DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 4/13/2022

The Natural

Oh man, the six-man is way better on second viewing.  The build up to Eddie Kingston finally tagging in has the crowd molten.  I just realized that Garcia pins Kingston.  I assume they will branch off into that feud which will be fucking great.  Jake Hagar understands pro tag wrestling and was awesome in that match.  

• Like 6

I love it that the Acclaimed are in AEW’s post show dark stuff spot. Like, the fans won’t go home fully satisfied without seeing them. Really feels like they are in that still-early heel New Day / New Age Outlaws phase where they are a hot feud and face turn away from the top of the division for a long time.

• Like 8

As suspected Punk-Penta was terrific!  I can't remember such a beautiful botch recovery.  Mostly Punk's forward selling, but Excalibur hit it on the commentary too.  The haters won't admit it, but Penta's 'spam taunt' placement was also beautiful.  JAS-Kingston/LAX airport segment had some 80s relish, and worked nicely where these so often fail.  Tag title match was terrific.  Very much amused by O'Reilly's post match heeling.  The FTR appearance was a sweet cherry on top!  Too quick on the cutaway from FTR-Red Dragon, but stoked for that match.  And the eventual triple crowning of FTR.  BCC v the Asses, fuck yeah!  The Wardlow-MJF stuff is reptitive and obvious, yet over like rover.  Clearly, it's working.  Not sure they need interviewers laughing about Shawn Dean getting a win, but certainly forgiven with that Great Butcher spot!  I've dug Danhausen fine without a mic, less so with.  I love the mid-card Nese-Sterling combo.  Yeah, let's get Hook back in the ring.  Andrade-Darby coffin match, right the fuck on!  Six man was fun, and I trust I'll like it even more uninterrupted by breaks.  I guess no one watches Dark, I hoped for better for Marina Shafir.  She'll require a bit of retooling if she's meant to be.  Let's start with some better entrance music.  And a manager (is Fonzie available).  Whether or not anything in that segment worked, Kiera and Velvet as baddies partnering up with Jade is fine by me.  Good (as always) MOTY promo!  Scorp-Sammy sounds like fun.  Starks/Hobbs-Lee/Swerve was excellent!  For every reason already mentioned in this thread.  Stoked for Gresham-Castle, and hoping it surprises a few ppl.  Minoru-Joe was absolutely the spectacle so many anticipated.  No interference (don't suddenly forget all the things this company does right when something goes wrong).  That main event and much of this show was captivating television!  

Ah, the much maligned closing of the show.  I'm with the 'only problem was the lights out' crowd.  Yeah, AEW has not learned from the Dark Order debut forth, don't lights out for unknowns.  With the lights on - the visual of that man coming up behind and towering over Joe was an opportunity sorely missed.  That said, I look forward to wherever this goes.  It seems silly to expect it to look anything like how WWE pushes their behemoths.  Long live Sonjay Dutt and his best friend Jay Lethal!  Absolutely love them!  And kudos to TK for Mid-South appreciation night and an Incredible show minus one questionable choice.        

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I love it that the Acclaimed are in AEW’s post show dark stuff spot. Like, the fans won’t go home fully satisfied without seeing them. Really feels like they are in that still-early heel New Day / New Age Outlaws phase where they are a hot feud and face turn away from the top of the division for a long time.

We're hitting the Summer of FTR but man I'm excited for when The Acclaimed pull off some cheap bullshit win. Either that or Anthony Bowens gets a shock win over Scorpio Sky. 

• Like 2

Rewatching the main event and I notice that Samoa Joe has William Regal level facial expressions.  He could carry a whole match with them like Regal could.  This match is fucking awesome a second time around.  AEW crowds are the best.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Rewatching the main event and I notice that Samoa Joe has William Regal level facial expressions.  He could carry a whole match with them like Regal could.  This match is fucking awesome a second time around.  AEW crowds are the best.

Agreed. And what was great/helpful too is that Suzuki's no slouch in that area either - that opening stretch was just as much of a mug-off as it was a chop-off. Loved it

• Like 4

Yeah, the problem with the final part was that it happened too quickly after the match.  They should have let everybody take in the finish of the match and belt change.  But it wasn't nearly as annoying knowing it was going to happen and it not being Claudio.

• Like 5

Jericho is so good at being a stable figurehead. I love that any time his teams get to stand tall he directs traffic to the hard cam so he can look cool and his crew can get the rub of standing next to him on national tv. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Yeah, the problem with the final part was that it happened too quickly after the match.  They should have let everybody take in the finish of the match and belt change.  But it wasn't nearly as annoying knowing it was going to happen and it not being Claudio.

A quick observation about the Singh debut:

This may have been the first time in AEW's short history that Schiavone kicked it into WCW mode where he's desperately trying to sell the shit out of something not-so-great. He's always enthusiastic, but last night his voice hit a volume and register that immediately sent me back to childhood. I of course say this with nothing but love.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MKERyan said:

Overall a great night of wrestling, but given how hot that crowd was for everything they liked, which was like 90% of the show, it’s hard not to focus on how SILENT they were for what they didn’t like.

Everything about that Marina match was bad. I would imagine her glacial pace was supposed to conjure thoughts of some methodical killer, but in reality is just came across as her looking like she didn’t know what she was doing. The less said about the “Baddie Section” the better, though I could totally get behind the idea of Red Velvet and Kiera Hogan as part of Jade’s entourage. 

