DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 4/20/22

The Natural

I'm late.  Had to take my son to some high school thing.  Man, they set up the first big bump of the match.  Then Punk works the injured knee.  This match is from 1976.  Punk does a fucking Spinning Toehold!  I love that this crowd is so hot for a super old school match.  Great fucking first nearfall.  And a great second nearfall.  I refuse to think about the reversal of the Figure Four.  Awesome kickout of a CrossRhodes/Harley Race Piledriver.  Punk with a rollup!  That was the fifth best match of 1974.  Adam Page is as tall as CM Punk.  TK read on the board the endless bitching about Wheeler Yuta's gear!  I await new bitching!  Man, Yuta is a fucking dynamo of violence.  Brock Anderson is taking a major assbeating.  Lee Moriarty looks fucking great.  I don't think I've ever seen that suplex before.  JESUS!  What a fucking finish.  Bring on New Japan.  Aaannnnd the announcement is..... AEW and New Japan are doing a SUPERSHOW!  Holy SHIT!  Ishii is going to kill Adan Cole next week.  But he's so nice.  Jay White is a SUPERSTAR (who lost to Chris Sabin two weeks ago.) !   I love that Wardlow is now Hannibal Lechter!  Man, the Butcher got in a lot.  Eddie Kingston vs Daniel Garcia should be awesome.  Kyle O'Reilly and Jungle Boy was good.  KOR is all dynamic and shit.  Jungle boy is all explosive on his comeback.  WOW!  KOR goes over clean as a sheet!  Wardlow vs Lance Archer should be good.  Hey!  It's one half of the Workhorsemen!  He doesn;t win!  HOOK VERSUS DANHAUSEN!  HELL YEAH!  Dynamite DAN!   Britt Baker DMD is over in Pittsburgh!  Danielle Karmela is perfectly fine setting up Baker for the giant babyface comeback in the heart of Brittsburgh!  I see that Baker got the We're Working Stiff Now memo.  WHOA ! Dax Harwoodr vs Cash Wheeler!  THAT should be good.  Andrade is really great.  What will Darby Allin do THIS time?  The STING reveal was great.  STING IS AWESOME!  So fucking great.  This match is fucking great.  Andrade can supply an assbeating.  Darby will accept an assbeating.  BUFF JOSE!  Darby Allin and Andrade are made for main events.  AEW RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Maybe he should have less to say so some of it has a better chance to register. 

I think Tony Khan felt the same as the line-up was said again during Darby/Andrade.

Edited by The Natural

Mixed feelings on this show.

Opener was dope. Hangman coming out after was awesome. Hopefully Page retains over Punk eventually but I don't see it.

BCC murking those cats was awesome. I'm all for 1-2 segments of those guys murdering jobbers every week. Also, it makes me laugh that after Arn complained about being "in limbo" since Cody left, Brock is about to take some high profile ass whippings.

Not sure I understand KOR going over Jungle Boy. Any value KOR has is as a tag, and even then, I really don't understand what the ue guys bring to the table that you aren't getting from multiple other roster spots. 

Hook is awesome. Danhausen is also awesome. This will rule.

Tay and Sammy look like they're embracing the reactions. I don't really find them unlikeable online, but if folks do, and they're itching to boo T&S, better for them to lean all the way in to the boos than to steadfastly pretend they aren't happening, like another AEW power couple was want to do...

Britt Baker doesn't do a lot for me. 

House of Black promo was cool as always. 

Wardlow's eventual pummeling of MJF will be glorious.

Main was good, but again, it feels like you're putting the wrong guy over. Andrade is dangerously close to being "just another guy." HE needs a clear, decisive feud win, and Darby could've eaten this loss via chicanery without any issue. I just don't get it. Imagine having Andrade and not wanting to strap a rocket to him. 

Edited by just drew
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Hell, that Page promo, a week after Sammy insulted his abilites as a father was justificiably fired up babyface stuff. 

I just realized that Ethan Page is now assuming the role of Sammy's dad.  That was Page yelling at his fucking up teenage son.  WHOA! DEEP!

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, The Natural said:
Somehow the man in the mask didn't pass out from oxygen deprivation.

There were a bunch of timing issues on the show tonight. I could tell a few things ran long and the main had time cut from it. The faster he could get through the read the faster the main could start. Bryce was even yelling the time cues to Andrade & Darby very audibly at the end there.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

There were a bunch of timing issues on the show tonight. I could tell a few things ran long and the main had time cut from it. The faster he could get through the read the faster the main could start. Bryce was even yelling the time cues to Andrade & Darby very audibly at the end there.

Yes. It's still an AEW issue that needs fixing. That's why I was in favour of Omega/Danielson and both Danielson/Page matches going on first.

Edited by The Natural

AEW has all of these Mephistopheles figures that morally compromise the faces. You have to become dark and sinister to beat Black, you have to become unabashedly cruel to defeat MJF, etc. Feuding with Dan Lambert turns you into a dickhead. And then it’s just a couple of dickheads hollering at each other. 

• Like 5

BCC killing everyone all the time is something I could watch for at least an entire summer.

Jungle Boy vs. KOR felt like one of those PWG undercard matches where they told the guys to go long when they really shouldn't have. I didn't get the point.

Far more storytelling opportunities open up if Andrade goes over Darby. I didn't get that one either.

The point of this Organic Dan Lambert Face Turn / Sammy Is Cody But On Purpose thing is to... get Ethan Page over? Okay. I'm in.

