DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 4/20/22

The Natural

I could be way off but I don't think Danhausen/Hook is a good idea right now. Maybe in a year when Hook has even more credibility and Danhausen is more established. Danhausen probably should have started out flummoxing QT Marshall for a month or something. Right now it's two meme-driven acts which don't have enough substance yet and you need to protect them and keep them away from one another, maybe? They might prove me wrong.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I could be way off but I don't think Danhausen/Hook is a good idea right now. Maybe in a year when Hook has even more credibility and Danhausen is more established. Danhausen probably should have started out flummoxing QT Marshall for a month or something. Right now it's two meme-driven acts which don't have enough substance yet and you need to protect them and keep them away from one another, maybe? They might prove me wrong.

Didn't Danhausen wrestle like a shooter gimmick before he adopted the Danhausen gimmick?  DANHAUSEN IN THE BCC!

Danhausen's is an amusing lower/mid-card novelty act. Liked his interactions with Regal: harkened back to the Tajiri/Regal vignettes which were amusing at the time. Not sure why they'd have him against Hook rather than with Hook - but we'll see. If they want to lean into that whole anime-like vibe with Hook, have Danhausen as his tag-along who constantly gets in over his head and needs rescuing by the nonchalant partner.

Yes, for the poster further up, the Sting-dressed-as-Sting was great. Vignettes-within-a-match like that get nice pops.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

I don't mind the Danhause/Hook thing because, going by Dynamite, the crowd was way into it. The pops gave me a bit of early AEW Orange Cassidy vibes with the crowd reaction.

Plus, I think this might lead to some sort of soft alliance/friendship because Hook destroying Danhausen would look kinda mean, he may be an asshole, but he's not 100% a dick

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, eikerir said:

I don't mind the Danhause/Hook thing because, going by Dynamite, the crowd was way into it. The pops gave me a bit of early AEW Orange Cassidy vibes with the crowd reaction.

Plus, I think this might lead to some sort of soft alliance/friendship because Hook destroying Danhausen would look kinda mean, he may be an asshole, but he's not 100% a dick

"Liked" for the Guardians reference.

• Like 1

I don't think it's too complicated to figure out. Hook is over with meme fans. Danhausen is over with meme fans. You put them in the same angle it overlaps those two segments and becomes double the value. They can let it lead to whatever. But you put two viral guys in the same thing it's going to get even more attention and love from that segment of the fan base.

Then it's an easy transition (as someone else already pointed out) to have The Acclaimed attack them before there's a finish. You get the meme team vs the viral rap act. Something that is for sure going to be over with the 18-25 crowd. And AEW has shown, they really try to provide something to scratch every itch. How wrestling was meant to be done. A little something for everyone.

Acclaimed do their raps. Danhausen does his curses. Hook is utterly disinterested for 95% of the time. But once The Acclaimed start beating the shit out of Danhausen, Hook snaps and wrecks them. He can mess with his buddy but those two assholes can't. Then Hook can walkout while The Acclaimed is left for dead while Danhausen makes funny shocked faces or whatever. That's six weeks worth of content right there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I don't think it's too complicated to figure out. Hook is over with meme fans. Danhausen is over with meme fans. You put them in the same angle it overlaps those two segments and becomes double the value. They can let it lead to whatever. But you put two viral guys in the same thing it's going to get even more attention and love from that segment of the fan base.

Double the value or diminished returns?

• Like 2

I'll disagree and say that Hook isn't a meme act. This dude, every time he walks out, gets some of the biggest reactions of the night. People love this dude. There is no one else like him in AEW, WWE, or anywhere else right now. I've made the Goldberg comparison before, but if TK plays this right, Hook is going to be their Goldberg. Keep getting him reps in the ring, start getting him involved in smaller angles like they're doing, then by the end of the year position him for bigger feuds and don't let him lose.

Did he start out as a meme? Yeah, but the first time he entered the ring and murked a dude he was legit. Kid is special. Really fucking special. And if he can talk half as good as his dad did on promos then he's going to be the biggest star in the company one day. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I'll disagree and say that Hook isn't a meme act. This dude, every time he walks out, gets some of the biggest reactions of the night. People love this dude. There is no one else like him in AEW, WWE, or anywhere else right now. I've made the Goldberg comparison before, but if TK plays this right, Hook is going to be their Goldberg. Keep getting him reps in the ring, start getting him involved in smaller angles like they're doing, then by the end of the year position him for bigger feuds and don't let him lose.

Did he start out as a meme? Yeah, but the first time he entered the ring and murked a dude he was legit. Kid is special. Really fucking special. And if he can talk half as good as his dad did on promos then he's going to be the biggest star in the company one day. 

Yeah maybe meme wrestler is the wrong term for him. There's nothing ironic about his ring work or presentation. He's not a joke. He's over with the much younger primarily social media crowd is what I mean. Danhausen is more meme wrestler. Hook is super sayan zoomer wrestler I guess.

Goldberg was fucking jacked and murdered dudes with power moves. Wrestling is different now so you can book Hook similarly. But he won't have that same main event push. At least not without putting on more size. Not a juice comment, just needs to fill out more. He has that lean lanky teenager body look. As proficient as he is with judo and amateur wrestling and what-not, he isn't gonna be steam rolling your Keith Lees like Goldberg steamrolled The Giant & Reese & Roadblock. (Although That Bear County dude he squashed was similar to Roadblock size so what do I know lol).

Same kind of aura. But much different booking style to keep him over. I don't mean this to sound cute, but ECW Taz is the much more apt comparison. He's not gonna be mowing down entire factions with press slams and spears. But you treat him as legit and he can realistically have that Taz can beat anyone one on one kind of push.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Hey, can we get the male wrestlers to stop using "bitch" as the go-to insult for each other?  Besides the misogyny and the overuse, Jade Cargill is over here using it to refer to herself in a positive/strong manner.

Its Jade's catch phrase so no one else should be stepping on her gimmick.

Is it just me or does Jay White crib a lot of his character from Connor McGregor?

• Like 1