DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 4/13/2022

The Natural

1 hour ago, GodzillaPerez said:

As good as all of the in ring work was tonight, the MVP of the show was Nyla Rose.

I love cake...AND VIOLENCE was the line of the year. I lol’d hard. I may have to create a sig file for that.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Can someone explain why they are trying to make Sonjay Dutt into some former ROH star.  I would be shocked if Dutt had more than 4 matches ever.    Hell based on this they should bring DLo Brown in too

According to cagematch, he had 2 matches in 2003 and 2 matches in 2004 there, did a one-off challenging Bryan for the title in 2006, then was a regular from May '09 into 2010 with two more one-offs in 2013 and 2017 for a total of 26.

But agreed, he still doesn't feel like an ROH star like that. Looks like D'Lo had 16 matches in 2009, so agreed on that front as well!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Can someone explain why they are trying to make Sonjay Dutt into some former ROH star.  I would be shocked if Dutt had more than 4 matches ever.    Hell based on this they should bring DLo Brown in too

Your point still stands but cagematch shows him having 27 matches in ROH.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I love cake...AND VIOLENCE was the line of the year. I lol’d hard. I may have to create a sig file for that.

All of it was hilarious.

"Letters cost extra and you ain't worth the money."

"Do you think I'm stupid?"

"...Yes!"

Everything else was *snicker* the icing on the cake.

Edited by GodzillaPerez
  • Like 6

Just now, Swift said:

That Shafir match was odd. I've never seen her before. Is she always so slow moving? I'm thinking the Cargill match could be a bit of a trainwreck unfortunately.

I saw one or two Dark matches and yes, she’s...methodical. Crowd could not have cared less for her.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, JLowe said:

I’ll be watching on a couple hour DVR delay tonight.

I expect Suzuki-Joe to rule.

I expect Penta-Punk to be a mess.

I expect the tag match to have shenanigans that lead to a triple threat at Battle of the Belts.

I expect Skye Blue to get squashed for angle advancement.

I expect the 6-man to have some great moments of violence before turning into a total schmozz. Maybe BCC runs out to help Kingston and crew.

I expect something different to happen with Dean-MJF because having Wardlow destroy security, while fun, is going to get old fast.

I honestly have no idea what to expect from Lee-Swerve vs. Team Taz.

1. 2 minutes of skin welting chops? Rule.

2. Better match than I expected but still not good and was indeed a mess. Penta is so fungible to me.

3. I was wrong. Fantastic match, Luchasaurus is so limited but his 5 moves of doom are very over. Surprised at the clean win. Having FTR confront the losers after the match was an odd choice.

4. Total crowd-killing squash.

5. I honestly expected blood but it had some good moments of violence from Eddie and Santana, and was a solid match before my predicted schmozz. Now that “Judas” has gone gold, they need to change Jericho’s theme so he can be a true heel. The knock-off on the WWF opening was funny though.

6. That one was a gimme. It’s getting old to me, but I guess we’ll at least get Wardlow back in the ring.

7. I got the match of the night that I didn’t expect! I’ve come around huge on Starks, he’s a star. Hobbs is coming along. Swerve and Lee, as I said elsewhere, are seemingly a natural tag team and I honestly would like to see that continue. Hobbs power slamming Lee sounded like a bomb went off.

That ending reminded me so much of Nitro, where you’d have a bunch of really good wrestling and then some bullshit ending that killed the mood.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I think Lee and Strickland could be an excellent tag team, they had a lot of chemistry and double team moves. Have they worked as a tag before?

Yes, before either one was signed to WWE, they tagged a few times.

Satnav Sing is a great gimmick, though. Whenever you approach a junction, just giving you directions in a tuneful, melodic manner. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I think Lee and Strickland could be an excellent tag team, they had a lot of chemistry and double team moves. Have they worked as a tag before?
Swerve’s double springboard moonsault off Lee’s chest was my HOLY SHIT moment of the night,

They had a couple of matches together right before Lee got signed by WWE

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

Satnav Sing is a great gimmick, though. Whenever you approach a junction, just giving you directions in a tuneful, melodic manner. 

An Indian opera singer is a gimmick I can get behind. I'd like to hear him sing Pagliacci. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Swift said:

That Shafir match was odd. I've never seen her before. Is she always so slow moving? I'm thinking the Cargill match could be a bit of a trainwreck unfortunately.

it's the Moldovan style of wrestling

(I made up that phrase)

The whole mentions of "Indian former basketball player" made me check up on Sim Bhullar. So I know now that Sim Bhullar is playing basketball in Taiwan while being 7'5/360.

