DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 4/13/2022

The Natural

8 minutes ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Indeed!  That's half of why it was so great!  It was a JYD shout designed to look visually like a Trump logo

Actually, looking it up now he did use the exact font JYD used!  I feel like an idiot because trust me, I was around in the 80's.  Visually it fooled me at first and I still want to believe he was trolling the rednecks in the crowd.  That or I'm too deep into politics......

So now I'm wondering why Trump jacked JYD's style!?

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
Just now, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Mea culpa, you are correct!

Sorry for the brief derailment, I'll see myself out

No worries! ?

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

INow they are using Battle of the Belts to service an ROH title match with two guys not even under contract.

They just moved every other ROH belt onto an AEW wrestler at the PPV. Use your context clues. Gresham is signed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah, I figured that was a reference to the Mid-South main eventer, not some meta level trolling. If a part of the audience took it that way, because they were too young to understand that reference, I can't help you there!

JR and Tony mentioned JYD right at the start of the show, and again when a Eddie was wearing the shirt. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EVA said:

They just moved every other ROH belt onto an AEW wrestler at the PPV. Use your context clues. Gresham is signed.

They never said he was signed. Deonna Purrazzo isn't signed either. Also, Vincent, Bateman, and Dutch, also not signed.

10 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Battle of the Belts still comes off like a C-level show that they haven't put much hype into at all. Really no one was talking about Battle of the Belts II this week. 

I didn't know there was a second one until I caught commercials during the matches I saw. I watched no AEW during the first one and was well aware of it weeks beforehand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Penta vs Punk was such a AAA match.  Tons of teases and near falls and dudes not tapping out to stuff they probably should've tapped to.  Punk goes to the Moxley wheelhouse and puts Penta over as a badass that he still beats clean.  

There is probably no bigger of a reDRagon mark than me, but putting JE over is the right move here.  You can't have your company champs playing second fiddle to FTR even if FTR is arguably the best tag-team on earth basking in the afterglow of their best week ever. I love JE because both Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus are crazy ass hot tags.  I do not miss Marco Stunt.  I like this JE run where they are serious fighting champions that are zero bullshit.  God bless the NOLA crowd for exploding after that sick near fall spot.  FTR taunting reDRagon with the belts they used to hold was the best.

BCC vs Gunn Club?  FUCK YEAH~!

MJF's ring jacket is the best ring jacket.  I dig it that he felt the need to fake Shawn fucking Dean out of position and also needed Shawn Spears as backup.  CAPTAIN SHAWN DEAN WINS BY COUNTOUT!  This is the best Sam Houston push since the push of Sam Houston.

JAS's into is the best.  Eddie Kingston is wearing a JYD tribute shirt. Holy shit...  It seems like an unknown combination of these guys have been feuding forever.  I'd really like to see P&P insert themselves into the tag-team picture, but I guess any program that gives you television time and keeps you relevant is better than nothing.  Daniel Garcia fighting through the Three Amigos was a great spot.  JAS wins by chicanery but Kingston gets in his Kawada slaps.  Kingston and P&P need two more angry Puerto Rican men on their team.   Dan Maff and Homicide, maybe?

Wardlow vs. The Butcher should be a decent hoss fight.

Marina Shafir is being booked like a nightmare even though she should be a relative underdog against Jade Cargill. The match with Skye Blue was a bit sloppy and doesn't really sell Marina as an Omega level threat, but at least she gives Cargill's Beyhive wannabees the Clubber Lang treatment.  In a proper world, Marina beats Jade and Jade goes through a month of giving Eye of the Tiger vignettes while torturing her own body and soul to reclaim her fighting spirit.

Jesus Christ, Swerve Strickland is like fucking Nightcrawler from the X-Men.  That agility, tho.  The chest assisted moonsault must make Keith Lee the Colossus of the team.  Ricky Starks is crazy over in NOLA.  He also has the terrible luck to be the hot tag against Keith Lee.  LEAPFROG~!  This match is everything I hoped it would be.  Right team goes over and Keith Lee does the job for the hometown dude.  

Jonathan Gresham is going to defend the RoH World Title on TNT.  

Nyla Rose being blinded by cake and accidentally killing Vicky Gurrerro is the best.

Not only does Minoru Suzuki get his championship entrance, he doesn't get his entrance music clipped.  Joe and Suzuki's chests are beet red seconds into the match.  Poor Minoru Suzuki is like zero and ninety nine on AEW television.  Ending is garbage.  This Great Khali clone is going to get his ass beat  Joe is going to kill him and then he is going to kill Dutt and Lethal.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A few days late with some random-ass comments...

JOE/SUZUKI!  Inject that shit into my veins, please.  I like matches that don't follow the formula and I need to see that more.  Two dudes beat the piss out of each other until one hits a big move and wins.  Fuck to the yeah.