TK handing the announcement off to Cole and White was savvy. Jay White radiates Main Event Energy in a way that very few others do. Just knock off that "era" shit Gedo wrote for you and let the casuals watch you wrestle circles around their faves.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Be honest, did anyone here actually know what the president of New Japan looked like?

I...I.....I did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Punk/Dustin ruled, love that they got so much time. Nonstop action right in to the BCC trios tag. When they announced this match late, I had thought the card was already crazy stacked as it was - this week could've used last week's overrun. 

Punk/Hangman faceoff had instant big fight feel, great reaction. Huge announcement delivered. Very much looking forward to the dream matches. That now has me thinking Punk wins the title and goes on to headline Forbidden Door in Chicago.

Jungle/Kyle was good stuff. Some great near falls but then the finish felt real out of nowhere and shocking that it was straight up clean. Wardlow/Butcher was fun, Wardlow/Archer should be awesome. 

The massive pop for Danhausen challenging Hook was greatness. Welcome back DMD, the promo shot at Toni Storm was a nice dig. 

Sammy/Tay segment was bizarre in that it did feel like of all people, Dan Lambert was going to be on the face side of things. I can dig fired up Ethan Page. Scorpio's reign was pointless and now we get another TNT ladder match.

Main event was great, though the ending felt like it came so suddenly and quicker than expected. The suicida into the coffin was fantastic. It's Sting!!!!!!... dressed as Sting!!!!.....in a STING MASK!!! never gets old.

As always with AEW, so much to look forward to that it's got Excalibur on the verge of passing out! I'm still very much looking forward to the Jade/Marina showdown and hope they end up delivering something good that surprises people.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My thoughts: 

I feel like Punk/Dustin were watching soime old tapes and thought. "You know what? We could work that exact same match in '22 and it would get over, even with folks who prefer the more.. ahem.. athletic style in AEW."

Punk/Hangman stare down. That's how you do it folks. When it comes to the big title, you don't do endless rematches, "Championship Contention" matches, or whatever the folks up North call them, or out of nowhere multi-man tag matches. Instead you have someone declare that they're reaching out for the gold ring, DO SOMETHING pretty meaningful to prove they want the gold ring of a title shot, and the champion going "Ok.. here we go, better bring your a-game, cuz opportunity doesn't knock twice.... (unless you're Adam Cole and prepared to near-die in a rematch)

Yes.. yes... give us a weekly segment of the BCC murdalizing some fools. I will watch with sadistic glee. Am I the only one who wants someone to pull the old jobber routine when they found out when they were working with Vader or the Steiners, and just check out after being announced to face them? "I came here to wrestle, not have my head kicked in"

YES! Forbidden Door PPV! Please figure out a way to get Toru Yano to team up with Orange Cassidy in a match. (Honestly, the only team I'd want to see more in cross-fed would be Miz and MJF... the "I'm going to backstab you before you backstab me, but you know I'm going to backstab you before you backstab me, so "I know you're going to..." (you know what, fuck it, I ain't typing that shit out again, you get the point). Besides. Miz needs to up his promo game again and there ain't no heat magnet on the stick these days like MJF.

Sammy/Tay are hot and have sex! with each other! Booooooo them! I guess the fans will be rooting for crazy ass spots, instead of one of the two men in the match. I'm cool with that.

Terry Funk (though not dead) has possessed Sting, and drove him to these repeated crazy spots. Change my mind. (actually, don't. you can't)

Even the lackluster feuds (Although I'm pretty sure that Darby/Sting/Hardys vs Andrade Family Office is better than 90% of the feuds in WWE) seem to get kickass blowoff matches in AEW

The thing I like is that they give us frequent title matches (and in the case of the TNT title, changes) with the "lesser" titles, but the main titles? (The women's, men's and tag titles?), much less frequent and thus more meaningful.

Oh and next week: Hook is on Dynamite-hausen!

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 6

I think the only thing I'd have changed about the NJPW/AEW announcement is that, in retrospect, I wish Jay White's first AEW appearance was tonight versus the cameo + one or two matches he had previously. Him walking out isn't as huge as the "coin drop", but dude is a star and has the potential to keep growing - if he shows up, you do what you can to make it feel like a big deal.  (More impactful, excuse the pun.)

Otherwise, I'm pumped for everything else about this announcement. NJPW just ran an event in the Chicago area last weekend, their first. I anticipate hopefully more big names from the NJPW roster showing up for this one as it's a PPV. Punk has talked about facing Okada in Chicago. I'd bet the two companies probably run with that as the main event. There's a limited amount of time and opportunity to get Okada in there with Danielson and Punk. If you're going to co-promote with more to come in the future, I think you have to do one of those matches immediately.

That said...I am most excited because I am within short traveling distance to Chicago. Personally, I felt NJPW dropped the ball by not running Chicago sooner (namely, when folks like Omega and the Bucks were still on their roster - we saw how that turned out for those three plus AEW). I hope to get a ticket to this one...with luck, it'll be my first live pro-wrestling show in over 20 years.

Edited by Teflon Turtle
  • Like 8

Did AEW miss a step by not calling an audible and giving Page a program with Sting before going into the Punk one?

Guy is working matches and doing ridiculous spots that I doubt anyone thought possible when he first came in. How long can it last? Strike while the irons hot, I think it could be an interesting program to do. Especially if it leads to them doing something more with Darby.

• Like 1