DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 4/13/2022

The Natural

Find someone that loves you as much as Meltzer loves AEW (I enjoyed the matches on the show quite a bit but these ratings for mostly "TV style" matches feels like a stretch):

CM Punk vs. Penta Oscuro – 3.75

Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus (c) vs. reDRagon  – 4.5

Chris Jericho, Daniel Garcia & Jake Hager vs. Eddie Kingston, Ortiz & Santana – 4

Keith Lee & Swerve Strickland vs. Powerhouse Hobbs & Ricky Starks – 4

Minoru Suzuki (c) vs. Samoa Joe (ROH World Television Championship) – 4.25

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I think the complaints are more execution than "ugh, a big guy." I like big guys. I'm happy he's here and I'm looking forward to seeing what he has. Some people will disagree on that, but yeah the thrust of the discontent seems to be trying to heighten expectations following what some saw as a "dream match" main event and failing to live up to those post-match lights-out expectations. And the discontent is only amplified by the reality that this company is generally more effective on meeting their audience where they are than this. 

It didn’t even need to be fancy. Just seeing a giant walk down the entrance ramp, walking past wrestlers half his size, could have worked. Or even from the crowd like people are saying.

I’m pro-giants. We have no idea how he will be as a worker. The Great Khali comparisons are strictly Very Tall Indian Man. He is a former basketball player. That doesn’t mean he’s going to be good but the man is an athlete. Hopefully he has the skills and ability to stay healthy to have an exciting career.
——

I will also like to cast my vote for Hayter and Hobbs being cool.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Find someone that loves you as much as Meltzer loves AEW (I enjoyed the matches on the show quite a bit but these ratings for mostly "TV style" matches feels like a stretch):

CM Punk vs. Penta Oscuro – 3.75

Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus (c) vs. reDRagon  – 4.5

Chris Jericho, Daniel Garcia & Jake Hager vs. Eddie Kingston, Ortiz & Santana – 4

Keith Lee & Swerve Strickland vs. Powerhouse Hobbs & Ricky Starks – 4

Minoru Suzuki (c) vs. Samoa Joe (ROH World Television Championship) – 4.25

I really don’t know or do stars but my gut says I would subtract .5 from all except Swerve-Lee vs Team Taz which might actually deserve another quarter star.

• Like 1

TBH I didn’t even think the lights out piece was that bad. It’s a small detail, and meaningless beyond an end-of-week annoyance. Bigger problem for them is there is zero structure to the booking again. Bringing ROH onto the screen as an isolated-promotion is clumsy, because they’ve already had difficulty defining what AEW is again. If you watched in 2-week increments there’s basically nothing carrying over fortnight-to-fortnight, and the stuff that is has v little thematic engagement. It’s ADD / Mad Hatter Tea Party TV that’s “all change!”. Way too much going on, needlessly too many people involved, and zero engaging storylines on any of their title belts. All becoming very random.

Edited by A_K

17 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I think the complaints are more execution than "ugh, a big guy." 

i think in general you're correct, but my complaint is absolutely "ugh, a big guy". specifically a big guy that didn't look like he knew what he was doing. that claw hold was terrible. i got Giant Gonzales flashbacks.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i think in general you're correct, but my complaint is absolutely "ugh, a big guy". specifically a big guy that didn't look like he knew what he was doing. that claw hold was terrible. i got Giant Gonzales flashbacks.

This is interesting. You see a guy that size and you immediately think "neck vice, neck crank, overhand chop, choke from behind, headbutt, choke slam, knee crusher, bear hug, big boot, hanging tree slam." Maybe you think of some Baba things like the neckbreaker drop or the Russian leg sweep. You know that he shouldn't be getting off his feet, but I kind of wonder what the answer is here. What kind of things do you want a guy that size to be doing in 2022. What offense can he have that can feel fresh and be interesting. Maybe the answer is just the above and it's down to how he uses it and that's all you can hopeful. Then it becomes on his opponent to create motion and emotion, through selling and what shots they're able to get in. I don't think people seem super satisfied with that.

What would look right, would have impact, would feel appropriate, would be more interesting? What do we want this guy to master? What simplex or complex things might look breathtaking when done by a guy his size but not take you out of a match or feel too collaborative? Or does it just have to be what it's always been because of physical limitations and so as not to mess up every other match on the card. I'm ok with him being a prop for good opponents to have interesting matches against but I don't think that's going to fly with the crowd.

Could he do a Billy Robinson backbreaker? Could he manage the looser Emerald Frosion? What about a gutwrench suplex? Malenko's double underhook flip? Even a full nelson slam where the sheer height of it is impressive? A Uranage? Maybe out of the one handed backbreaker position even? Even if he doesn't go down with the guy? I don't think he should be doing moonsaults, but the factory guys should be trying to figure out a few big, competent, safe visually impressive spots that the guy can do that will pop the crowd without being goofy.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, zendragon said:

I don't know about him being a great athlete generally once people get past 7ft tall they start to become ungainly (usually the best player in the NBA isn't the tallest one) and he didn't seem to be the exception 

Sorry, but I gotta be that guy. The top three players, odds-wise, to win this season's MVP are all bigs. Nikola Jokic and Giannis are listed as 6'11", Joel Embiid is listed at 7'0".

Edited by John E. Dynamite

According to Fightful Select, it was Jerry Lynn who pitched the Satnam Singh idea but he's not in the doghouse or anything:

Who pitched the Satnam Singh debut, more backstage reaction

In a follow up to Wednesday night's story regarding Satnam Singh, we've learned more details behind the idea to have Satnam Singh appear by going "lights off/lights on."

Fightful Select has learned that Jerry Lynn was the primary name who pitched the idea. Lynn had been applauded by much of the roster for his work in All Elite Wrestling, and that it was largely chalked up to "you can't win em' all," backstage, with no heat or even pessimism sent his way directly. The ending didn't play well with most fans or wrestlers in the company, and AEW founder Tony Khan noted in the days that followed that they could have executed it better. One of the wrestlers we spoke with backstage said that they weren't surprised to learn that it was Lynn, as that was an oft-used tactic in ECW shows and assumed that was the influence, but stressed their personal belief is it shouldn't be used for an unknown.

Several wrestlers that Fightful spoke to said that they understood the business aspect of bringing Satnam Singh in, with one wrestler saying they know that those who train Singh will work to close the holes many saw in his offense immediately.

It was reiterated to Fightful that Lynn has been responsible for many "great ideas" and helped put together a lot of great moments as well. 

• Sad 1

Okay, looks like Fightful is immediately retracting that hah.

I need to correct a story we ran tonight regarding Satnam Singh's debut. We incorrectly reported that Jerry Lynn pitched this angle. I apologize for the error, and we'll do better moving forward. -- SRS. 

• Haha 3