DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 4/20/22

The Natural

58 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Wrestlers age weirdly depending on a lot of different things. Genetics, mileage, injuries, and lifestyle choices being the primary factors I imagine.

Jericho, Dustin, HHH, and Regal are all roughly the same age. Presented as a top guy not too far past his prime, presented as a wily old vet on his last legs, just retired and limited to a special attraction role for 10 or so years before that, and fully retired for 10 years respectively.

Sting and Arn are the same age too. One guy is still jumping off balconies once a month, while the other has been restricted to manager duty for 25 years.

Well...when you draw the ire and hatred of fans that they’ll burn your airplane, it’ll take some tread off the tires quickly.

God bless Ron Wright.

25 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Is Britt normally this shaky and nervous on live promos?  The best part was when she threatened to "wipe your face with the mat."  I was hoping she'd also say her opponent had matched their meet.  Why do yinzers wave those towels at things that are not Steeler games?  Do they do it at weddings and funerals, too?

That very audible "90 SECONDS!" time cue fucked up the finish for me because it made me nervous they wouldn't make it.

LOL @ "NO JOSE DON'T TAKE OFF YOUR SHIRT!"

Excalibur must be watching 80s Micro Machines commercials and chugging Rockstars to prep for these promo reads.  Jesus.

Cool, well-shot promos, BUT I have no clue what the House of Black is on about.

Yeah, what are those well dressed Satanists on about?  My hope is they aren't done beating the shit ouf of Fuego.  Whether or not Micro Machine style ads are a good idea for AEW, that was tremendous voice work from the Man in the Mask.  On thing's certain, nobody walked away from last night unimpressed by the results of Jose's shirt shred.  Bring on goddamn Wardlow!  I don't think Britt was nervous, I think she was gassed.  You pose some great questions that Steel City boosters need to answer for.

• Like 2

I feel Forbidden Door is kind of a wait and see. I mean ideally it's like Punk vs Naito, Moxley vs Tanahashi, Ospreay vs Omega, Danielson vs Okada, Hirumo vs Darby, Page vs Ibushi and Joe vs Shingo. Just banger after banger of top tier matches especially from the New Japan guys that haven't been around in America in a while. 

Most likely we're getting some tags and a bunch of matches where the winner has to be pretty obvious and a BIG serving of the Bullet Club Saga. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Is Britt normally this shaky and nervous on live promos? 

She's a lot better than she used to be, but live mic public speaking has never been her strong point. I think in this case, though, she was mostly just out of breath from her match.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Yeah, what are those well dressed Satanists on about?  My hope is they aren't done beating the shit ouf of Fuego.  

I assumed the promo was directed at Fuego with multiple references to fire and the sun, and I'd be happy to see Fuego die for our sins again.

As much as I value JB higher than KOR, I think this was the first time they announced Kyle from Vancouver (first time I realised he was Canadian anyway) and that made me think Jack was taking the loss here. 

Was momentarily confused at the start when Punk walked out the "heel" tunnel before I realised it was just one of the arenas they flip presentation in.

As long as I get ZSJ against one of Danielson, Moriarty or Angelico then Forbidden Door will be a massive win for me (would especially love it if Tony could give IDLES a few quid to use "Mother" for Zack).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

Wrestlers age weirdly depending on a lot of different things. Genetics, mileage, injuries, and lifestyle choices being the primary factors I imagine.

Jericho, Dustin, HHH, and Regal are all roughly the same age. Presented as a top guy not too far past his prime, presented as a wily old vet on his last legs, just retired and limited to a special attraction role for 10 or so years before that, and fully retired for 10 years respectively.

Sting and Arn are the same age too. One guy is still jumping off balconies once a month, while the other has been restricted to manager duty for 25 years.

Go back 20 years ago and Dustin was in the worse shape of the 4. 

Arn does not get hurt he probably goes for a good number of years but Sting is really special. 

• Like 2

In another board, someone asked why you like AEW. It's because one a week almost without fail on my TV I get a match like CM Punk-Dustin Rhodes that is wrestling focused, with no run-ins or goofiness. FTR-Young Bucks was as good as a tag team match as you ever want live on your TV. Yeah, some stuff really does not work but the stuff that does really does. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

As much as I value JB higher than KOR, I think this was the first time they announced Kyle from Vancouver (first time I realised he was Canadian anyway) and that made me think Jack was taking the loss here. 

Because it was his first AEW singles match.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

As long as I get ZSJ against one of Danielson, Moriarty or Angelico then Forbidden Door will be a massive win for me (would especially love it if Tony could give IDLES a few quid to use "Mother" for Zack).

Oh man, Zack Sabre vs Colt Cabana would be good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Britt normally this shaky and nervous on live promos?  The best part was when she threatened to "wipe your face with the mat."  I was hoping she'd also say her opponent had matched their meet.  Why do yinzers wave those towels at things that are not Steeler games?  Do they do it at weddings and funerals, too?

I caught that too. I'm kinda in the camp that she was just winded, but after having been out for a little bit, and also being out there with two Steelers players in her hometown, I wouldn't blame her for a bit of nerves either. Cannot agree with you Go2Sleep that a live mic isn't her strong suit, though. This was a rough one, but she's had great promos in the past. I was just there live in Feb for the Rosa contract signing and she killed it.

Edit: Have to tag you down here because mobiles being a little weird @Go2Sleep

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

In another board, someone asked why you like AEW. It's because one a week almost without fail on my TV I get a match like CM Punk-Dustin Rhodes that is wrestling focused, with no run-ins or goofiness. FTR-Young Bucks was as good as a tag team match as you ever want live on your TV. Yeah, some stuff really does not work but the stuff that does really does. 

