DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 4/22/2022

Man, there are a lot of matches booked for a one-hour show.  Farewell, ring entrances.  We hardly knew ye.

Adam Cole (thisisrampage) Baybay vs Tomohiro (might be dropping his first name) Ishii: I read this was a good one but I avoid spoilers. 

Jade Cargill vs Marina Shafir: Awesome how the TBS title is defended so much on TNT because this is a taped show.  Doubly so because BOTH participants probably need the help.

Lance Archer vs Serpentico: we'll make some time on this match.  Hopefully Jake doesn't get a live mic on this one.

Daniel Garcia vs Eddie Kingston: this should bring the sweet sweet violence.  Looking forward to it.

Hayter & Storm town hall!

Swerve & Keith Lee town hall!

Again, Jesus, that's a lot to squeeze into an hour.

• Like 5

Oh man, Tomohiro Ishii will fucking lay it in.  Adam Cole is good at setting up the usual Ishii spots.  MAN!  That was a LARGE Superplex!  Cole needs a few days off to recover from this and the Hangman match.  This match is fucking great.  WHAT A FUCKING LARIAT!  FUCKERY! LOW BLOW!  COLE WINS! COLE WINS!  That was fucking great. HOOK SPEAKS!  Jesus, Lance Archer launches Serpentico with a Something Suplex.  Lance Archer and Wardlow will be fun.  Garcia's eyes are especially beady tonight,  King's Road Kingston is the finest Kingston.  Garcia moves like Randy Orton early.  Eddie gives Garcia wads of offense.  Man, Garcia is so nasty on offense.  THIS match is fucking great.  This is fucking great- Garcia countering everything is genius.  Garcia is such a surly punk.   EXPLOIDAH!  BACKDROP DRIVAHHH!  URICAN!  Garcia assuming the role of 1998 Jun Akiyama and Eddie Kingston assuming the role of Taue/Misawa was fucking beautiful.  PRO WRESTLING!  Harwood vs Wheeler will be good. Marina Shafir is as tall as Jade Cargill.   Soooo Jade Cargill is really GOOD?  Shafir bumped all over the ring for Cargill.  I loved the PAncrase shot during the kneebar.  This match is waaaaay better than I thought it would be.  Great Jumping kick by Cargill into the Camera shot!  That was dynamic.  This match is fucking great.  I wasn't expecting that.  I guess it pays to listen to Bryan Danielson.  And now I want to see Marina Shafir vs Serena Deeb.  AEW FUCKING RULES THE WORLD.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I was expecting Jade vs Marina to be a Brock/Goldberg match. 3 minutes of getting shit in and a finish. But as it turns out, Jade can wrestle a match now.

Eddie Kingston's match ruled. Seeing a Kingston match right after an Adam Cole match, it really hit home how Eddie is a much stronger performer. He just wins your heart every time he's out there.

• Like 5

A good thing about KOR beating JB is that it got me believing that Ishii could win here today.

I woke up early and watched Jay vs Shooter and Ishii vs MiSu from Windy City Riot, so this was the second best Ishii match I have watched today.

You will never believe this:

Hold on to your hats and make sure your monocles are securely inserted, maybe charge up your defibrillator before clicking on the spoilers in case your heart stops from sheer surprise:

Spoiler

Suzuki and Ishii hit each other really hard.

Archer yeeted Sir Pentico real good.

Garcia vs Mad King was pretty great! 

I want Kingston vs Taichi at Forbidden Door. For the right to represent Kawada's legacy. Loser has to wear Misawa's colours for a year.

I love that my tablet autocompletes both "Misawa" and "Kawada"

The Baddies throwing popcorn was awesome.

Shafir is the most underrated wrestler on these boards!

Another white hawt Dynamite coming right up! Ladder match, UE 10-man, Deeb v Shida, Archer vs Wardlow, DAX vs CASH!!!

