DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 4/22/2022

At least Tone took my feedback and got to booking the match. I think Danhausen actually challenging Hook, and getting him out of silent mode, tells us something. I imagine Danhausen is going to get a little more offence than everyone else probably a nearfall - given Hook has no sold piledrivers etc, someone wrestling sneaky-style probably is the best approach. 

On a related note, I am amazed noone has to my knowledge stolen Marufuji's Perfect Inside Cradle on  TV.

24 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

At least Tone took my feedback and got to booking the match. I think Danhausen actually challenging Hook, and getting him out of silent mode, tells us something. I imagine Danhausen is going to get a little more offence than everyone else probably a nearfall - given Hook has no sold piledrivers etc, someone wrestling sneaky-style probably is the best approach. 

On a related note, I am amazed noone has to my knowledge stolen Marufuji's Perfect Inside Cradle on  TV.

I guess one should not be shocked that it took the abuse of potato chips to finally get Hook's attention? That is pretty evil, though! Just like the popcorn abuse earlier in the week and later that evening, only worse!

• Like 1

• I would have liked an insert promo with Ishii (translated) talking about what having a shot at the tournament meant to him, that kind of thing. Excalibur mentioned it later in the match, but it wasn't the same.
  • Best spot of that Serpentico/Archer match was the release vertical snap suplex where he went flying across the ring.
  • Garcia really needs to add a Shaky Legs Kneedrop or Kofi Kingston Boom drop or something.
  • They made a very conscious decision to have Jade be the problem solver for 3/4th of that match, really all of it considering how definitive the finish was. It's probably the right decision longterm and I do admit it's fairly satisfying to see a clear Pro Wrestler totally dismantle a MMA person, but it didn't make for a very good match. This is the first time, in 30 matches, that Jade really felt like a complete act to me. She's got some of those little Danielson tricks now (used more organically). The Baddie Section adds a lot. Sterling is effective. Power and presence and confidence in her spots. I always knew she had the work ethic and the trainers and the natural athleticism but this is the first night where I'm really on board on the idea that the act has legs and most of the roster should probably be fed to it now and not two years from now.
  • Like 9

37 minutes ago, Matt D said:

• Garcia really needs to add a Shaky Legs Kneedrop or Kofi Kingston Boom drop or something.

agree, I was thinking that he really need to add more “sports entertainment” elements beyond the Kangols. I get that part of the long term story is that he’s not actually meant for this, but it needs to be awkward and corny. That spot he did where he had Eddie on the ropes and was running in place on him is a good start, add some show/comedy to that move and add something like you’re talking about.

I’m assuming Nese and whoever else joins Sterling’s team attack Hook and Danhausen during their match and we get the beginning of the mismatched tag team angle. 

If I were making a Rampage comp, that Garcia/Kingston match would be on there. Loved it. 

The main was pretty good, but I’m not sure why Shafir was put in that spot or why it needed weeks of build considering how it went down. There were really only a couple of moments where they actually accomplished telling the cocky complacent champ biting off more than they could chew story. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, (BP) said:

There were really only a couple of moments where they actually accomplished telling the cocky complacent champ biting off more than they could chew story. 

Because it was about how there’s nothing that’s more than Jade can handle. 

30 minutes ago, JLowe said:

agree, I was thinking that he really need to add more “sports entertainment” elements beyond the Kangols. I get that part of the long term story is that he’s not actually meant for this, but it needs to be awkward and corny. That spot he did where he had Eddie on the ropes and was running in place on him is a good start, add some show/comedy to that move and add something like you’re talking about.

I like the idea of Garcia somehow becoming amazingly effective with it and Jericho creating a monster he can’t control. But I’m not sure what that looks like in practice.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Because it was about how there’s nothing that’s more than Jade can handle. 

Unless they already have a plan for getting the belt off of her, then that kind of conflict-free storytelling isn’t going to do Jade or the division any favors long term. They won’t keep getting away with building up tomato cans just because there are no credible threats. It’s the kind of holding pattern title reign that made Britt’s run with the world title feel unimportant.

The only obvious story is turning Velvet back once she’s done enough reconnaissance to find Jade’s weakness, and who knows how long it would take them to get there since she just turned and they spent four weeks doing promo packages for a competitive squash. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Unless they already have a plan for getting the belt off of her, then that kind of conflict-free storytelling isn’t going to do Jade or the division any favors long term. They won’t keep getting away with building up tomato cans just because there are no credible threats. It’s the kind of holding pattern title reign that made Britt’s run with the world title feel unimportant.