Also, we got O'Reilly vs Jungle Boy, a singles match in an ongoing feud, and the heel won clean. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, matt925 said:

Ringside fan premade a sign so they could spoil danhausen. Great job man, I hope you enjoyed the show. 

Think you're missing the whole picture here...

The match before the Hook match they had a sign that said TK please sign Bill Collier (one of the best indy workers in PA). Then during Hooks match the guy on our left help up a sign saying thank you for listening to us TK with an arrow pointing to a sign on the right, which was a girl holding the original sign they took to the last Pittsburgh AEW show asking TK to please sign Danhausen.

It was a two sign thing saying thank you for signing Danhausen like they asked for.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

I assumed the promo was directed at Fuego with multiple references to fire and the sun, and I'd be happy to see Fuego die for our sins again.

Was momentarily confused at the start when Punk walked out the "heel" tunnel before I realised it was just one of the arenas they flip presentation in.

I hope you're right about Fuego and the House.  I too had no idea Kyle O'Reilly was a hoser from Van-COO'ver, but this makes a whole lot of sense.  Note: I didn't see a KOR match until a couple years ago.  Was Jungle Jack being a little quick with Christian's advice pre-match?  I loved the post match disappointment.  That's how ya sell a loss!  No doubt Christian's gonna need to make an example of the young Perry boy before too long.  I am looking forward to that heel turn more than just about any that I can remember.  I think we can all agree that a cantankerous Christian is the best possible Christian. 

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

I love the sounds of all these potential Sabre bouts.  Did Colton and Junior ever lock horns in the Far East?

46 minutes ago, Pete said:

Highlight of the show for me.

For me it was Max's respectful intro cue for 'Mr. Roberts'.  Goddamn it was great to hear Jake's raspy ramblings on a Wednesday night.  I don't expect it, but I'd love to see more Jake Roberts and Max Friedman hangs.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

Give me Okada at Forbidden Door, give me full on Rainmaker entrance. Give me Okada just drop-kicking fools beautifully. Give me Okada telling someone like Fish or O Reilly they should be on 205 Live (like he did Scu*rl). Give me Okada at the end of the show with a big showdown with someone to set up his next appearance. 

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Just listened to the always enjoyable Observer post-Dynamite show.  Were ppl as confused as Bryan and Dave by Wardlow being in his gear after he was handcuffed at the door?  They suggested they needed something further to explain all this.  I'll place myself in the camp that didn't need anything further explanation, but I'm thankfully amused at the minor complaint.  

Mark Sterling literally said "They can help you get dressed" when the guards were handcuffing him though, so it did get an explanation but I think Bryan and Dave just missed it

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

For me it was Max's respectful intro cue for 'Mr. Roberts'.  Goddamn it was great to hear Jake's raspy ramblings on a Wednesday night.  I don't expect it, but I'd love to see more Jake Roberts and Max Friedman hangs.  

LORD, yes. Find someone who looks at you the way MJF was looking at Jake Roberts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

Yeah, but I don't like Colt's chances of making the PPV with presumably half the usual spots available for AEW guys.

Stuff like this would be great if anyone hangs around for a subsequent TV/Youtube taping though. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Yeah, but I don't like Colt's chances of making the PPV with presumably half the usual spots available for AEW guys.

Stuff like this would be great if anyone hangs around for a subsequent TV/Youtube taping though. 

Yeah, I don't think that would make a PPV but definitely Rampage. 

• Like 1

I am pretty sure it was RevRay on DVDR Twitter who said it but Sting wrestles like a guy who was told he only has a certain number of months or years to live.   If he starts pulling out the light tubes we need to start worrying about his health

HOOK vs Danhausen is such a weird match to book.    HOOK should crush him but if you do you could then it kind of means that AEW sees Danhausen as someone once called him the AEW version of the WCW Willie Coyote mascot.  But if you try to make Danhausen look like Orange Cassidy in the "he looks like a joke but can actually wrestle" guy it kind of makes HOOK look bad.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Only Sammy Guevara could turn Dan Lambert 100% face.  I still feel bad for Conti, who went from being an over babyface to being the person Sammy graphically sucks tongues with for heat.  

I agree with you especially because this sort of character leads to a lot of toxic bullshit from fans but she has GREAT HEEL facial expressions and this douche-bag act they have can be a hot act. Like, Tay as plucky babyface had a ceiling especially with the self-imposed limitations AEW has with the women's division and her own limitations bell-to-bell. This act is going to get her on TV every week and they're already touring around together, like hitting AAA in a few weeks. Honestly, it's a net-positive for both of them, I think. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Hagan said:

I agree with you especially because this sort of character leads to a lot of toxic bullshit from fans but she has GREAT HEEL facial expressions and this douche-bag act they have can be a hot act. Like, Tay as plucky babyface had a ceiling especially with the self-imposed limitations AEW has with the women's division and her own limitations bell-to-bell. This act is going to get her on TV every week and they're already touring around together, like hitting AAA in a few weeks. Honestly, it's a net-positive for both of them, I think. 

Here is the weird thing - if you take to time to watch Sammy's Vlog he can come across as a really nice dude. In fact, the vlog is actually a bit of a mess right now with this heel turn for them. Tay too - she comes across in real life like an incredibly nice young woman. But I think this can do wonders for her. But PVZ is a perfect heel too

• Like 2