Agree with most here that the Singh debut wouldn’t have been so bad had they not done the lights out gimmick, but even still, dude is going to stick out like a sore thumb on this show and I can’t see any future crowds reacting any differently to him, especially as part of this nothing angle with Lethal and Sonjay. 

The baddie section is over with a vtuber friend's discord (they regularly watch AEW and love/Simp for Jade)- though Red Velvet makes no sense there given her feud with Jade.

Singh needs to be in ROH to have any sort of chance.

53 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I need to update my AEW Best of Lists, but man,and it might be bias of just seeing it, Joe v Suzuki is going on it without a shadow of a doubt, the only question is how high.  That was everything I wanted from that match.

Please do!

10 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I don't know why they can only put on one women's match a week. I don't know why Shafir/Skye Blue was the match to do it with. Is Shafir even under contract? It seemed like they were maybe building her up as a possible contender for Jade Cargill. OK, fresh matchup for Cargill and all, but we can only get one women's match per Dynamite? And lots of other quality women aren't getting TV or match time on cable. It's problematic to me. And it's not just happening on the women's side either.

I've hit on this before, but AEW has a very rigid formula they stick to. 5 or 6 matches per Dynamite only. Only 1 of them is a women's match. Tonight they went outside their comfort zone and did 7 matches for the first time. But it was still just 1 women's match. I don't have an answer as to why they have settled on only 1 women's match a show. But I also couldn't answer why the format is so rigid sticking to 6 matches max (99% of the time). If they loosened up a little and didn't make every match 10-12 they could fit a lot more matches in, including women. I'm not saying do it every week or even all the time. But some shifting freedom to do 8 or 9 matches sometimes would go along way in alleviating the lack of women / talking point that the roster is too bloated.

I posted about it before but Nitro averaged 10-12 matches on 2 hour episodes. I don't get why AEW isn't willing to do that just once and awhile. TK is obviously a fan of all the matches getting time. But not all the matches need that much time. Sometimes a 5-6 minute sprint is a fun pallet cleanser. The cruiserweights thrived on that in WCW.

10 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

Yikes. You know something went wrong when TK has to ask Meltz to do damage control for how bad that ending was. Clearly that reasoning was fed to Meltzer directly from TK. And guess what, wrestling fans don't care about your international TV deals. If you can't find an effective and creative way to debut someone without pissing your audience off, maybe don't do it until you do? From my opinion that was the worst segment in AEW history. It wasn't that offensive but it's the building up having an over run for the first time ever. It's doing the lights out gimmick for someone zero percent of the audience will know. It's all for financial reasons in an international market and not because it was meant to be good.

The rest of the show was pretty fucking great, but this is all anyone is talking about. Big booking mistake.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I have no issue with them debuting Singh as they do need to build their own stars, but doing it in the "overrun" spot AND with a lights out gimmick was just a really bad idea. Do a backstage segment or something with him attacking someone mid-show, or... literally anything other than what they did. There was no way that was going to go well.

11 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

They could have had Suzuki vs Joe at the halfway point so that the show doesn't end on that angle, and then ended the show with Redragon vs Jurassic Express. Meaning you have a reason to go 2 minutes over that isn't "an unknown giant is squeezing Samoa Joe's head"

It’s like Game of Thrones thing where a bad ending kills the goodwill for all of the good stuff that came before it. 

I think if they’d had the Joe match around 9 and ended on the Team Tazz tag, it’d been received better. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

"Sir, the Young Bucks aren't booked this week. Please put down your pro-Brandon Cutler sign"

"Who's Brandon Cutler?"

I mentioned in my overview of the Austin show that there were people in the crowd who were trying to be clever with a Let’s Go Brandon chant during his Elevation match.

8 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Bear Country aren't doing anything. Eddie, P&P and Bear Country vs the JAS would be pretty damn fun.

Or they could shoehorn in Jurassic Express somehow, since the champs need something to do

Or, hear me out, have FTR win the belts and then let JE help King and P&P

44 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Yikes. You know something went wrong when TK has to ask Meltz to do damage control for how bad that ending was. Clearly that reasoning was fed to Meltzer directly from TK. And guess what, wrestling fans don't care about your international TV deals. If you can't find an effective and creative way to debut someone without pissing your audience off, maybe don't do it until you do? From my opinion that was the worst segment in AEW history. It wasn't that offensive but it's the building up having an over run for the first time ever. It's doing the lights out gimmick for someone zero percent of the audience will know. It's all for financial reasons in an international market and not because it was meant to be good.

The rest of the show was pretty fucking great, but this is all anyone is talking about. Big booking mistake.

I agree with you entirely. One thing I've unpacked from your post/accompanying link is that if this is supposed to contribute positively to AEW's Indian TV deal, then unfortunately, it seems like there's no possibility Singh is purely an ROH project - he'll be sticking around. In the grand scheme of things, I guess it isn't quite as egregious as WWE Champion Jinder Mahal, but I'd imagine he'll be on the main show. Don't get me wrong, I hope he ends up being great and I have to eat a big ol' helping of my own foot, but dude, when Dirk Nowitzki calls you slow...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1