I am so happy they didn't call Stone Pitbull Ishi-ee this time!!

I LOVED Kingston's Ohtani tribute!!! He's the best.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I thought Jade/Marina was awesome, lived up to my expectations as I had high hopes going in. I loved the build up of Jade getting to 30-0, holding off on her wrestling for over a month since Revolution, definitely added to this and gave her more of a special attraction vibe. Got a good amount of time, had some nice memorable spots throughout, and both got some shine. Can't ask for much more than that from those two IMO. Jade is excellent and just exciting to watch, has a feel of you never know what she's gonna do next, I love it.  Thought Shafir looked completely solid here and not bad at all, her best yet. I hope her push continues from this. I'm here for more from both as they continue to grow from their experience levels. Red Velvet & Kiera leading the Baddies Section were on fire here as well, laying in shots on Shafir, giving Jade kisses of appreciation, and the popcorn assault. Good stuff all around.

Rest of the show was good, with Kingston/Garcia the obvious standout. I always wish Archer was more than his brief 'monster build to get slayed' pushes but Archer/Wardlow should be an absolute blast and different from most all of Archer's previous big matches. Another highly stacked Dynamite to look forward to from here. 

• Like 7

I was worried about how the Marina/Jade match was going to go down because of that real whiff of a match on Dynamite with Marina/Skye Blue but Jade really led that match through.

Also the baddie section being front row adds alot to Jade's shtick. Real Flock Vibes

• Like 5

I’m probably just tired and grumpy after yet another long stressful week but outside of the very excellent Kingston-Garcia match that ranged from “eh” to “meh”. I didn’t see that Jade-Shafir match the same way, and I’m probably just salty from soooo much Adam Cole this week.

• Like 3

Jade is really good on offense and is charismatic, but has such a long way to go with the rest.  She sells submissions like she’s being mildly inconvenienced.  Like she’s kinda puzzled and nonchalantly trying to figure her way out if a Chinese finger trap.  Shafir wrecked her leg for a good while, then she hit a pump kick and landed on the bad leg like nothing.  Jesus.  If Danielson is training her, he really needs to explain that you don’t just flip a switch and stop selling when it’s time to go back on offense.  Then she went right from being in another leg submission to hitting her finish.  Shit, even Luger acted like it was hard to do the Torture Rack after being figure 4’d the whole match.  Fuuuuck.

I hope they have no long term plans for Shafir, because the “Jade doesn’t give a shit” lead up, and then this match, made her look awful.  

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

Jade is really good on offense and is charismatic, but has such a long way to go with the rest.  She sells submissions like she’s being mildly inconvenienced.  Like she’s kinda puzzled and nonchalantly trying to figure her way out if a Chinese finger trap.  Shafir wrecked her leg for a good while, then she hit a pump kick and landed on the bad leg like nothing.  Jesus.  If Danielson is training her, he really needs to explain that you don’t just flip a switch and stop selling when it’s time to go back on offense.  

I hope they have no long term plans for Shafir, because the “Jade doesn’t give a shit” lead up, and then this match, made her look awful.  

Shafir looked visibly frustrated at one point when trying to lock in a basic leg submission and Jade had no idea what to do and just kind of sat there. 

• Like 2

Ok I was wondering if I'd seen the same match cuz I thought Jade vs Shafir was a terrible mesh that really highlighted both wrestlers' weaknesses. Jade couldn't sell the limbwork well enough and wasn't good enough at mat wrestling to make it look like she was doing anything but laying there while Marina worked holds, and Marina's too green to take Jade by the hand at anything else so it was a clash of styles that just fell flat. Also didn't help that the crowd was dead at the end of four hours of show.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep.  Also, for as great as TK is at old school booking, he forgot about the one where if your heel champ shits on a challenger, they’re supposed to get comeuppance by losing or barely escaping with the title.  This was HHH/Booker levels of burying a challenger and then giving them nothing.

• Like 5