DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 4/13/2022

The Natural

I thought the Singh debut was fine EXCEPT for the lights-out aspect. Stuff like that implies a huge star coming in, and Singh ain't that. If they just parked the camera on SonJay while Singh piled into the ring and gave the crowd time for the "Type-O! Type-Omigod he's huge!" pop... much better.

I adored the MJF/Dean finish. Wrestling needs more of that - the top tier guy who nevertheless finds a scrub he just can't beat. Like the equivalent of "bogey teams" in soccer.

• Like 10

Yeah, if the main issue is the lights out spot that's totally valid and should only be reserved for biggish stars and Sabu vs. Taz. If he just entered from the back like most everybody else and beat the piss outta Joe this would likely have been received differently. 

Maybe TK had a Vince moment where he thought the sheer size of the guy debuting in the ring would shock people. I don't know. It was the worst spot of an otherwise nice beatdown. I hope Singh recovers. I live and work in an area with a huge Sikh population and want to see this guy succeed. Happy Vaisakhi. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

I'm going to give Singh a pass for now. He's taller than Khali was, and younger. Presumably Paul Wight is going to work with him.

Khali was too bulky for his frame. In WWE I'm sure it added to his aesthetic in their eyes but it hurt his mobility. His whole run was basically him standing there and people bumping for him or he bumping for people when he needed to.

12 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Yeah, if the main issue is the lights out spot that's totally valid and should only be reserved for biggish stars and Sabu vs. Taz. If he just entered from the back like most everybody else and beat the piss outta Joe this would likely have been received differently. 

Maybe TK had a Vince moment where he thought the sheer size of the guy debuting in the ring would shock people. I don't know. It was the worst spot of an otherwise nice beatdown. I hope Singh recovers. I live and work in an area with a huge Sikh population and want to see this guy succeed. Happy Vaisakhi. 

Or just have him come in from the crowd. You know, because he blends right in. As someone who lives in a nabe where dudes actually wear Jinder Mahalo shirts, I too wish him well. He's clearly got some athleticism and with the right training he could be a real diamond in the rough.

Is anyone else as amazed as I was that the "Allons Brandon" sign made it through the entire show? I mean possibly it's just me, but maaaaaaaybe not the best look to have the equivalent of "Fuck Joe Biden" on-screen for two solid hours. I thought a promotion with its share of politics/pop culture wonks would be more on the ball than that.

• Like 4

I think Singh is going to start off like Diesel. He'll be the ringside heater for Dutt and Lethal. He'll get to learn just by being at ringside and possibly shoehorn spots so by the time he gets to work actual matches He'll be atleast a competent worker. I  don't see TK putting him in matches over top guys like WWE does with guys that aren't ready. I expect Lethal and Joe to be a big part of TKs Ring of Honor. I don't see him wasting an early part of Joe's run putting over a guy who's not ready. Something he would have been doing if he was still in WWE/NXT

Edited by Ziggy
  • Like 4

At least Singh didn't debut by breaking out of a large box presented to Samoa Joe!

That being said, I'm on board with this. I'm not on board with Marina Shafir though, that was one real stinker of a squash and Skye Blue deserved better.

I didn't want to bring up that sign but that's why I was incredibly distracted and maybe not in the best of moods watching.  That and worked was mentally exhausting.  So I got some decent sleep, chugged some coffee and gave the first half another shot.  Good thing I did as while I can't force excitement for something seen before it was still a damn good first half.  I get Natural's issues with Penta but I'm not seeing him go as taunt-heavy as he once was.  The botch was unfortunate but I had to laugh at Punk thinking "Fuck this, motherfucker I'm doing this!" and walked Penta through to make it work.  Good match.  JE/Redragon was also really good and it almost bums me out when JE isn't regarded by some as having a great reign.  That may or may not be true but it's not for lack of effort.  And the 6-man tag was a fun watch with the pointing to more signs that they need to even the odds.  Unsure at the moment who to have join Eddie and friends but see it happening when it's closer to Double or Nothing.

As for Singh I see it being tied to TK's announcement next week which will be show plans for ROH.  They're showcasing ROH wrestlers/titles to get some attention back on them and once the ROH show(s) start they'll likely go back there.  And same goes for Singh and crew so he can work on improving without being under a huge microscope.  

• Like 2

Yeah, I may have overstated it last night when I compared Singh's debut to the non-exploding ring. I just felt it was a very deflating ending because of the lights out, and the announced overrun. I agree with everyone who says it would have been better without that. You don't do lights out for a total unknown, I don't care if they're 8 feet tall. Still thought the rest of the show was great (though, I do wonder why the ladies match didn't groove. Both women have had good outings on Dark). Overall, with the trios, the two tag matches, and the opener, there was still tons to love on this show.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Powerhouse Hobbs giving the spinebuster to Keith Lee was all I needed.

