the G1, those belts would be on ice in Japan through August anyway.

Kinda wondering if this ladder match on Wednesday isn’t a way to get the AEW belts on the Bucks so they can do the rubber match with FTR for, like, every belt in the world at All Out.

I'm all in (pun intended) for this.

• Like 2

b3ab542a65e570a4-600x338.jpg

I'd rather have Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada or Bryan Danielson vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi but Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr was in my top three Bryan Danielson opponents for this show. I'll take it. Pure technical wrestling.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1