DVDVR Message Board

AEW/ROH Battle of the Belts II - 4/16/2022

Dolfan in NYC

This is taping tonight for air tomorrow. 

The Announced Card:

FOR THE RING OF HONOR CHAMPIONSHIP - Jonathan Gresham (c) vs. Dalton Castle

FOR THE WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) vs. Nyla Rose

FOR TNT CHAMPIONSHIP - Scorpio Sky (c) vs. Sammy Guevara

Use spoiler tags once the results come out.   Thank you drive through. 

• Like 2

SPOILERS: Full results within.

Spoiler

TNT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Scorpio Sky (c) vs. Sammy Guevara

Guevara got a huge boo coming out. We have to wonder if AEW will edit that for the broadcast. After a nice match, Sammy won after hitting a low blow. The crowd was not happy about this at all.

ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Jonathan Gresham (c) vs. Dalton Castle

The fans were into this match, and each guy got love from the crowd. In the end, Gresham won to retain. Then Sonjay Dutt’s new group did a beatdown.

AEW WOMEN’S CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Thunder Rosa (c) vs. Nyla Rose

This was the main event of the night and Thunder Rosa was incredibly over. Nyla Rose got in some strong spots, but this was not her night. In the end, Thunder Rosa pulled off the W to retain her title.

Sourcehttps://www.ringsidenews.com/2022/04/15/spoiler-results-for-aew-battle-of-the-belts-ii/

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

SPOILERS: Full results within.

Reveal hidden contents

TNT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Scorpio Sky (c) vs. Sammy Guevara

Guevara got a huge boo coming out. We have to wonder if AEW will edit that for the broadcast. After a nice match, Sammy won after hitting a low blow. The crowd was not happy about this at all.

ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Jonathan Gresham (c) vs. Dalton Castle

The fans were into this match, and each guy got love from the crowd. In the end, Gresham won to retain. Then Sonjay Dutt’s new group did a beatdown.

AEW WOMEN’S CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Thunder Rosa (c) vs. Nyla Rose

This was the main event of the night and Thunder Rosa was incredibly over. Nyla Rose got in some strong spots, but this was not her night. In the end, Thunder Rosa pulled off the W to retain her title.

Sourcehttps://www.ringsidenews.com/2022/04/15/spoiler-results-for-aew-battle-of-the-belts-ii/

SPOILERS:

Spoiler

Ugh. The TNT Championship has been a right mess since Miro dropped it to Sammy Guevara. Guevara did nothing in his previous reigns either. I'd much rather have it go to someone like Eddie Kingston, PAC, Andrade or Malakai Black. Kingston my first choice, he should have ended Miro's reign. Sammy is unlikable and dragging Tay Conti down who was.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

I'm going to be honest and say they've done a poor job managing their champions since the days of Omega, Miro, Britt, and the Bucks. Lucha Bros and (not?) Jurassic Express were and are constantly overshadowed by other teams respectively. Hangman feels like an afterthought most of the time, at least since the Danielson matches. TNT title has been a poorly booked hot potato and desperately needs somebody like Andrade pulling a 6-8 month reign to reestablish it. Sky never felt like a champion and isn't on the level of most of their champions. How many times can you take off your sunglasses to make a serious point? Hard pass. They gotta fix this ASAP. Titles are supposed to be everything in wrestling and right now it certainly doesn't feel that way. I imagine FTR are going to win the tag gold and the love in will continue to drive me nuts. TNT title needs to escape the Guevara shroud of shit yesterday. If Hangman is really your homegrown star then he needs to be beating Punk and other top stars and feature regularly in important spots, not jammed in the middle of Dynamites. At least that's where we're headed with Hangmin thankfully.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

Spoiler

I haven't clicked any of the other spoilers in here yet. I just know there was a title change, and people don't like it. It's kinda funny, that doesn't really narrow it down for me at all because any of those three challengers winning their match would be pretty bad.