JOKE'S ON YOU, HEIFER!  I LOVE CAKE!  AND VIOLENCE!  Nyla is a treasure.  Nyla for TNT champ please and thanks.

Jade's Baddies Section looks like every one of them has "If he can't handle me at my worst, he doesn't deserve me at my best" in a Notes doc so they can copy and paste it to socials at least once a week.

Punk/Penta was really good despite a little screwyness.  They did a really good job in the home stretch leaving at least some question as to who'd win despite all of us knowing Punk was taking it.  That's good wrestling.  If Alex Abrahantes is playing the dark priest role, he needs to put some actual incense into that thurible.  Yes, I just Googled "priest incense burner."

I wish JR would stop complaining about double teaming.  It's the house style and it's not going to change, so all he's doing is burying the wrestlers, the match, and the refs by bitching about it.

Speaking of, did he say Bill Watts gave "The Thump" to JYD and it was a version of the Oklahoma Stampede?  Didn't JYD in Mid South predate Williams by a year or two?  That's like saying the Cobra Clutch was a version of the Million Dollar Dream.

DVDVR Wokeass POC watch for the people who complain about it: FIVE people of color (including the ref) in the main event.  Nice.

LOL @ JR catching Excalibur offguard asking for a translation of Kaze Ni Nare.  AEW's glaringly underproduced announcers are one of its charms.

House of Black continuing the feud with Fuego?  That's something, I guess.

No Tay & Sammy on the show is a plus.  Scorpio's TNT title reign has been ass.  I hope they're working on a reboot for this belt because it's dying a death right now.

I'm all for Lee/Swerve being this generation's Andre/Snuka occasional team that features one guy jumping off the other guy's body.

Shafir/Skye really shows the need to have some 80's WWF style experienced jobbers instead of having your whole enhancement roster be made up of indy talent trying to get a break.

I LOL'd like a buffoon at Jay's gift box gag because I'm a 47 year old with 7 year old sensibilities.

Can somebody clue me in to the capitalized "DR" in ReDRagon's name?  I think it's a Davey Richards reference?  Or they just really like taking backups of their servers.  It's gotta be on of those.  Note: this joke is just for @J.T.

Wow, Gresham vs Castle for the ROH belt on AEW TV.  Craziest timeline.  Is Castle any good in 2022?  He was the last generation's Orange Cassidy (massively popular indy guy with a fun gimmick) for a minute but fell off due to injuries and ROH booking's shitty timing.

I LOL'd at the LETS GOOOOO guy and hope he becomes a meme.  Schiavone joyfully calling attention to him was so great.  And yes, fuck the "Allons Brandon" guy.  Really, they need to stop anyone from hanging their own bullshit signs from the hard cam rail. 

If you want the India audience that bad, just book some intergender like everybody else does.

I'm thinking the huge announcement is HBO Max, since that was the theory on the night TK announced he bought ROH and word was he had a big backup announcement ready since that deal was made at 6pm.

Thing that unnecessarily bugged me: two matches in a row, two guys with "hurt legs" using the injured leg to post up/push off to stand.  I'm petty.

FTR with all the belts is going to be awesome.

The new guy better have a running big boot called the Sikh Kick.

Was the crowd chanting "Monkey" for Ortiz?  That's awesome.  Eddie & PnP for trios champs.

Every other Owen qualifier has been star vs jobber and now they're booking a star vs star match?  Weird.

Man, good on Ricky Starks.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6

You know what?  I get it.

I was thinking about this whole clusterfuck at the end of the show.  I was thinking about how much of a bad reaction it got and where I was in contrast to that.  But really don’t think I’m that far apart.  

Yeah I’ve been dodging negativity to AEW.  But this not being great for the particular category of reasons it wasn’t great, are what is alarming.  

WWE would totally take a shit in the ring just like this.  They would totally bet big on another “lumbering Warlord” that physically has no potential in the ring other than looking enormous.  Yet it happened on Dynamite instead.  

Khan’s booking is overall fantastic and has also managed to improved as far as how it translates to producing a television show.  Pulling inspiration from the territories and Japan and ECW or maybe FMW.  It shouldn’t be any surprise that AEW might pull some  inspiration from wwF.  

But if you do that.  It absolutely has to be “you got your chocolate in my peanut butter” in its execution.  Remind those corporate dopes in Stamford how they used know how to do this shit.

Instead, for a lot of people from what was an otherwise fucking awesome show it damn near got swallowed whole by an angle that just wasn’t for me either.  

I’m reading that this Discovery Channel take over has the potential to be threatening to AEW and that it would be prudent to make some moves to increase its face value.  Laying foundation in India, announcing a streaming service, maybe a video game this year would certainly project value.  

Still stinks like corporate dogshit having to do it though.  Just like this angle.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

They never said he was signed. Deonna Purrazzo isn't signed either. Also, Vincent, Bateman, and Dutch, also not signed.