Agreed, that was killer (though I do wish Starks picked up the hometown pin). Lee effortlessly grabbing Hobbs in the fireman's carry was dope as hell too. J.R. cracked me up doing "Ricky Stahks" in Taz's voice and I can't stop thinking about it

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Lights out! Lights on!

Who?  

Great show.  Another. Great. Show. Another. Great. Crowd.

Punk/Penta delivered.  Even if the top rope rana was a botch.  It was beautifully covered by a total pro who covered it with some great selling.  Rookies take note.

Tag Title match exceeded my expectations as I’m kind of cold on both teams.  But hey!  Here comes my favorite team in FTR to stir the pot and build of the hard work of an excellent match.

Speaking of exceeding expectations.  Wardlow is blowing my mind with how over he is.  I was laughing with joy at the whole segment.  Everyone gets a cookie.

My highlight of the show was Lee/Swerve vs. Starks/Hobbs.  Stole the fucking show for me.  Lee seems a tad slower than I’ve seen him in the past but his hard work pushed it through.  Starks was great.  Hobbs I think really had a moment last night and I’m here for it.

Ortiz still had the shoes come match time.  Loved it.  6 man was decent.

I love me some chop battles.  So tonight was my night.  The novelty of Suzuki being on North American television won’t last forever if he keeps losing.  But yeah vs. Joe ruled all the ass.  

I love you AEW.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Agreed, that was killer (though I do wish Starks picked up the hometown pin). Lee effortlessly grabbing Hobbs in the fireman's carry was dope as hell too. J.R. cracked me up doing "Ricky Stahks" in Taz's voice and I can't stop thinking about it

Hobbs needed a direct win way more than Starks. If Starks got the win, it's just a cherry on his sundae of the hometown pop he got. Hobbs getting the win helps him out tremendously. It's win/win for both; Starks looked like a star, Hobbs gets a good win.

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

To reinforce wins and losses mattering, I’m hoping to see Shawn Dean get a TNT title shot on TV soon. Would add more gravitas to these MJF losses.

Scorpio Sky calling Shawn Dean a stand up guy worthy of a title shot would be great.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

Yo this is so so so so good. I love the BCC's "Get rid of the goofy stuff" mantra when you know that Regal/Danielson/Mox love the goofier side of wrestling more than they do the "serious" side of wrestling at this part of their careers. 

"You need insulin. Ya'll are fatter than Zion Williamson." 

Edited by Greggulator
  • Like 4

I enjoyed all the good wrestling on the show. the ending was a bit flat but to put it anywhere near the barbed wire exploding death match on the shit finishes list would be somewhat of a knee jerk reaction, in my opinion. There always has to be a spot for a giant in wrestling, right? But then again, I was the kid that thought Giant Gonzales was great. 

• Like 3

Overall a great night of wrestling, but given how hot that crowd was for everything they liked, which was like 90% of the show, it’s hard not to focus on how SILENT they were for what they didn’t like.

Everything about that Marina match was bad. I would imagine her glacial pace was supposed to conjure thoughts of some methodical killer, but in reality is just came across as her looking like she didn’t know what she was doing. The less said about the “Baddie Section” the better, though I could totally get behind the idea of Red Velvet and Kiera Hogan as part of Jade’s entourage. 

Agree with most here that the Singh debut wouldn’t have been so bad had they not done the lights out gimmick, but even still, dude is going to stick out like a sore thumb on this show and I can’t see any future crowds reacting any differently to him, especially as part of this nothing angle with Lethal and Sonjay. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Rewatching this morning, maaaaaan, Wardlow is over.  MJF is great at getting over angles.  

Yep. MJF vs. Cody, MJF vs. Chris Jericho (that's more divisive), MJF vs. CM Punk the best of the lot and now MJF vs. Wardlow.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

I was there live last night and it's been kinda weird reading the online feedback because people seem really hung up on the last few minutes. That show was great live and the crowd was hot the whole night. We also had a relatively long dark segment with BCC, Danhausen, The Acclaimed and Ricky Starks. I wasn't super into Starks before this but that dude is going to be a huge star. 

I have always been impressed with the pacing of the TV shows but it goes even faster live. There was little to no dead time and it was just match, match match with nothing being bad outside of the Shafir match. She wasn't bad but the crowd was not in the mood for a slow match. Joe and Suzuki was over huge live and those chops were so damn loud. A couple of times tonight ( in the punk and suzuki matches for sure) the wrestlers would do the strike exchange the crowd would get into it and then would die down, but the wrestlers kept going so the crowd picked it back up again with even more intensity. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

As I've said elsewhere, MJF is like a modern day Tully Blanchard. Prototypical rich jock asshole, who brings the wrestling in boatloads when required. I could even see him doing Tully's old gimmick of being super-nice to everyone away from the ring because "I'm not a bad guy, it's everyone else who makes me bad" or whatever if it weren't for the fact that no, he IS that bad a guy.

• Like 4