• Haha 4

The crowd is not firmly in the camp of Scorpio Sky, but Sammy Guevarra is clearly not the fan favorite.  It is a shame that you have a shoot heat machine in the ring getting booed, because this match is high spot greatness and both guys are more than willing to put their health at risk.  Page bleeds.  Guevara hits a low blow and the GTH while Tay Conti and Paige VanZant beat the shit out of each other.  Ball game.  I hate this booking.  It makes Scorpio feel like a placeholder, but it also begs the question how deep is the roster challenging for the TNT title?  Miro defended this mother fucker against everyone.  Now we have the second coming of the Cena / Orton feud with endless combinations of Guevara and Sky.  This is not good.  Having Ethan Page challenge next would be the logical booking and you could at least put a title on Page (who is a solid guy) and have Lambert cut more promos.  I await the Conti / VanZant feud.  I am hoping that Paige uses the switch kick she murdered Bec Rawlings with as her finisher.

Dalton Castle cuts a helluva promo.  YOU ARE A GOOSE IN MY ENGINE AND I AM GONNA LAND THIS BITCH IN THE RIVER~!  Jonathan Gresham comes out in full mascara and it is totally great.  CTHULU F'TAGN~!  There is a ring ropes running spot and then Gresham hits the Muta fingers.  I mark the fuck out.  This is very much an RoH television main event full of comedy and a clear match layout.  Perhaps a bit too clear.  Rehearsed things should not look rehearsed.  There is well scouted and then there is the chops in the corner spot that is akin to a Shaw Brothers movie where they forgot to hide the wires.  As much as I love the Octopus Hold, I like it better when Gresham is allowed to grind a guy down before applying the hold.  Code of Honor is upheld.  Lethal comes out with Khali Jr. who kills the Boys dead and then beats down Gresham and Lee Moriarty.  Khali the Younger then attempts to murder Matt Sydal but Samoa Joe comes in with a lead pipe, thank God.  I hate this tall Indian dude.  Joe will expose him in no time flat.  It will be hilarious when his big ass takes seven months to get up off the ground after a bodyslam.  His knees will be butter in two years tops.

Thunder Rosa is mega over.  I am digging the cowgirl hat.  Nyla comes out fists and fury, but I don't think it's going to be her night.  Nyla sells everything and still does the scary things that monster heels are supposed to do like mug for the camera.  She is a natural treasure.  As close as an American will ever get to Dump Matsumoto.  Rosa hits some really gnarly running spots that are pretty stiff.  Rosa subverts Rose's hangman ropes / flying knee spot that I hate.  Tony Khan lurks this board.  I really thought that Rose would commit to the Ganso Bomb after countering the rana, but that might be pushing the borders of safety.  Rosa wins with a rollup and that is your program.  Not a bad go home moment for the crowd.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

Allright!  Added extra wrestling!  Awesome!  Sammy Guevara!  Scorpio Sky!  YAY!  I hope Scorpio Sky so Dan Lambert can keep wearing the belt.  It's the battle of guys who seem like great guys on assorted vlogs!  Awesome, Sammy is wrestling heel.  The crowd is split!  Nobody seems to be cheering for Scorpio Sky, just for and against Sammy!  Sorry he's got a hot girlfriend, losers.  Sammy takes the first preposterous bump of the night by taking a cutter to the apron.  Now they are cheering for Scorpio!  Sammy is great at selling.  Nice Spanish Fly by Sammy.  SHOOTING STAR PRESS TO THE FLOOR!  Paige Van Zant and Tay Canti slug it out!  Page has more sensible footwear!  SAMMY CHEATS TO WIN!  WE HAVE A HEEL TURN!  Kiss her, Sammy!  Make the incels seethe!  AWESOME!   Hey!  It's Dalton Castle.  I love the Boys fidgeting like parakeets.  Castle is built for big arena wrestling, WHO KNEW?  The Boys are soooo great in this.   Fuck ROH, AEW needs to sign Dalton Castle.  Gresham does finger torture during the picture in picture.  He should do that during the Big Picture to get a try-out with the BCC.  Castle hits some really beautiful suplexes.  Man, Castle looks fucking great.  Oh man, the Boys are soooo awesome during the Bangoorang. Gresham won the match but Castle wins the night.  MILLION BILLION STARS.  Jay Lethal and his Giant From India beat the crap out of everyone.  Samoa Joe comes out to make the save!  Samoa Joe doesn't slaughter Gresham.  Yet.  The Boys were soooooooooo great.  Thunder Rosa is over in Texas!  WHODA GUESSED?!?  Nyla Rose has gotten the "Lay it in, Toni Storm is here" memo.    This is a good match.  Thunder Rosa should come to the ring with the Renegade Twins as the Girls.  They could incorporate peacock feathers and do synchronized dance moves.  Oh man, nice Death Valley Bomb by Nyla during the picture in picture.  They come back to the BCC striking section.  Tornillo by Rosa.  Fun nearfall with a Rosa powerbomb.  They Vader/Shawn Michaels the Vader Bomb but Nyla doesn't yell at Thunder Rosa.  They kinda ride it out to the finish.  I guess they had enough for 13 minutes, not 15 minutes.  The best thing on the show was Dalton Castle and the Boys.  AEW RULES!    

