DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 4/13/2022

The Natural

Lights off/lights on reveal gimmick is dead in the ground, and I never want to see it in wrestling again, especially when AEW has no idea how to effectively use it properly.

I don't know why they can only put on one women's match a week. I don't know why Shafir/Skye Blue was the match to do it with. Is Shafir even under contract? It seemed like they were maybe building her up as a possible contender for Jade Cargill. OK, fresh matchup for Cargill and all, but we can only get one women's match per Dynamite? And lots of other quality women aren't getting TV or match time on cable. It's problematic to me. And it's not just happening on the women's side either.

And now they are featuring ROH guys on Battle of the Belts, presumably guys not under contract because it's Battle of the Belts and you need title matches.

And oh, another big announcement next week. 

I'm starting to suspect Tony Khan has spread himself rather thin. The seams look like they are starting to rip.

• Like 1

oh yeah, essentially saying "we haven't seen the official brackets for the Owen Hart tournament" on air was a weird tribute to Mid-South and other promotions of the past that ran multiweek tournaments that kinda sorta didn't make sense.

Only they're not giving out a Medallion for this one, are they?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Man, seeing all the complaining about Satnam is making my disconnect from the board consensus grow larger by the second. That guy looks awesome. He does the Khali/Rey cranium crush. How the fuck you going to hate on that?

Really good show. Marina is cool but they fucked up her music. She's the anti-Britt Baker/Adam Cole/Ruby Soho in that she's da ice woman so you'll never see her do the stupid fucking nxt face.

Tag matches both crushed it. All four of the men in the Taz tag are stars. Wardlow is a star. MJF is a god. Next week looks intense between Butcher/Wardlow and Darby/Andrade in da coffin. 

Really  sad to see the Battle for the Belts shows treated like an afterthought. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

I have no issue with them debuting Singh as they do need to build their own stars, but doing it in the "overrun" spot AND with a lights out gimmick was just a really bad idea. Do a backstage segment or something with him attacking someone mid-show, or... literally anything other than what they did. There was no way that was going to go well.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

They could have had Suzuki vs Joe at the halfway point so that the show doesn't end on that angle, and then ended the show with Redragon vs Jurassic Express. Meaning you have a reason to go 2 minutes over that isn't "an unknown giant is squeezing Samoa Joe's head"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

They could have had Suzuki vs Joe at the halfway point so that the show doesn't end on that angle, and then ended the show with Redragon vs Jurassic Express. Meaning you have a reason to go 2 minutes over that isn't "an unknown giant is squeezing Samoa Joe's head"

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Dog said:

In case you're sleeping on this -- herein Regal finally meets Danhausen.

Regal is the fucking best. The Acclaimed are also the fucking best. Wonder what they cut out of Caster’s rap?

• Like 2

Recorded the show for Joe/Suzuki.

Caught the tag titles match which was pretty good, and I think the first time I have ever seen Jurassic Express. They and ReDragon make for good rivals.

Also caught Lee/Swerve vs. Starks/Hobbs. Solid match. Swerve and Lee looked great. First time seeing Starks and Hobbs and they looked pretty solid. Looks like Lee is gradually getting back to where he was before all of his health issues hit him in WWE.

Joe/Suzuki was good stuff and fun overall. Even with their limits due to age and injury they brought the attitude and stiffness. That was the best match Joe has had in years.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Speaking of, they should've done something about the asshat who thought he was being clever with the "Allons Brandon" sign in the front row.

"Sir, the Young Bucks aren't booked this week. Please put down your pro-Brandon Cutler sign"

"Who's Brandon Cutler?"

• Like 1

Are they having trouble booking Kingston/P&P's backup or something? This is the third week in a row where they eat a 5 on 3 beatdown. They might be taking the sports entertainment a little too far, channeling 96 NWO or Evolution. The ending of that segment was way more flat than the final segment. Actually, between that, Adam-Cole affiliated guys losing clean but still trying to continue the feud, Nyla attacking Thunder backstage, and Wardlow beating up a dozen security guards while failing to get his hands on MJF, there were a lot more dull holding-pattern segments to complain about over the main.

Like, ok, Joe/Lethal in 2022 isn't super exciting, but some (or maybe a lot who knows) of it will be contained in whatever form ROH takes, and the giant stiff will likely be mostly an enforcer on the main shows, not working 15 minute matches.

At least the in-ring action was good between JE/RD, Team Taz/Lee-Swerve, and Joe/Suzuki. A mediocre Dynamite is still an enjoyable show.

Wondering who would be a good 4th/5th guy to backup Kingston/P&P

Sting and Darby might still be busy with Andrade past the coffin match

I guess the Hardy’s could stumble down the ramp

Trent and Chuck Taylor have probably crossed paths with Eddie and P&P in some setting that I didn’t watch.

Bear Country aren't doing anything. Eddie, P&P and Bear Country vs the JAS would be pretty damn fun.

Or they could shoehorn in Jurassic Express somehow, since the champs need something to do

Edited by BrianS81177

Meh. It was a misstep on a fantastic show. But if TK has to sacrifice one show closing spot to keep execs happy/get more eyes on his company/get airtime in a different country then that’s fine and should be fine with fans of the company. 

• Like 2