DVDVR Message Board

Backlash X7 - 5/8/2022

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

Thinking the MITB matches could full on replace the Rumble matches. While the Day 1 PLE could replace the Royal Rumble PLE.

I don't think they would outright replace The Rumble. It's one of the oldest traditions / most over events they do. And with MITB in July this year, setting up Mania matches 8-9 months in advance with the way they change their minds is a recipe for disaster. But he had to have said that for a reason. Just a bizarre sound byte to leave in if there's no purpose for it.

I guess I could see them shifting The Rumble to a different month and taking away the winners getting Mania title matches away, but never outright replace it with Day 1. It's Pat Patterson's legacy. He was one of Vince's closest and best friends in the business. I just can't see Vince scrapping the concept altogether.

Also, 2023 is supposed to be the big and final test of Roman's.  

Unless they already know for certain that a) Roman won't have the belt next April, b) He won't be available, or c) That they're splitting the belts soon-ish...  it doesn't make sense to mess with The Rumble as the set up for Mania.  

And knowing Vince's proclivities for throwing everything out... yeah this don't make no sense. 

Maybe they’re just doing some word gymnastics to overhype something and then get out of it on a technicality. Like, Well you can use the briefcase to challenge the winner of the wrestlemania main event. We never guaranteed it would happen. 

• Like 1

It's all a set up for the MitB winner to get a shot at WWE Wrestlemania SummerSlam (shit, if AAA is having 3 TripleMania's this year, I'm sure Vince isn't above having 3 WrestleManias) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

The only time they did the announced waiting til Mania to cash in gimmick was Kennedy, right? And then he got hurt? 

Not a bad idea to dust that one off again. Hey, Cody could go from never getting a title shot again to guaranteeing he’s getting one in 9 months

Daniel Bryan did as well, and then cashed in/heel turned in the Big Show/Mark Henry feud.

23 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

"One lucky male and female will win the chance to main event WrestleMania"

Interesting wording making it sound like MITB took over the Rumble or something.

WrestleMania Money in the Bank

13 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I don't think they would outright replace The Rumble.

WrestleMania Rumble

Old Glory Torture Rack