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Was rooting for Dalton just for the "land it in the Hudson" reference, I really hope he has still has a home in Ring of Honor whenever it goes regular. Wouldn't mind seeing him on Wednesdays either. Him and Gresham totally stole the show tonight.

• Like 7

So AEW basically have a heel vs heel angle going on because while Sammy and Tay clearly turned heel in the match;   Page, Sky, and Dan Lambert are still heels as well.  

Seeing this El Gigante wanna be standing near Jonathan Gresham is a mind fuck.   Thank god it is AEW because Vince would have fired Gresham in a heartbeat when he saw this diffference

• Like 2

Dalton Castle's BACK! Wait, no, not like that. Some performers get their gimmick over, every time, with just one viewing, and he's always been part of that prestigious company.

Nyla has really put the work in, especially at being a base. She has really good chemistry with Rosa, Riho, Ruby, and a lot of other regulars whose names do and don't start with R. 

• Like 6

Sammy feels like he’s Seth Rollins version 2: Uninteresting working heel, but a good working babyface who happens to be way too naturally unlikeable to really be a face, so he constantly feels off in whatever role he’s in. Dudes got talent, but he’s seemingly stuck in between roles and that’s not ideal.

Bright side, Dalton Castle got on TV and got to be Dalton Castle. Castle/Avalon feud into eventually becoming a tag team when?

• Like 6

I missed the start trying to find the channel at the hospital, and missed some sections while nurses were in the room checking on my wife. I couldn’t really hear much either.

Opening match was decent, hate that Sammy won, I feel like they’ve almost killed the TNT title over the last 3 months. Also, Sammy’s botch on the moonsault busted Ethan Page open, almost looked like a broken nose too. I kind of like whoever said they should have Ethan win the belt as revenge,  it what I think they should do is bring Miro back with a vengeance and beat the hell out of Sammy, almost a squash.

I actually caught the ROH episode where they showed some of Gresham’s recent title defenses. I like him. No idea who Dalton Castle is, but The Boys were awesome and he and Gresham had a fine match. The post-match was definitely a much better way to debut Singh, but I’m still not the least bit interested in seeing him wrestle and this just seems like a weird miss from a company that pushes lots of “small” wrestlers and focuses on workrate.

I love Thunder Rosa, and I really don’t get the criticisms I’ve seen. Then again, I don’t watch joshi these days, and while I hear the WWE women are much better I value my limited free time too much to try and wade through that crap. Thunder Rosa has a good character, is a good wrestler, knows how to work crowds. She can fight stiff and she’s not afraid to bleed for the storyline. That’s all I need. I also like Nyla, she’s great at being a monster heel while apparently being about the nicest person in the company in real life. This was a great match, big moves and lots of convincing near falls and I honestly was thinking that Nyla could pull the win. That said, that match deserved 5 more minutes, the ending felt rushed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

They have so, so many interesting routes for the TV title. Don’t go near Ethan Page - that is not the answer. Scorpio Sky & Page race is run unless as tag team. They can rebuild all the titles but Tag, TV & dare say even Heavyweight have been a shit show in terms of storylines for weeks / months. Sammy can be an interesting champ but he needs to develop & breathe away from the Jericho & ATT stuff. Heavyweight .. it’s time for Summer of Punk.

• Like 1