• Like 3

Okay, just dropping in rn to point out how money Daddy Magic Matt Minard doing the old WWF intro for the JAS entrance with his stupid accent. 100%.

I'll read the rest of the thread when I finish but I'm laughing way too hard at this. 

Wardlow/MJF stuff is so much fun and working so well. Wardlow doing the Running Man camera intimidation was hella cool.

• Like 6

I think part of the reason the overrun fell flat to me is because so much of what TK has booked this year has been aces, and there have been very few misses. But when Uncle Tony misses, Uncle Tony misses big. That was truly awful. I understand the thinking behind wanting to develop your own stars. I think by and large they've done that very well. I understand sticking a newly trained rookie with two reliable vets like Sonjay and Lethal. All of that makes sense to me, and if they'd had that Suzuki/Joe match segment 1 of BOTB, that angle would've been much more palatable. But that was a really good Dynamite. Ricky Starks getting THAT reaction in Nawlins was a true feel good moment, and JAS/King and co was a perfectly acceptable tv match. But Suzuki/Joe was a glorious display of stiff work and the best strong style action American tv has to offer, and you follow it with THAT? That was a miss on the level of "non exploding death match ring" and "the Elite cosplay the nwo for months after people stopped giving a shit." 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, just drew said:

I think part of the reason the overrun fell flat to me is because so much of what TK has booked this year has been aces, and there have been very few misses. But when Uncle Tony misses, Uncle Tony misses big. That was truly awful. I understand the thinking behind wanting to develop your own stars. I think by and large they've done that very well. I understand sticking a newly trained rookie with two reliable vets like Sonjay and Lethal. All of that makes sense to me, and if they'd had that Suzuki/Joe match segment 1 of BOTB, that angle would've been much more palatable. But that was a really good Dynamite. Ricky Starks getting THAT reaction in Nawlins was a true feel good moment, and JAS/King and co was a perfectly acceptable tv match. But Suzuki/Joe was a glorious display of stiff work and the best strong style action American tv has to offer, and you follow it with THAT? That was a miss on the level of "non exploding death match ring" and "the Elite cosplay the nwo for months after people stopped giving a shit." 

If you had to run that stupid angle at the end, open up with Suzuki/Joe and close with Jurassic Express/ReDRagon. Better still don't do it at all. Who gives a shit about Jay Lethal, Sonjay Dutt and Santam Singh? The ring exploding that never was at Revolution 2021 is the worst ending to an AEW show, then this one.

• Like 1

Punk/Penta wasn't as bad as I thought going into it but it's the worst CM Punk match of the ones I've seen since his return to wrestling. I'm glad there's people here who like Penta. Penta does nothing for me though and his moveset is 90% spam taunt. I want to slap the shit outta him.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

The Marina Shafir signing (whether short term or long term) is to me the oddest signing AEW has done and that covers a lot of ground. She trained in NXT for THREE YEARS and by my rough count had six non-battle royal televised matches (zero singles matches). She was considered to be the worst of the "four horsewomen" at wrestling to the point they (rumored) scrapped plans for them to tag with Rousey due to two of the four being so bad. That match against Skye Blue felt like it was 20 minutes long (it was 2.5) and died a death with the crowd not seen since Rob Conway because her offense is ultra slow and ultra boring. People talk about X-Pac heat, and I get it, but dead silence is the worst reaction any wrestler can get.

They need to have her lose to Jade (I shudder just thinking of that match) and quickly fade into nothingness. Not everyone is cut out to be a pro wrestler, sadly Shafir is one of those people. If that is the best she can do after 3+ years of training, it just isn't going to click.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The Marina Shafir signing (whether short term or long term) is to me the oddest signing AEW has done and that covers a lot of ground. She trained in NXT for THREE YEARS and by my rough count had six non-battle royal televised matches (zero singles matches). She was considered to be the worst of the "four horsewomen" at wrestling to the point they (rumored) scrapped plans for them to tag with Rousey due to two of the four being so bad. That match against Skye Blue felt like it was 20 minutes long (it was 2.5) and died a death with the crowd not seen since Rob Conway because her offense is ultra slow and ultra boring. People talk about X-Pac heat, and I get it, but dead silence is the worst reaction any wrestler can get.

They need to have her lose to Jade (I shudder just thinking of that match) and quickly fade into nothingness. Not everyone is cut out to be a pro wrestler, sadly Shafir is one of those people. If that is the best she can do after 3+ years of training, it just isn't going to click.

It was Jessamyn Duke who was considered the worst. People seemed like what Shafir was doing in the indies.

• Sad 1