So the vibe I'm getting is that they see Britt as a pillar and they see Jade as The Rock.

• Like 2

I forgot Toni just showed up. At least that’s an intriguing matchup, even if I don’t think the outcome is in question. 

Adam Cole hasn’t become fast forward material for me because he usually has good opponents and I want to like him. But every match that’s unfolded in front of my face begs not to be watched by these eyes.  Sorry Bay Bay, ya boring. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Jade is really good on offense and is charismatic, but has such a long way to go with the rest.  She sells submissions like she’s being mildly inconvenienced.  Like she’s kinda puzzled and nonchalantly trying to figure her way out if a Chinese finger trap.  Shafir wrecked her leg for a good while, then she hit a pump kick and landed on the bad leg like nothing.  Jesus.  If Danielson is training her, he really needs to explain that you don’t just flip a switch and stop selling when it’s time to go back on offense.  Then she went right from being in another leg submission to hitting her finish.  Shit, even Luger acted like it was hard to do the Torture Rack after being figure 4’d the whole match.  Fuuuuck.

I hope they have no long term plans for Shafir, because the “Jade doesn’t give a shit” lead up, and then this match, made her look awful.  

10 hours ago, JLowe said:

Shafir looked visibly frustrated at one point when trying to lock in a basic leg submission and Jade had no idea what to do and just kind of sat there. 

Jade's lack of selling in this match was really noticeable. She sold the knee strikes at first, but no sold everything after. Also, there was an obvious edit when the did this ridiculous fast replay, and suddenly Jade appears outside the ring.  I thought the match was not very good overall.  Jade is an amazing physical specimen, and performs some really incredible moves but her fluidity in the ring is missing. Granted, we have really seen the expectations frankly on women's wrestling raised over the last 10 years.  I am hoping they are re-toll Statlander to take on Jade. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I know I should be better than this but I can’t help it, I just can’t take Adam Cole seriously when he pulls his knee pad down and dude looks like he squats 150. It’s visually absurd that he’s presented as credibly putting down Ishii. 

"It's a body business" - Cole looks more like a endurance runner frankly.  He makes the Bucks look big...

I tried being nice before, but Shafir really sucks. If AEW can work a miracle with her somehow then there’s probably isn’t anyone they couldn’t do that with.

HOOK SPEAKS and he sounds pretty cool. 

I figured Ishii would lose, but it’s always fucking rad to see him in an AEW ring and the match was great.

My weight loss goal is to eventually just look like Ishii.

• Like 2

Marina Shafir had wrestled on Dynamite all but once before getting a title shot against Jade Cargill. She really wasn't properly showcased or built up for this title match at all. It really did her a disservice and killed her heat.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I know I should be better than this but I can’t help it, I just can’t take Adam Cole seriously when he pulls his knee pad down and dude looks like he squats 150. It’s visually absurd that he’s presented as credibly putting down Ishii. 

So when I say this stuff it’s a problem, but not when anyone else does?

I mean, a lot of folks here insist that size doesn’t matter in 2022, but I think the correlation between “overall health of the business” and “presence of dudes who legit look like they will kick your ass” is stronger than some folks are willing to admit….

• Like 2

Yeah, Cole and his kicks looked frankly ridiculous. Basically prodding at that guy with his tiny-limbed super kicks.

RE: Jade -- UFC champs like Jones or Khabib would go year(s) without showing weakness against inferior competition. There's no reason to try and give her a narrative 'weakness' for the sake of it in a vain effort to get over some nobody at her expense: find some more women talent that actually merit being in the ring with her & physically/athletically could be perceived as threats, and go from there.

Edited by A_K

Lee calling Team Taz "Calvin and Hobb(e)s" made me want Calvin Tankman in Team Taz

Starkman calling Lee and Swerve "Keenan and Kel" was the better burn. This week's chapter of this program goes to to Team Taz.

So happy King got a solid win like that, Backfists and Sara Del Rey references are Pro Wrestling(tilde)

Cole and Ishii was fantastic but I may have Archer vs. Serpentico on my MOTY list. Beating up Serpentico despite the surprise dive while his music was still playing warmed my Suzuki Gun heart (Ichiban!)

• Like 3