DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 4/20/22

The Natural

4 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Ringside fan premade a sign so they could spoil danhausen. Great job man, I hope you enjoyed the show. 

HE HAS BEEN CURSED AFTER I SEND DANHAUSEN ALL THE MONIES!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Did AEW miss a step by not calling an audible and giving Page a program with Sting before going into the Punk one?

Guy is working matches and doing ridiculous spots that I doubt anyone thought possible when he first came in. How long can it last? Strike while the irons hot, I think it could be an interesting program to do. Especially if it leads to them doing something more with Darby.

I'd rather he and Darby get a brief run with the tag belts.

I don't understand why Andrade did not win here. Dude is yoked out of his mind, superb bell to bell, charismatic as hell, looks and carries himself like a star, and can cut good enough promos in English now. He's ready. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 5

So I'm guessing Darius is either hurt or sick or something since he isn't on next week's show either. Maybe he was the original plan for the 6 man but last minute couldn't do it so they went with Brock Anderson instead?

• Like 1

How late in the show the main event started showed once again AEW needs a more experienced producer. The show was otherwise good.

One of the things I like about AEW is it's obvious when two guys who really want to work with eachother and put on a specific type of match get the latitude to do so. Jericho/Kingston was an example and Punk/Dustin was another. Just two guys going at it for their mutual love of the sport. I'm interested to see what Dax and Cash will do against eachother for much the same reasons.

I like both Jungle Boy and KOR but Jungle Boy is much more deserving of a singles push, even if he does hold one of the tag titles. Having him advance a round or two in the tournament would be a good way to start to nudge him in the direction of a singles guy.

As much as I'm looking forward to Danhausen wrestling again and as impressive as Hook has been thusfar, it's also a situation where neither guy needs to lose.

• Like 3

They changed Yuta’s gear. Good stuf - the blood pattern is a little on the nose but suits his physique so much more, and he’s still a really young guy so will bulk out like Danielson/Moxley. Whoever it is they brought into the company to improve the visual/audio presentation over the past 12-18 months should be lauded. Not a single gimp mask in sight.

• Like 1

Darby is a superstar with a very clear concept/image/story. Andrade is a muddled mess of various storylines clumsily put together (from the Chavo stuff to the Vicky stuff to the Pac stuff to the Hardy stuff all in a 9 month period). They need to seriously go back to the drawing board on presenting him as a singles star: Darby going over is right decision.

• Like 1

Just listened to the always enjoyable Observer post-Dynamite show.  Were ppl as confused as Bryan and Dave by Wardlow being in his gear after he was handcuffed at the door?  They suggested they needed something further to explain all this.  I'll place myself in the camp that didn't need anything further explanation, but I'm thankfully amused at the minor complaint.  

• Like 3

Someone on Facebook brought up that:

1. Dustin Rhodes is now 53.
  2. Ron Wright was the same age (give or take a year) as Dustin when he did the "feeble old man in a wheelchair" gimmick for Smoky Mountain.
  3. Sting is ten years older than Dustin.

giphy.gif

• Like 6

Wrestlers age weirdly depending on a lot of different things. Genetics, mileage, injuries, and lifestyle choices being the primary factors I imagine.

Jericho, Dustin, HHH, and Regal are all roughly the same age. Presented as a top guy not too far past his prime, presented as a wily old vet on his last legs, just retired and limited to a special attraction role for 10 or so years before that, and fully retired for 10 years respectively.

Sting and Arn are the same age too. One guy is still jumping off balconies once a month, while the other has been restricted to manager duty for 25 years.

• Like 2

I can't believe I haven't seen a single screenshot of the sign in the crowd that had Hook throwing crossfaces at a cartoon blunt for 4/20.  The internet disappoints me.

• Haha 2

Just bullshit random thoughts as always...

Punk and Dustin was GREAT!  

I wanted Wardlow to pull a Jack Reacher and snap the handcuffs when he was told they were taking them off.

Every powerbomb by Wardlow on Butcher was frightening.

Hook vs Danhausen in a battle of the meme wrestlers people claim to like unironically!

GREAT decision to have Adam Cole and Jay White cut TK's promo for him.

That's twice now they've been in Pittsburgh and someone had a sign in the front row begging TK to sign what I assume is some Pittsburgh indy guy I won't name.  Dude, you're embarrassing yourself.

The FTRpowers EXPLODE!  Can't wait.  I need promos with Harwood accusing Wheeler of lusting after Bret.

THE NIGHTMARE IS OVER!  YUTA HAS NEW GEAR!   LOOOOOOL who said they look like the opening credits of Dexter?  That's amazing.

The Sting in a Sting mask gag is always wondrful.

Kyle/JB was excellent and Kyle won clean with a king kong knee.  Awesome.

Only Sammy Guevara could turn Dan Lambert 100% face.  I still feel bad for Conti, who went from being an over babyface to being the person Sammy graphically sucks tongues with for heat.  

Is Britt normally this shaky and nervous on live promos?  The best part was when she threatened to "wipe your face with the mat."  I was hoping she'd also say her opponent had matched their meet.  Why do yinzers wave those towels at things that are not Steeler games?  Do they do it at weddings and funerals, too?

That very audible "90 SECONDS!" time cue fucked up the finish for me because it made me nervous they wouldn't make it.

LOL @ "NO JOSE DON'T TAKE OFF YOUR SHIRT!"

Excalibur must be watching 80s Micro Machines commercials and chugging Rockstars to prep for these promo reads.  Jesus.

Cool, well-shot promos, BUT I have no clue what the House of Black is on about.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7

58 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Wrestlers age weirdly depending on a lot of different things. Genetics, mileage, injuries, and lifestyle choices being the primary factors I imagine.

Jericho, Dustin, HHH, and Regal are all roughly the same age. Presented as a top guy not too far past his prime, presented as a wily old vet on his last legs, just retired and limited to a special attraction role for 10 or so years before that, and fully retired for 10 years respectively.

Sting and Arn are the same age too. One guy is still jumping off balconies once a month, while the other has been restricted to manager duty for 25 years.

Well...when you draw the ire and hatred of fans that they’ll burn your airplane, it’ll take some tread off the tires quickly.

God bless Ron Wright.