They don’t always announce when people are signed. The “____is All Elite” tweet is a social media thing, not an official button that gets pressed when people sign their contracts. Wheeler Yuta didn’t get his tweet until after he won the Pure belt (and more specifically, after people online pointed out he had never gotten an announcement), but do you REALLY think he wasn’t already signed after being featured on TV for 8 months and already being a part of a major storyline? Of course not. Gresham is signed.

Deonna would’ve dropped the women’s belt if she was available for that show, but she wasn’t. She will drop it to Mercedes (already crowned interim at that show) as soon as Tony and Scott work out the politics of it.

Nobody gives a shit about the six man belts. Not in the plans. Who cares.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

You know what?  I get it.

I was thinking about this whole clusterfuck at the end of the show.  I was thinking about how much of a bad reaction it got and where I was in contrast to that.  But really don’t think I’m that far apart.  

Yeah I’ve been dodging negativity to AEW.  But this not being great for the particular category of reasons it wasn’t great, are what is alarming.  

WWE would totally take a shit in the ring just like this.  They would totally bet big on another “lumbering Warlord” that physically has no potential in the ring other than looking enormous.  Yet it happened on Dynamite instead.  

Khan’s booking is overall fantastic and has also managed to improved as far as how it translates to producing a television show.  Pulling inspiration from the territories and Japan and ECW or maybe FMW.  It shouldn’t be any surprise that AEW might pull some  inspiration from wwF.  

But if you do that.  It absolutely has to be “you got your chocolate in my peanut butter” in its execution.  Remind those corporate dopes in Stamford how they used know how to do this shit.

Instead, for a lot of people from what was an otherwise fucking awesome show it damn near got swallowed whole by an angle that just wasn’t for me either.  

I’m reading that this Discovery Channel take over has the potential to be threatening to AEW and that it would be prudent to make some moves to increase its face value.  Laying foundation in India, announcing a streaming service, maybe a video game this year would certainly project value.  

Still stinks like corporate dogshit having to do it though.  Just like this angle.

The merger worries feel overblown.  Sure, always a 'who knows', but the show is cookin' in a way that they will no doubt have outside interest when the time comes.  So who knows if Discovery-Warner can even match what they might potentially be offered?  

The 'huge disaster' to close the show was, what, two minutes of a joyous two hour wrestling show?  It's interesting to see ppl focus so much attention on one silly mistake.  And it feels like it's more actual fans than casuals.  It's just another shining example of how our negativity-obsessed world operates.  Nationally televised Wrestling was so bad for so long that it's mindboggling that a company putting on (how many weeks in a row now (?) of) this level of high quality wrestling would have such a backlash for one dumb mistake they made.  And really the only mistake was turning the lights out.  Yeah, didn't work for me either.  Not the first time an AEW angle hasn't worked.    

How Santam Singh fares is a matter of time and patience?  WWE didn't birth the Giant wrestler.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but AEW has not, in it's short 3 year existence, used Vince McMahon's 'push it down their throats' booking strategies?  Highly unlikely they'll be doing it here.  Call me crazy, maybe it's my love of this company's product, or maybe it's my love of the Sonjay Dutt-Jay Lethal team, but I'm willing to see where this goes?

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Actually, looking it up now he did use the exact font JYD used!  I feel like an idiot because trust me, I was around in the 80's.  Visually it fooled me at first and I still want to believe he was trolling the rednecks in the crowd.  That or I'm too deep into politics......

So now I'm wondering why Trump jacked JYD's style!?

I was disappointed in that match becaue I was expecting it to end up as crazy as the Battle of New Orleans.  I knew TK and Eddie knew about that one.

16 minutes ago, alstein said:

I was disappointed in that match becaue I was expecting it to end up as crazy as the Battle of New Orleans.  I knew TK and Eddie knew about that one.

I think a future Eddie/Garcia singles or an Eddie/Jericho rematch has big, big potential for that

• Like 1

Having seen the Satnam Singh thing(h), I'm pretty sure I know exactly how it went down.

THE NETWORK: Hey, we want to make more money in the Indian market. Go debut that basketball guy.

AEW: Ah, you know, we would, but we've got this week's show booked up to the last minute.

THE NETWORK: No problem, here's an overrun.

AEW: ...shit, you got me.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The merger worries feel overblown.  Sure, always a 'who knows', but the show is cookin' in a way that they will no doubt have outside interest when the time comes.  So who knows if Discovery-Warner can even match what they might potentially be offered?  

This.  Look, I may be talking out my ass because as soon as Dave gets all Raymond Babbitt about the ratings I mash that "FWD 2 mins" button like it was my job, BUT with everything being so fragmented in the cable TV landscape to the point where anything that gets a decent amount of eyeballs is really valuable, wouldn't keeping a show that's consistently in the top ratings in its slot be a be a good idea?  I mean I know Dynamite might be more expensive than Dr. Pimple Popper or My 500 Pound Fiancee, but come on now.

• Like 2