DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

Danielson should be in for a big match at this event, one of the reasons he signed with AEW was to wrestle in Japan and against the NJPW guys. It would be stupid to have him stuck in a trios match when Tony had him face Suzuki in a Youtube match months ago. Like, it doesn't make sense to me that you book a DREAM match for youtube and then, in the biggest event of the year, you put him in a trios match. When he was asked about his preferences a few days ago, he named a bunch of guys like Okada, Tanahashi, Saber, Ospreay, Shibata and Ishii. I doubt that he wants to be in any Tag or Trios match, he is the best wrestler in the world and this is a historic event.

I would love to see Danielson vs. Shibata, but given the circumstances, I think it will be Danielson vs. Sabre.

I agree that they can do the matchagainst Okada at WrestleKingdom at some point, especially if he makes it to G1 this year and wins it.

Tanahashi is the perfect opponent for Punk and I understand why they are going to do the Okada vs. Page match, at the end of the day, they're the two young aces for each company and Hangman needs to do something relevant after losing the title.

• Like 2

I’m disappointed we’re not getting Moxley vs Tanahashi, but whatever. I’m not even a big Tanahashi fan anyway so what do I care. I think Naito would have been a better opponent for Punk.

If we get Okada vs Hangman then that will rule. Rainmaker vs the Buckshot Lariat.

Anything other than AmDrag vs ZSJ is a mistake.

Who do I need to pay to get Darby vs Hiromu?

• Like 2

I’m happy we’re getting Hangman vs Okada. He just lost the belt and he can’t go down the pecking order too much if he’s meant to be the face of the company for years to come, a big match is a good thing and we know it’s gonna rule.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Who do I need to pay to get Darby vs Hiromu?

So you're asking for someone to either suffer a horrific injury or die in the ring or at ringside. That's not quite fair. 

To fantasy book Mox I'm going Mox/Shooter vs. Yano/Shibata. 

As soon as they announced this show I assumed Omega vs Okada was headlining but now that we're less than four weeks away I'm assuming the show ends with Omega returning and staring down Okada (and I'll probably be wrong in that assumption as well). 

I’d like to see a rematch to Hangman vs Ibushi from 4 years ago

Tony owns the footage they can build it up as a rematch 4 years in the making. Both men have skyrocketed in that time, the parallels in their careers, aside from how management treats them but even then it feels like the rug was pulled out from under Page in favor for Punk, are there. It could be a big match I’d like to see Page go over this time but it’d be a sweet match.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

Okada vs Ricky Starks.

How about Chaos vs Team Taz? Goto/YOSHI-HASHI/Wato/Romero vs Starks/Hobbs/HookHausen works. 

I know I said Yano vs MJF probably wasn't happening, but after Dynamite I could totally see TK fucking with MJF by sending Yano down to discombobulate him for 5-10 minutes. Maybe throw in a referee fast count for good measure.

• Like 1

How things have changed. CM Punk needs surgery, there's confusion whether Punk's relinquished the AEW World Championship, a battle royal will be on this week's Dynamite, will then wrestle Jon Moxley in the main event in that show with the winner going for the interim AEW World Championship at Forbidden Door.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

So Moxley wins Interim and Okada keeps his belt, then we transition to an Adam vs. Adam feud. 

...well, as long as it makes the promoters happy, I guess.

EDIT: If on the off (as in in a zillion years off) chance that Adam Cole ends up winning the International Wrestling Grand Prix Championship, I will be cry-laughing over here. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Call me crazy, but I kinda hope White beats Okada for the belt and we get him vs. Cole/Page instead.  That'd free Okada up for a more interesting match.  Probably ain't happening, but I think I'd like it better.

White in the three way title match makes more sense cause it would involve the BC/Elite/UE storyline that has been bubbling. But I’d prefer the four possible guys in singles matches cause three ways are lame 80% of the time 

same. my preferred match is Okada vs Hangman.

hell, even Switchblade/Hangman would be a banger.

if it HAS to be a 3way, Swichblade/Hangman/Cole makes sense. but the triple threat, regardless of defending champ, is easily the least appealing option out there.

Hangman beat Cole clean. TWICE. in a promotion that doesn't do many rematches. How is this feud still going?

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, twiztor said:

Hangman beat Cole clean. TWICE. in a promotion that doesn't do many rematches. How is this feud still going?

Cole is the monkey paw we get for all the good things that the promotion has done in 2022.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2