DVDVR Message Board

TOP TEN LUCHADORES

I'll kick things off with my very early-2000s heavy list: Atlantis, Black Warrior, Emilio Charles Jr, Dr Cerebro, Dr Wagner Jr, Rey Bucanero, Satanico, Shocker, Super Crazy, and Villano III.

• Like 3

Ehhhhhh, personally, I will go with:

Rey Misterio Jr

Juventud Guerrera

LA PARK

Ciclon Ramirez

El Felino

Angel Azteca

Negro Navarro

Dr Cerebro

Pirata Morgan

Blue Panther

• Like 4

Having done a deep dive on El Dandy a few months back I'm still very high on him. Its a shame most US fans associate with a Bret Hart promo. Brother was so good at being so fluid on the mat. Watching matches where he barely runs the ropes in the first caida to draw you into when he EXPLODES with offense is utterly compelling television.

But watching El Dandy means I'm watching other guys who captivated because pro-wrestling is a dance and requires  partner. Negro Casas, Emilio Charles, Blue Panther and so many others vibe with El Dandy and get what he is doing. Santito will always be my #1 but El Dandy belongs the conversation of all time great!

James

• Like 3

7 hours ago, twiztor said:

as someone who primarily knows lucha due to its exposure in major national US promotions, let me be the first to say.....

youtube links are appreciated. 

I previously posted this in the "Wrestling Machine v. Wrestling Machine" thread:

This match though is crazy fun as Dandy has a hair match with Emilio Charles jr.

Just typing "El Dandy vs." as your search parameter on YouTube is going give a bunch of really good stuff (including the bloodbath triangle hair match with Santito and Negro Casas)

James

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Over the last two or three years lucha has made up about 80% of all my wrestling viewing, so coming up with names wasn't too hard.

Outside of Santo and Casas I'd say my top ten (in no particular order) is:

El Dandy, Super Astro, Satanico, Blue Panther, Rey Misterio Jr, Psicosis, Eddy Guerrero, Gran Apache and Silver King & El Texano.

Others I keep an eye out for are Villanos IV & V, Dos Caras, Los Destructores, Los Diabolicos, Espanto Jr, Skayde, Tzuki and Mascarita Sagrada.

And, for my sins, I've always had a soft spot for Mil Mascaras, but as all of his best stuff is in Japan (vs. Destroyer & Jumbo) I've went with guys who had lots of great stuff in Mexico as well as other places.

• Like 5

It's probably something like Atlantis, Blue Panther, La Parka, Rey Mysterio Jr., El Dandy, Satanico, Negro Navarro, Ultimo Guerrero, Dos Caras, and Cavernario?

But starting last week I've been watching a ton of 1984 CMLL matches with plans on burying myself in Lucier's lucha channel - the good TV seems to start in 1985. I'm starting to pick up on stuff I didn't quite grasp before, like the majesty of Emilio Charles Jr.

• Like 3

The thing is... that promo makes me wish Bret and El Dandy had legit hooked it up on TV. I think Bret knew Dandy's reputation and was trying to pay him lip service despite the tone of the promo. Bet he would rather work Dandy for 30 than Goldberg for 3

James

• Like 2

16 hours ago, J.H. said:

The thing is... that promo makes me wish Bret and El Dandy had legit hooked it up on TV. I think Bret knew Dandy's reputation and was trying to pay him lip service despite the tone of the promo. Bet he would rather work Dandy for 30 than Goldberg for 3

James

He was definitely throwing some shade at Malenko though. In his book, he was pretty pissed at Malenko for causing his groin injury and not checking on him later. IIRC, Malenko picked him up for a superplex but dropped Bret on the strut that connects the ring post to the turnbuckle and not the actual turnbuckle and that messed Bret up. Bret said something like, "the pint sized Dean Malenko didn't have the strength to actually place me where I needed to be on a superplex spot and instead dropped me on the turnbuckle connector".

Edited by cwoy2j

10 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Satanico
Blue Panther
El Dandy
Atlantis
Pirata Morgan
Bestia Salvaje
Virus
Black Terry
Solar
Negro Navarro

Whoa, that's a good one. I'd sub in Super Astro, Demus, and Porky for (and it hurts to do this) Virus, Solar and Navarro. And I have to boot Bestia for LA Park. 

It's hard to not crown a list like this with Rey Rey or Eddy but they kind of transcend everyone. It's just not fair. 

Okay, because I have to write it up proper:

El Dandy

Super Astro

Super Porky/Brazo de Plata

LA Park

Satanico

MS-1

Atlantis

Blue Panther

Pirata Morgan

Mocho Cota

That's the list for today, anyway. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

17 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

I couldn’t do it. The top 300 luchadores could all be good picks anywhere on the top 10 list. That’s how many good ones there were and they were all that good. 

This is a completely fair assessment of the question at hand. 

• Like 2